It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisons may release inmates because of budget

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Prisons may release inmates because of budget

www.kob.com

The state corrections department says budget cuts will force them to close two prisons and let some inmates out on early release.

The Women’s Prison at Grants and the Roswell Correctional Center will have to shut down if the governor signs the budget-slashing bill the legislature passed in special session last week. So says Corrections Secretary Joe Williams.

Close to 600 convicts are in the Women’s Prison. Some would be transferred, some would get out on early release.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Even here in a state mostly untouched by the housing collapse is having trouble due to a loss of taxable revenue... While we're only taking about a total of 660 prisoners here think how bad it will be in other states like Calif and FL. places where they house tens of thousands in their prison system...

www.kob.com

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Maybe this will force the legal entities to take a closer look at who's in these prisons. We should have stopped wasting money housing and feeding drug users and vagrants a long time ago.

But if I know government they'll use this to force the issue that more taxes are better and they'll out of their way to release murderers and child rapists just to make the point. Like when money gets tight they always drag out the "we need more taxes or we'll lay off all the police and close the schools" card rather than cutting the millions in administrative and executive fat down at city hall.

They just keep scaring the idiots into more taxation.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If they will only be giving Early Releases' to a nominal Few inmates....

then the system that is in fiscal trouble is not being rational

i.e. every inmate that is in for possession of Pot should be paroled,
lots of inmates are unrightiously held in prison...

and this (lack of revenue) situation should be used to help right the wrongs that have compounded over the years !

that's my position

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Just so you know here pot smokers may end up in county lock up but not at The Women’s Prison at Grants... that's for the real bad girls the ones likely to stab you in the back (Literally) kind of people...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Maybe this will force the legal entities to take a closer look at who's in these prisons. We should have stopped wasting money housing and feeding drug users and vagrants a long time ago.

But if I know government they'll use this to force the issue that more taxes are better and they'll out of their way to release murderers and child rapists just to make the point. Like when money gets tight they always drag out the "we need more taxes or we'll lay off all the police and close the schools" card rather than cutting the millions in administrative and executive fat down at city hall.

They just keep scaring the idiots into more taxation.

God I hate to agree with this post...

The sense of this post, is eerily okay.

It makes sense, wish I could star it a few more times...

I can't add anything but to hope more will star it, it's a great post.

But a sad, deeply sad point.

GJ TGRT Sad Point, Good Post.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Even here in a state mostly untouched by the housing collapse is having trouble due to a loss of taxable revenue... While we're only taking about a total of 660 prisoners here think how bad it will be in other states like Calif and FL. places where they house tens of thousands in their prison system...

www.kob.com

I agree, this isn't a big deal and they should be focusing attention elsewhere. How about releasing the poor souls in there trapped with murderers and rapists who continue to rape and murder because they have no chance of release when the guy has a non-violent, victimless crime such as marijuana possesion or growing or distributuion?(as long as it wasn't to a minor)
We have guys who are not a danger to society and would never hurt a fly who just want to do their time and get out, but they are forced to make weapons and get into deafly fights with the caged monsters they are trapped with. These folks are just not reformable. They know they will never get out, they know they won't get put to death, so they are put in a haven where they can satisfy their murderous and perverted hobbies without fear of consequences!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Very simple solution
instead of releasing so many convicts how about doing something smart?
how about stop making everything illegal?
stop sending people who either smoked something the govt. thinks they shouldn't or people who get detained for no apparent reason.

If they do that they can both cut down on the police force, ruin less people's lives by sending them to jail and that way you can save money and keep people who truly deserve to stay in jail.

I mean why not use your brains for once?
Don't they know everytime the govt. makes a product illegal a black market is created?

Why are politicians some of the dumbest people on the planet?
I don't get it!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Good.

I am all for a review of the people locked up. Prison is just prison, its in no way or shape even remotely "reform". The state locks people up for doing anything and thats it until the person is released...then suddenly the person released has a F tag on his head, making it damn near impossible to find a job (nice christian people would never hire a felon.)...making them desperate and voila, a crime committed again and the person potentially back in prison.

Reform them...each case should be considered..the system we have is ineffective, stupid, and wasteful. Hire some therapists to evaluate the population one by one and make repeat offending less likely to happen...remove all but the first degree felonys from a constant lockup system (or repeat 2nd degrees perhaps) and use halfway houses instead...get them productive verses a weight on society. The majority of crimes are committed on a percieved necessity...and that percieved necessity may still be there when they get out unless they get help.

Bah.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
i can see this happening in England as well as the USA. the world is in a state of global meltdown that is currently paying for the mistakes it made years ago.
i believe that we should take a step back and look at the prisoners in there. a homeless vagrant takes up a cell, a killer stands out side the walls of the buildings looking smug, a crowd passing him. he knows he wont go to prison because they're full. the vagrant wants to be released , he knows he is only committing the crime of survival.
who would YOU give the cell to?
a homeless man who has done nothing wrong or a killer who has killed, i dunno, your best mate?
the money the government is spending to keep the killer under watch shouldn't have to be spent like this. sling him in a cell and you save a lot of cash.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by zimbabre
the money the government is spending to keep the killer under watch shouldn't have to be spent like this. sling him in a cell and you save a lot of cash.

Obviously thats not the average though...and typically, that killer (assuming your talking about someone on probation) is actually paying monthly to be out until their time is up, so the state is actually making a bit of money off of him because he is out and paying.

I think probation is one of the few things our legal system has gotten right actually...the stipulations of probation sometimes addresses the issues of the crime...therapy, etc. Some conditions are stupid and counterintuitive.

Such as, a person whom has had a DUI cannot drink...why? I would think that part of rehab is for him to drink without being tempted to drive...why wait for the person to be unmonitered before he has to decide.

bah...our system was designed by old grannys whom feared criminals (as a whole, not as a person since they dont know any of the actual cases beyond what hollywood shows them)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

California witch hunt trials, they will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law no matter the evidence, the crime, your background, or how much it affects your family. Untill everyone starts standing up for eachother and stops fighting eachother inside the system nothing is going to change. I am personaly being affected by the witch hunt trials as i have been fighting a case for over a year. A case in which we have video evidence to prove my innocence, but the court evades showing it in the courtroom. This is all due to the fact that i can't afford a lawyer. Most of these people in the system are affected the same way.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Good article Bear. I think this needs more attention. Maybe I added you to the "FOE" section too quickly. I am frusterated right now because i have what I believe is a thread on the biggest news in years on voting machined, but no one cares...oh well what can you do eh?
Star and flag on this, i hope it get's a lot of attention.

new topics

top topics

join