The Great 2012 Hoax

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+28 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Yep, you heard me it isnt.

The vast majority of you that believe that the world will end in 2012, simply quote that the Mayan calender ends on 21/12/2012. Anyone that thinks this is actually totally incorrect.

Mesoamerican Long Count Calender

There are several different types of calenders interlocked and synchronised for the true Mayan calender. The one that the doomsday theories centre around is known as the Mesoamerican long count calender. Like all calendes, Mayan or otherwise, the calender recycles itself over a certain period of time.

The other Mayan calenders, only count up to 52 years (18980 days), which was the averge life cycle of ancient Mayans. It is for this reason that the Mayans devised the long count calender for periods longer than 52 years

The Long Count calendar identifies a date by counting the number of days from the Mayan creation date 4 Ahaw, 8 Kumk'u (August 11, 3114 BC in the proleptic Gregorian calendar or September 6 in the Julian calendar).

The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about December 21, 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation, yet is commonly referenced in pop-culture media as the 2012 problem.

For example, Sandra Noble, executive director of the Mesoamerican research organization FAMSI, notes that "[f]or the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle". However, she considers the portrayal of December 2012 as a doomsday or cosmic-shift event to be "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in

The last external quote is an interesting one. While half of ATS will be cowering in fear, hiding in bomb shelters or whatever you all do in these situations....the people that still use the Mayan calender will actually be celebrating.

Galactic Alignement

It is true however that the sun will be aligned with the centre of the milky way, for the first time in 26,000 years, however due to the doubts in agreement about the actual advancement in astronomy of the civilisation, most scholars and scientists believe this is nothing more than a coincidence.

Astronomers generally agree that “it would be impossible the Maya themselves would have known that” says Susan Milbrath, a Maya archaeoastronomer and a curator at the Florida Museum of Natural History. What’s more, she says, “we have no record or knowledge that they wg toould think the world would come to an end at that point.”

Pole Shift, etc

There is a relevance to pole shift occuring too, but even that idea is scientifically flawed.

First off pole shift is not what it is thought here at ATS. There are several pseudoscientific theories that the earth will "turn upside down". Unfortunantly (or fortunately, lol), this is not accurate. Pole shift simply refers to a slight reorientation of the earths axis. There is no evidence to suggest the earth has completely "flipped around".

There is also a possibility of whats called geomagnetic reversal. This is a change in the earths magnetic field where the charges at the north and south pole are reversed. This is a more widely believed hypothesis than a complete pole shift.

While many electric apploiances, telecommunications and even humans would be affected by this, the actual process takes thousands of years to complete. Again though, there is no evdience that this will occur on this date. We may even be a signifcant way into this 5000 year process.

The Great Money Making Scam

Of course considering we have been on the verge of nuclear wars, near misses with comets/ asteroids, and alleged antichrists running around....the world couldve ended at any time. But we have always escaped unscathed. I suppose at one point its possible that the world will end.....but we really cant prove that it will.

So in explanation using the Mayan calender or Nostradamus as evidence for the end of the world is not ACCURATE

Now just like the Y2K predictions, authors and doomsayers have been writing articles and books, quoting incorrect science, and claiming they have secret government evidence, for what? Personal gain is the answer.....yet all us gullible conspiracy theorists, instead of trying to understand real science...just lap it up and buy into it all.

Even certain religious groups are cashing in, with fellow followers using their life savings to ensure they are guaranteed a spot in heaven.

Now I dont know if its because people want to believe in it so much or if people are that gullible that they will accept the words of a doomsayer rather than a scientist or ancient text scholar, but the 2012 doomsday conspiracy is becoming larger....does this mean its true?

Hell no (yes even though they made a movie about it does not mean its true)

Now I know this will upset some of you but Im open to have my beliefs challenged. It will be interesting to see what information believers can come up with

[edit on 10/29/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The info in your post is not hard to gather through a few google searches so it truly is disturbing how many people think a 'pole shift' means the earths continents being flipped.

I personally can see absolutely no reason to believe any of the 2012 hype, but saying that, i can see why people latch onto these kind of ideas.

People want a change.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

You get no arguments from me here.

You would think people would have learned a lesson or two from Y2K and how over blown things can get.

Clearly not.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
What I find hilarious is when you ask these people for proof they post some source that in itself has no scientific background or is completely wrong.

They can never give you proof or evidence from a real scientist or real facts.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by fallenearth
What I find hilarious is when you ask these people for proof they post some source that in itself has no scientific background or is completely wrong.

They can never give you proof or evidence from a real scientist or real facts.

That, so far, appears to be a correct statement.

Thats why I asked for some stuff that would challenge what I posted

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Star and flag from me.

I love common sense.

It's just so...uncommon.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The Sun, the father intersects with the galactic centre the Mother.
Symbolizing cosmic procreation. And a rebirth of the sun. It's about creation as it appears to me. It's impossible to understand this from a modern western stand point.
Make love on solstice 2012 as the heavens are.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

The powerful almighty OZ has spoken...

Do not question the ALL POWERFUL OZ.....I know everything!!

(toto, get away from that curtain)

PEACE and LOVE...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall
Do not question the ALL POWERFUL OZ.....I know everything!!

Im not sure if you're patronising me or being sarcastic?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

im not sure if hes being sarcastic or whatnot...but what he was saying was from the wizard of oz....my bet is he saw your name and thought of that and got a chuckle.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Enjoyed your post mate. Makes sense to me. I did find it a little unusual to find this type of thread from you. None the less, great thread. Im still up in the air about alot of things concerning 2012, but im pretty sure ill see my 35th birthday in the following month of May.

