It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA to ban sale of raw oysters from Gulf of Mexico

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Nixie,

People that have a compromised Immune system, KNOW they have a compromised immune system! And....the doctors ALWAYS tell them to avoid raw foods! (Sushi, Oysters, Rare meat, unwashed vegetables, etc.)

And, people that die from a food allergy go very quickly! They only have a short period of time to get an antihistamine, or an epi shot! Most of them even carry an epi pen with them!

As for the warnings....if you have ever been to a seafood restaurant, or any restaurant that serves Oysters, or Sushi, or Rare Steaks, you have seen a warning Over the Grill, Over the Bar, at the bottom of EVERY Menu Page, and in a big bubble next to the Menu Item!

If someone misses all those warnings, and ignores their doctors advice, and ignores their body's own mechanisms, and winds up dead from it, then I have a hard time feeling empathetic!! Seems more like Natural Selection to me!

Plus, why should the millions of Oyster eaters have to suffer, or be exposed to Radiation just for a handful of people's ineptitude?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Bacteria is different from Red Tide, or algal blooms. Red Tide is caused by phytoplankton blooms. The phytoplankton contain toxins that can cause all sorts of problems, but they are not bacteria.

But yes, algal blooms are more common in the summer months. They primarily affect filter feeders, like bivalves. It's safe to eat lobsters, crabs, shrimp, and most fish.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

So your deciding that the number of people involved is indicative of whether it is a problem or not? I find it disturbing that you are ready to quickly dispose of 15 people to protect your personal indulgence.

Isn't this exactly what the FDA does?

If we banned everything that killed at least 15 people, we would all starve! Do you think there is anything out there that doesn't kill at least 15 people per year?

My wife was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease (Gluten Allergy). It caused both our babies to be premature, and caused her a lot of auto immune problems before it was diagnosed. Now we know that it is fairly common, and just about every food out there has Gluten in it!

So, should the FDA ban 85% of the food in the grocery store? Celiacs has killed far more than 15 people!!

Now, of the food that is left for her to eat, it is mostly meat, dairy, nuts, seeds, and raw vegetables. So e. coli is rampant in most of those foods, e. coli has killed way more than 15 people, so we should ban all of those as well?

Now, my poor little 90 lb wife is going to starve to death!!

Luckily, we live near the beach, and we can eat all those Deadly Oyster's that they can no longer sell!!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beaverg

Oysters contain testosterone. Someone wants to be sure body builders get some melamine with their oysters. This can not be done if people buy oysters raw.Nothing the FDA does surprises me any more.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
reply to post by beaverg

Oysters contain testosterone. Someone wants to be sure body builders get some melamine with their oysters. This can not be done if people buy oysters raw.Nothing the FDA does surprises me any more.

No food "contains" testosterone. Many help to boost its production though! And Oysters are among the best ones to boost testosterone production in men and women, which has the added affect as an aphrodisiac on many people (especially women)!

Zinc is attributed to this added testosterone effect, and it is also very high in pine nuts, red meat, etc.!

www.oysterlover.com...

www.muscleandbodymag.com...

www.ehow.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

So your deciding that the number of people involved is indicative of whether it is a problem or not? I find it disturbing that you are ready to quickly dispose of 15 people to protect your personal indulgence.

Isn't this exactly what the FDA does?

If we banned everything that killed at least 15 people, we would all starve! Do you think there is anything out there that doesn't kill at least 15 people per year?

Bulls kill 3 people a year. As does mountain lions (1) and scorpians one every other year. No one has died of rabies in recent years. I was just reading that 9 people drowned in a beer flood. I think that if it is your time to go, there could be worse things.

My wife was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease (Gluten Allergy). It caused both our babies to be premature, and caused her a lot of auto immune problems before it was diagnosed. Now we know that it is fairly common, and just about every food out there has Gluten in it!

