It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's staffer worked to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
www.abc.net.au...
Is this the future for all of us?It seems to me with obama and pelosi and frank and reed running the country it just might be.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

20 hours per week over time? That is not excessive....not even close!! I thought Japanese people had this horrific work ethic where they worked outrageous amounts anyway?

I have worked an average of 20 - 30 hours per week overtime for about 10 years!! The job I had before that, I saw 80 hours per week routinely!!

At least in the US, we get paid for our overtime, but still, 20 hours by no means "worked her to death"!!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I work more overtime that that a week and i rotate from days to nights every 3 or 4 days. There are hundreds of employees on my same schedule and have been for several years. No deaths here.
Eat healthy and get lots of rest in your off time. A little bit of exercise won’t hurt either.
If you live a high stress life it will take its toll.
Also genetics is a factor. Some people are are destined to explode at a young age.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Overtime? What is that!?

I work 8:30am to 5pm Mon to Fri

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Probably a mix between long days and the free food you can get while working at MaccyD's, mix them both together and theyre lethal.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Is the Japanese regular work week 40 hours?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
well, when we will get retired at the age of 72-73 we will work to death for sure

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
Probably a mix between long days and the free food you can get while working at MaccyD's, mix them both together and theyre lethal.

Now that I can believe!! 60-70 hours a week, and surviving on McD food will surely kill you quick!!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This is Japan, what the heck to Pelosi and Reid have to do with someone working 20 hours overtime at a McDonalds in Japan?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I've worked two full-time jobs before. 80 hours a week was exhausting but not exhausting to the point of death. It might make you sick of work, but not physically sick. And it wasn't a temporary thing either. I did it for almost 2 years.

I've even worked 20 hour days for 20 days at a time at a single job before taking a solitary day off and then started the whole thing over again when working on big projects. Granted, I'd only do such for a year to 16 months at a time, but still, 120 hour weeks trumps 60 hour weeks no matter how you shake a stick at it.

Even when I wasn't working so much I would juggle a full-time job, part-time school, and tag-team parenting with no sleep longer than 20 minutes at a time for 9 months before I said enough is enough.

I've even worked non-stop for 24 years before ever finally taking a vacation (and I took 13 months off when I finally took one).

Unless you are doing physically demanding hard-labor, you cannot be worked to death unless you already have a pre-existing health condition.

I'm going to chalk this up as sensationalistic reporting. The person either let their health seriously deteriorate, or failed to get plenty of fluids and food, and died of malnutrition and/or dehydration. I doubt they worked themselves to death working a paltry 60 hours a week.

However, as for the Retirement age in the U.S. going up and up and up...that peaves me off to no end. I already know there won't be Social Security for my generation when we are ready to retire, but considering our grandparents and parents were able to retire at 62 and 65 respectively, the thought that the Retirement age for my generation has been upped to 70 and most likely upped again to 75-75 in the not-to-distant future, really rubs me raw. I don't work myself to exhaustion, wasting the prime of my years for nothing! If I can't be sitting on a beach in Cabo drinking Cervezas for the last third of my life, then what's the point?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
O no! If 20 hours of overtime per week (or up to 100 hours per month) kills you, my husband is in big trouble. He had 84 hours for the last several weeks. I don't think the Japanese have anything on him.

Can you imagine dying for a McDonald's job? Yikes

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing,and this is a epitome of the people that are living under pressure,however,take care of your health,which comes first.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
sorry for repetition,but i can't delete this ,i have tried many times .

edit on 10-9-2010 by skyvia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
i used to be a cook at applebees and the managers were too stupid to hire the staff needed, so basically we would all end up working over sixty hours each week. i felt like i was a manager, except with a way crappier pay check. then after that i would have to walk around 8 miles home because i would be there so late that the busses stopped running by the time i got out of work. no one would so much as offer me a ride. f#ck applebees.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
Is this the future for all of us?It seems to me with obama and pelosi and frank and reed running the country it just might be.

Are you suggesting that Obama and Pelosi are the President and Speaker of the house of Japan too???

Because they aren't..... obama and pelosi have NOTHING to do with this story, even by the biggest stretch of the imagination.... So, why are you bringing US politics into a story about a Japanese fast food employee dying for "being worked to death"?

top topics

join