S&F

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
when nothing happens in 12/21/2012, the date for the end of the world/antichrist's coming/rapture/whatever other idea out there will change to the year 2016. In fact, I think I have heard somewhere that it might even be moved to the year 2036 afterward.

anyway, I can't quite remember where I heard this before, but this is probably what is going to take place.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
you people are complete jokes, haha
like if you can't see what 2012 is, than i dawno.

i am only 16 and i am pretty well understand it.

it isn't the end of the world by any means.

simply the start of a new era of civilization, free from lies and corrupt governments.

hopefully at least

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dave157

i love people who know everything. all the divine little secrets and quirks of the universe.

obviously, when one random day comes, the world becomes a Utopia!

you might want to try to back up your claim. people might take you seriously if you did.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I personally do not know what is going to happen in 2012 and I do not spend a whole lot of time thinking about it. However I do wish to applaud you for using good citation and not ridiculous references such as Wikipedia; which is akin to saying my neighbor's dog told me. I always enjoy reading posts that are properly referenced and cited with what I would consider reputable sources. Bravo for that

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well, a lot of New Age people aren't predicting the end of the world or even a catastrophe. Many of them are saying that when the date rolls around, there will be the end of a cycle, and the beginning of a new cycle - one that will be better. Kind of like the old idea of the "Age of Aquarius", where things would magically get better.

Still, the basis for most of these claims has been shown to be unsound. In fact, there is still some controversy over exactly when the calendar will run out. Not everyone agrees that it will be in 2012. In fact, at least some folks thought it would coincide with the Millennium.

It seems to me that the 2012 event is just another one of many dozens of prophecies, predictions, and theories that claim that some major change - good or bad - is going to happen "soon". Whether it's the Second Coming, or Disclosure (of aliens), the end of the Mayan calendar, the return of Nibiru, whatever, it's going to make a massive change. It seems to me that lots of folks actually look forward to the end of the world. Maybe they figure the world is so wretched that annihilation would be an improvement.

And lots of folks are waiting for an Age, or aliens, or God, angels, Jesus, etc., to come here and make it all better. It's a pleasant thought, but I suspect that nothing much is going to happen, unless we get off our bottoms and make it happen. I just don't see God, aliens, or anyone else just handing it to us on a silver platter.

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

reply to post by sicklecell

reply to post by Chadwickus

reply to post by fallenearth

What I find hilarious is that all 2012 bashers use the Y2K didn’t happen argument to justify why no earth changes will occur in 2012!

Yes, Y2K did not happen, and do you want to know why? Because thousands of IT people (including myself) spent HOURS, and hours and companies spent thousands, and millions of dollars to make sure everything was fix before Dec 31 1999!.

So of course nothing happened you ninnies, because we fixed the issues before the date came.

Now, on the claim “They can never give you proof or evidence from a real scientist or real facts.”

Please read (or watch the DVD) of:

Earth Under Fire: Humanity's Survival of the Ice Age
by Paul A. LaViolette
Bear & Co., Rochester, VT, 2005
Paperback: 448 pages, ISBN 1-59143-052-4

www.etheric.com...

Many ancient myths from around the world tell catastrophic destruction by fire and flood. These ubiquitous legends are so extreme that they are often dismissed as imaginative exaggerations. In Earth Under Fire, Paul LaViolette connects these "myths" to recent scientific findings in astronomy, geology, and archaeology to reconstruct the details of prehistoric global disasters and to explain how similar tragedies could recur in the near future

LaViolette is a "real" scientist who has done some very "real" research. Please familiarise yourself before you retaliate with flames.

As for a Pole shift – it is caused by the earth’s crust slipping. You see, the earth’s crust sits on a layer of molten laver (like liquid) and when it heats up, the crust can slip. It has happened before, and will happen again - as a geologist!

I am not saying that something will happen on the exact date, but I do believe something is coming, and there is certainly enough REAL science to support this.

For example, I strongly urge you all to read The Schumann Resonances and Human Psychobiology. This will explain a lot and help you understand what is going on in the world right now (and why people are going crazy!).

I realise that most people that jump on the "bash 2012" wagon are just plain fearful. What is surprising though is that the more arrogant and "I know everything" they are, the more fearful the seem to be deep down.

Do yourselves a favour. Don’t believe ANYTHING from ANYONE. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldObserver

So thats all the firepower you got? Really thats it? Do you want me to list scientists, geologists, and astronomers who say 2012 is bunk?

We could compare lists. You do know their are people who still think the world is flat?

Earth Under Fire:

he demonstrates how past civilizations accurately recorded the causes of these cataclysmic events, knowledge of which may be crucial for the human race to survive the next superwave cycle.

OK how did they survive ? We are still here right? If this happened how did they survive? Who warned them? What technology was used for them to survive? It could not have been so bad as to be a MEE or the knowledge could not have been recorded.

Furthermore noone is saying humans cant end. Their could be a GRB
tomorrow even though the chances are 1 in a #load.

I could die in a wreck tomm as well.

We are saying 2012 wheres the proof humanitys end is gonna be 2012?

[edit on 29-10-2009 by fallenearth]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
reply to post by Dave157

i love people who know everything. all the divine little secrets and quirks of the universe.

obviously, when one random day comes, the world becomes a Utopia!

you might want to try to back up your claim. people might take you seriously if you did.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

Its funny how the brightest teenagers in the world seem to come to ATS, and know everything eh, lol

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldObserver

Ok, good

Nopw please explain all these doomsday prophecies that have failed in the past. There's about 500 of them

www.abhota.info...

Have fun

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join