It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hideous Rodent May Provide Cure For Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Hideous Rodent May Provide Cure For Cancer

www.popsci.com

Naked mole rats are unique in many ways. For one, they're the only mammals with a hive mind, obeying their queen as if they were ants. Also, they feel no pain, an adaptation still not fully understood. But most importantly for us, they are the only animals that don't get cancer.

And now, a new study by scientists at the University of Rochester, New York, explains at last why these horrific animals, of all of the world's creatures, are immune to cancer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

According to the scientists, the mole rat's cells express a gene that tells cells to stop dividing. The gene, called p16, forms a second ring of defense against cancer. Most mammals, including humans, only have one gene, p27, protecting cells from cancer. And while most cancers know a way around p27, p16 stops them cold.

I've never heard of these little rodents strange ability's before (hive mind?!) . Its amazing to think these little creators could actually provide us with a cure for cancer one day.

I've noticed more and more articles like this these days, will it be long before cancer is a thing of the past?

I hope so.

www.popsci.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10/28/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
hideous?! i think theyre adorable.

And im sure my feelings will be reflected in a lot more people if they can lead to the cure and/or prevention of cancer.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Great find! S and F for you! Very interesting. I'll have to do more research on this. Wouldn't that just take the cake, after the trillions spent?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
maybe its just a gene thats developed from all the human testing we've done with these rats and mice. False alarm my money is on. Im not a scientist though.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
TAKE THAT 10th grade teacher!!!

Lol, we all had to do a presentation, indepth on an animal, I picked the Naked Mole Rat!

Haha, didn't know this about them...

That teacher's probably dead now anyways.

The NMR is an absolutely awesome creature, although, I think all creatures are. lol

I think this would be a hard thing to do, I mean sure, lizards (I think it's the lizard) can regrow a tail, and we too thought that maybe we could manifest our science into that, and I don't believe we've been very successful in that.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I'm a little bit skeptical about the claim that naked mole rats don't get cancer. I remember when it was claimed that sharks don't get cancer. Then I guess they figured out that sharks do, indeed, get cancer. I guess if you only check out a few sharks, you might miss the ones that wind up with cancer.

So maybe it's the same with naked mole rats. Have we even examined enough of them to tell whether they do or don't get cancer?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Heh heres a thought, what if the gene pairing or what ever it is that makes them immune to cancer (not immune just a better defense cancer hasn't gotten around yet) was the same gene pairing that cause the hive mind attribute

Live free but possibly die of cancer easier or become cancer immune but a slave to the group

I bet some people would easily give up free will for that

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
They're just too cute!

I hope the poor wee things don't get exploited and ruined in the process of finding the cure for cancer.

Wait.
What did I just say?

cool thread

peace

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Weird little rats.

A little curry pepper. dash of maple syrup, they may fry up nice!

Hideous looking tunnel monkeys provide cure for cancer!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Oh no. I'll have to stop refering to drunk idiots as blind mole rats, it'll be considered a compliment once they help cure cancer!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiteraven

A little curry pepper...

Very nice reference to another story! Took me a little while to catch it, though.

top topics

join