I am very familiar with celiacs as I have done the celiac walk in my area, and have done baking for a relative that has a severe case of it. I am very sorry to hear your wife has it, as I know what a PITA it can be. But they think far more people have it then is diagnosed.

So, should the FDA ban 85% of the food in the grocery store? Celiacs has killed far more than 15 people!!
It is not a widely known problem, is not looked for by the medical community and people are not educated on it. But it is becoming more widely known and a lot of foods are now getting labeled when they contain wheat products. hell, even vanilla extract has gluten in it.

Now, of the food that is left for her to eat, it is mostly meat, dairy, nuts, seeds, and raw vegetables. So e. coli is rampant in most of those foods, e. coli has killed way more than 15 people, so we should ban all of those as well?

90%-95% of food born illnesses and contamination are due to human error, e coli by itself rarely causes a problem. Which is why hand washing in food preperation is so important.

Now, my poor little 90 lb wife is going to starve to death!!

Shame you don't live in my area, we have a gluten free bakery.

Luckily, we live near the beach, and we can eat all those Deadly Oyster's that they can no longer sell!!

.I knew there was a personal interest in this. Again, the situation is being overstated. For only three months out of the year, the oysters have to be frozen or pasteurized. You still get to eat raw oysters for another nine months.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Nixie,

People that have a compromised Immune system, KNOW they have a compromised immune system! And....the doctors ALWAYS tell them to avoid raw foods! (Sushi, Oysters, Rare meat, unwashed vegetables, etc.)

I am telling you, when you have conditions, the medical community isn't as informative as you think.

I was diagnosed a year ago with early onset high blood pressure. YOu would think this is unusual. What do I get? Medication and told to watch my salt. THAT IS IT

I didn't even know that cough medicines can shoot your blood pressure. Or that even an anti anflammatory can raise blood pressure. Between all my doctors and pharamacist, who I see frequnetly, never been told once.

Plus, why should the millions of Oyster eaters have to suffer, or be exposed to Radiation just for a handful of people's ineptitude?

hahah I appreciate your sense of humor.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Shame you don't live in my area, we have a gluten free bakery.

That is a shame! She would be thrilled! You are correct that a lot of labeling is getting better. Sadly, Wal-Mart's Great Value brand is the best at it!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I have a relative who is in line for a liver transplant because they ate an oyster at the annual oyster festival, located in Amite, Louisiana.

This person is very sick, and near to death. They might not make it bfore they get a transplant.

They ate a raw oyster.

People take a risk, every time they eat something raw.

It's like Russian Roulette.

Is it worth the rist, to have an oyster slide down your throat, like a big goober?

Not to me, it isn't, after having seen what bacteria infected oysters can do!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin, but an infection like that could come from anywhere! Last year it was Spinach from Mexico, before that it was Florida Tomatoes! Rare Steaks have issues, but Well Done steaks cause Breast Cancer, on and on! Literally many millions of people eat Oyster's without incident!

I routinely eat with dirty hands!
I abhor anti-bacterial anything! 99% of bacteria are good! When we start killing them off, we start letting worse stuff take their place!
I eat Raw Oysters!
I eat Sushi!
I eat Rare Steaks!
I don't wash my vegetables or fruits!
I play in the dirt!
I swim in the streams and ponds!
I swim in the Oceans and Bays!
I have used a screwdriver for a fork and a crescent wrench for a spoon!
I love how my greasy hands have little pink finger tips after eating a greasy burger!

I never get sick!

My ex-wife, and current wife both sanitized everything before they met me, and they were both sick fairly often. The frequented the Dr's and ER's, until I broke them of all their bad habits!! Now, neither one of them go to the Dr for more than a check up, they clean with regular soap and water, they eat a much more balanced and interesting diet, and they both feel way, way better!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I worked with an engineer once who would say "I think we have it fool proof
now...Fool proof, but not idiot proof."

The problem with the FDA is that they want to make everything
idiot proof.

