It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coyotes kill Canada woman singer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Coyotes kill Canada woman singer

news.bbc.co.uk

Two coyotes have attacked and killed a 19-year-old folk singer in a national park in eastern Canada, officials say.

Taylor Mitchell, 19, a promising musician from Toronto, died in hospital after the animals pounced as she hiked alone in Cape Breton park, Nova Scotia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Firstly, my sympathies to this poor girls family.

What a terrifying way to go. I hope she didn't suffer too much.

What odd behaviour for the coyotes

I'm going to do some digging and see if I can find more occurrences of this.

I remember reading about rabies in bats, I wonder if that could be the reason.

I'll do a search for any other examples of odd animal behaviour in the news.

But I think the biggest point here is the death of a young, beautiful and talented human being.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Maybe the coyotes did not like her singing? Just saying maybe....

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

This happened in my part of the world. The Park wardens said that they believe the coyotes where actually diseased, although I haven't heard anymore about it this evening.

This is a rare occurrence around these parts. Th3ey did kill one of them at the scene but the other escaped. As of 5pm local time they were still hunting for the animal.

Where she was hiking is actually a pretty popular trail in the park.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I have to agree with previous posters, this is incredibly odd behaviour, so these coyotes must have been rabid.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789

This happened in my part of the world. The Park wardens said that they believe the coyotes where actually diseased, although I haven't heard anymore about it this evening.

This is a rare occurrence around these parts. Th3ey did kill one of them at the scene but the other escaped. As of 5pm local time they were still hunting for the animal.

Where she was hiking is actually a pretty popular trail in the park.

What a horrible death mate.

I suppose they'll be running tests on the coyote they shot, I'll update if I hear.

it would be interesting to find out if their normal prey of deer/hare are in decline.

This'll be blamed on climate change too I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
First, my sympathies to this girls family.

Second, with all the crappy Canadian musicians out there these coyotes couldn't take out one who we actually new sucked? I mean I've never heard this girl, she could have been awesome. They couldn't have taken out Avril, Celine, or Alanis?

Lastly, that's why I never trek out in to the woods with out a side arm. With a little proper gun training this girl might have been alive today.

See? Police and other rescue workers can't be everywhere you are at all times. But your gun can

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

No, their natural food isn't on the decline. The deer populations at least are very healthy.

I'll let you know something about the coyote as soon as I hear it. This will be on the radio talk shows here tomorrow so there will be fresh info on the animal/s.

Here is a local and much more detailed article about the attack.

thechronicleherald.ca...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by midnightbrigade

That would be fine except that ain't allowed here. there is essentially(with a few exceptions) a ban on hand guns in Canada except for target shooting. Also, no weapons are allowed inside the National Parks.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Thanks man, would be good to know if there is a chance of this happening again,or if they are just rogue coyotes!

Thanks for the link

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Regardless of her "talent".. she was "hiking" in the woods ALONE.

A 19 year old girl (presumably with no training)

Uh....

DERP DERP?

GERRR DEEE DERRRR? SLOBBER GAHHHH BAHHHH GEEEE?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
That is a sad story, I feel for the girl and her family.

I don't think the coyotes were rabid, there is always that chance, I don't believe this to be a one time thing, at least not here in Michigan, almost every summer you will hear of coyotes attacking or trying to attack someone in the state. It seems that these are starting to get picked up more in the news. I have heard reports of whole packs of coyotes attacking people, adults,kids and pet dogs. Its shocking that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often, coyotes attacking a person is no different than a bear, cougar, bobcat, fox, or any other wild animal you will find in the woods attacking a human when hunting, stressed, or in some cases rabid or suffering from mange.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by InvisibleObserver]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
For the record a couple of years ago we had a run in with a pack of coyote testing their boundaries. We were having a fire and there were a few of us that stayed up later than the rest and noticed the yipping was getting closer and closer. After this went on for about an hour or so we could hear them within a few yards pacing back and forth. Now anyone that knows coyotes behavior knows that this is out of the norm for coyote. Still to this day we don't know what they were doing, but they came rediculously close to humans and a fire.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

They do that all the time here in Michigan, you will be able to hear them coming from way out, you described the sound perfectly, yipping that gets closer and closer. When they get real close you have to watch out and be prepared for them to attack. No joke when the pack gets close to you, within say 20 yards or less, the whole pack will actually form a perimeter around you and slowly close in on you trapping you in.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
My natural reaction to folk music is to kill the person responsible so I can't blame the coyotes.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

No I understand. That's why I think its so damn reckless for a government to actually take guns away from people.

I mean especially the national parks thing. They take them out of the parks so that people "don't poach" and all that, but that's crap. Prosecute the poachers, don't try to preempt the crime by taking away the ability to defend yourself.

Goverment gun regulation makes me

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I don't think I've ever heard of coyotes killing adult sized people. She musta been a small little thing, or they thought she was Celine Dion.

Peace

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Dr Love]

new topics

top topics

join