It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1375 Replies and 189 Flags, what was with the October threads, will we ever learn?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I never starred or flagged those threads. It's like Y2K and all the hype there. Predictions seldom come true and often fail. Not that there aren't probable outcomes based on real world events:

1.) US / Isreal go to war with Iran - Highly probable.
2.) India / China go to war over border dispute in Tibet - Unlikely.
3.) Recession turns into a depression - Highly probable.
4.) H1N1 bridges into H5N1 through viral gene sharing - probable but not likely.
6.) A nuclear bomb will go off on a populated area - probable.

It is better to base prediction based on current trends as probability then as fact... like December 21, 2009 the world will implode.

I like probability predictions, that say December 21, 2009 we might see a further collapse of the US economy as more and more nations move away from the Dollar in favor of other trading currencies... or the housing market was far worst then first predicted and forclosures are up another %1,000.00.

They tend to have more likeliness then a 6 year old talking crap about the future or some guy with a crystal on his head telling us Aliens told him that New York will be destroyed by locusts on January 1, 2010.

Follow reality not fantasy, plenty of doom and gloom in just the every going war on terror and globalization.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by YouAreDreaming]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

But to star and flag these threads, when essentially there is no real evidence, just the hunch of the OP, and for the threads to be so popular, speaks volumes for the mentality and maturity of some members, I feel.

People flag and star for different reasons.

Some of these threads may be the bandwagon effect. People jump on just in case it is true, they can say they already knew. Others join to debunk. Then some jump in just for the sake of arguing. Many other reasons as well.

I personally find many of these threads entertaining, especially when people give a reason as to why they think something might happen.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I agree Kiwi but I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Most members are looking for the exact content you describe. Whether it is factual or not doesn't matter.

ATS found a niche and they are exploiting it !!

I think the MODS have a directive to tow the line and they do a good job of enforcing it by deleting threads and censoring and warnings.

Feed the machine
Feed the machine

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by venividivici
I agree Kiwi but I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Most members are looking for the exact content you describe. Whether it is factual or not doesn't matter.

ATS found a niche and they are exploiting it !!

I think the MODS have a directive to tow the line and they do a good job of enforcing it by deleting threads and censoring and warnings.

Feed the machine
Feed the machine

Hm, I'm seeing what you're saying, and as I said in a previous post i'm not sure that I'd want to see these thread gone, but it's just the way everyone gets in on it!

feed the machine - never a truer word spoken mate!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
[url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread514817/pg1#pid743771

Good point mate, but is it fair to say the interests of ATS would be better served getting it right?

i've been busy all day getting security devices for my electric vehicle,
(too bad i 'need' to do that in the 1st place)
so i couldn't respond until now (5:30PM zip code 29577 / or 5 hrs + GMT)

reply:

the ATS grander interest is allowing All viewpoints,
whether that view agrees with our personal conclusions or not.
The plethora of 'gloom & doom' oriented posts...may only be the 'surface' response -> with a deeper thought being considered by the authors...
@ a later date !

being persons that 'see' or 'hope' that others will eventually accept that there are Alternatives which are Reasonable...we can overlook the passions that are 'from-the-gut'...and not condem them nor gloss-over the post & posters.

as i & others pointed out...the 2012 end-times are nothing more than re-packaged Mythic & Biblical Apocalypses/Armegeddons

be
, as i know you are

[edit on 29-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Why do some people slow down their cars to gawk at the scene of an accident? Why do some people still touch something when they are told not to because it’s hot? Why do some people go out of the house into the freezing cold without their jackets even though they have been told not too?

Here is the perhaps the underlying reality people have a dualistic nature. On one hand they have a driving need to know. On the other hand they have a driving need to deny what they know.

Some people will say the glass is half full, some people will say the glass is half empty.

Some people see something positive in doing negative things. Some people see something negative in doing positive things.

For most people reality is simply based upon their perception.

There is a better chance than not that any of us are even remotely correct in understanding our unique roles in the universe.

People have for a very long time needed to take many things on faith as a result of that. Faith in G-d, faith in the Government, faith that the sun will come up tomorrow, faith that pony for Christmas is still coming. I know I am a little too big for that pony now but hey it’s the thought that counts!

The opposite side of that coin is pessimism and fear. That dual belief that we hope for and want to have faith in might be for naught. That perhaps we have been naughty and not nice, that perhaps someone else has been naughty and not nice. That G-d will abandon or punish us, that the Government will fail us, that the sun won’t come up tomorrow and that not one rotten no good human being on this whole lousy stinking good for nothing planet loves me enough to get me one stinking little pony for Christmas that I promise to feed!

When times are good people’s faith and hope tends to run high. When times are bad people’s pessimism and fear tends to hold sway.

During those times when people’s pessimism and fear holds sway people often feel frustrated because they lack the personal skills, resources and logistical ability to physically accomplish or manifest those things that would constitute a return of hope and faith.