If you keep idiots from doing themselves in, they multiply
and go over the cliff like lemmings in a spectacular way.

If you can't read or comprehend the warning label, why should the FDA
turn the whole world into adult daycare for you?

BTW, aspirin kills far more than 15 people a year. Let's start by banning
that!

Oh, that's a drug, not food. That's allowed to kill.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by UMayBRite!]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
You wouldn't believe the crap that gets pulled in with the nets.

Lots of needles and medical waste.

I have seen this myself on the shrimp docks.

Even the local butcher at grocery meat dept says sometimes there is needles and medical waste in the boxes of fish that get packaged and come into the store.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I don't need the fda to ban foods in order to keep me from eating food raw. The Fda mean while will turn a blind eye as food is processed with all kinds things bad for people like melamine and soybeans. Not only will this ban be bad for the people who like to cook their own oysters it will put people out of bussiness. Most of the meat we eat should not be eaten raw, so what will be banned next. Someone will benefit from this corruption ,but it will not be consumers.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Next thing they will be killing all the honey bees because people are allergic to them.

No more honey for us.

The FDA really needs that pine tree in their butt removed.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

In 140...something... the Tuna God declared he must be eaten raw. I mean raw oysters are okay, I'll put my name in the hat when it comes to supporting the right to eat them when they're potentially dangerous but it's just not as good as tuna raw.

One thing that is interesting though, search for "obama" "oyster" and you'll find a CNN article about an oyster bar owner that used his freedom of speech to speak negatively about Obama. This would all but shut down his business for at least three months. How cut throat is that?
j/k

[edit on 29-10-2009 by beaverg]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Enough already!

Yeah but 15 people died. Who the frack cares? Better ban cars, wars, doctors, nurses, nixe
, breathing-asthma attacks have been known, let us see what else, boating, ATV's, motorcycles, wet paper bags-hey it is possible-what if someone stuck the bag into their throat, elevators, taxi cabs, aircraft, oooh cannot forget-no one can go outside if there are clouds-might get hit by lightening-ok where was I, cigarettes, alcohol, all medications, trains, buses, stairs-you could fall, boats, ships, etc etc etc.

Hey, all of you people that would like to ban things, why don't you lock yourselves into padded rooms and leave the rest of us, the HELL ALONE.

NUFF SAID

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

You are very bad. bad bad bad.

Just for the record people, get your facts straight...
No one is banning anything! They are only saying that for three months out of the year, oysters from ONLY the gulf of Mexico need to be pasteurized.
They are not even banning them for three months, just freezing them or giving them a bath.

good grief.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

First they came for the hemp, but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a hemp farmer. Then they came after the raw milk, but I didn't speak up because I wasn't dairy farmer. Then they came after the raw oysters in June, July, and August, but I didn't speak up because I was not an oysterman.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
(Updated) FDA backs off raw oyster restrictions after coastal criticism

blog.al.com...

By The Associated Press
November 13, 2009, 1:36PM
WASHINGTON -- Facing fierce resistance, the Obama administration today backed off a plan to ban sales of raw oysters from the Gulf of Mexico during warm weather.

In a statement, the Food and Drug Administration told lawmakers it will put the proposal on hold while it studies ways to make consumption of raw oysters more safe, according to several lawmakers.

The oyster industry -- as well as Democrats and Republicans across the Gulf -- blasted the plan as unnecessary government meddling. They said it could have killed a $500 million industry and thousands of jobs.

"By reversing course, the FDA has acknowledged that its original plan was unreasonable and that we need a commonsense approach to protecting the small number of at-risk consumers," said Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., who said FDA Commissioner Peggy Hamburg informed her of the decision by telephone.

See the link for more.

Thought I would add an update to your post. I do hope people realize the risk of Red Tide, and use caution, but to ban an entire industry would just add to the problems this country already has.

Is good to see both parties working together on this. Something of a rarity, lately!

new topics

<< 1   >>

join