They surrender to that notion and assume because of that, that all is lost, that somewhere, someplace some evil insidious dark force is going to take advantage of their own vulnerability and helplessness. That they will swoop in and deliver the killing shot, and that it is better to prepare for ultimate surrender and accept that pitiful imagined fate.

This is human nature, but only too the extent both skeptics and conspiracists alike take things on faith.

In a faith based world with faith based religious and governmental institutions people are literally taught not to take action or responsibility but to simply have faith that someone more suitably empowered, presumably wiser, and ideally more capable will either make their hopes and dreams come true or in the opposite case bring them chaos, misery and death.

We live in a world where a large percentage of us don’t want to understand life and the universe’s mysteries or discover them but to instead take on faith varying explanations that inevitably leads people to argue and become divided in regards to these great mysteries. This of course leads to the chaos and stagnation and eventual regression that breed bad times. Trust in the Government, trust in God, it’s wrong for you to imagine you have some similar or equal or greater power than they to effect the world and make it a better place.

So people conditioned to just trust in faith are left to view circumstances and ponder them and react with either hope or fear, optimism or pessimism and to do nothing about it.

For those who didn’t buy into the October threads you are equally as guilty as what I have described as those who did buy into the October threads. In essence whether you created the arguments, or simply took part in them, took the doom and gloom stance, or the that’s just crazy talk stance, you entered a counter productive argument that accomplished nothing. Whether you imagine you won that argument or lost in that argument the reality is the world
is not any better off then it was in September and is likely worse off, because arguing is just not very productive.

Faith based systems have done this to us. Faith based systems have us enslaved to things we do not fully understand and are not going to until we move beyond faith alone and start examining things more intelligently and rationally in a way that is not an argument driven by ego, but is an active exploration driven by intellect to make the world a more peaceful, loving, productive, and friendly healthy place.

That sure isn’t going to happen arguing about when the world is going to end!

[edit on 29/10/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

I completely agree on that point, but this isn't about my personal beliefs or viewpoint, rather than looking back at a failed predictiion and concluding that it was a load of poo!

Do we just let anyone predict any old BS or do we hold ourselves to a more exacting yardstick?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
When times are good people’s faith and hope tends to run high. When times are bad people’s pessimism and fear tends to hold sway.

I think you've called it correctly there!

[edit on 29-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Hey ATS, I guess you are all like me, a little disappointed that we've made it through this most recent of 'End Times' unscathed.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

Well that certainly wins most ridiculous comment on ATS for all of october.
You wish for the end? Commit suicide then.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by thesneakiod

There were plenty of predictions involving October, ET Disclosure, Financial Collapse, Eartquakes, Assasinations, Political Crises and so on!

I'm not disappointed to come through alive, of course not, but for NOTHING to have gone down was an anti- climax.

I always find 'well go and kill yourself' posts very odd.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

I completely agree on that point, but this isn't about my personal beliefs or viewpoint, rather than looking back at a failed predictiion and concluding that it was a load of poo!

Do we just let anyone predict any old BS or do we hold ourselves to a more exacting yardstick?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i hope your not suggesting that only Herd Mentality or Group Think
are the only condoned thoughts that are allowable...
as the 'exacting yardstick' you stated above.

BS has its place too

Item #2.... darn it, I forgot....i'll remember then do another post

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

...but for NOTHING to have gone down was an anti- climax.

Item #2: Ah ha i remember now....
We just do not know what may have begun to UnFold starting Oct 25-26.

for instance, last night on Thursdays C2C AM, the one guest was telling us of the newest & unexpectedly rarer SunSpot that is currently orbiting to the far side of the sun...
the guest used the term Novelty in connection with the present sun-spot cycle...

Novelty is the word the TWZ forecast uses to characterize the peaks in the timeline of which the October 25-26 date has generated all kinds of controversy...(in tandem with the webbot interpetations)

so, just as an exercise, i'm going to keep track of that novelty SunSpot
and see if there is something like a CME that explodes out of that sunspot as it travels on the far side of the sun...
suppose that a great CME or Solar Storm ejects a glob of plazma into space, and the angular momentum slings that mass of energetic 'stuff' right into the orbital path of the earth...in a number of days??

then would the Oct 25-26 date have significance? or would the birth date of the sunspot which created the conditions for the CME/Plazma storm
be long forgotten & dismissed?

I;ll keep a eye out for developments...not as a believer in the TWZ or webbot predictions...but as a patient & watchfull witness of this perion in history

thanks,

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
OK - Here's a thought- What if something bad was going to happen last week, but the bad guys wanted it to be a surprise? Well... We found out and informed people so it wouldn't be a surprise anymore. So...they decided not to do it (whatever it was) because everyone knows. So why do it cause it wouldn't be a surprise and the element of shock wouldn't be there as planned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join