It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Great White Shark Bite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I just came across this story and thought I would share it with ATS. Sorry if this was already posted, I did a search here and couldn't find it.

A 10 foot Great White Shark was brought aboard a fishing boat off of north Stradbroke Island in Queensland Australia. The great white still alive was bitten nearly in half by what officials believe to be a "monster" great white which they estimate to be around 20 feet in length judging by the bite marks left on the 10 foot great white that was hooked on a baited drum line net. Officials warned swimmers to be on the look out for the monster great white that may still be roaming the near by shores.

www.nydailynews.com...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water... Swimmers were warned that a "monster shark" was prowling off a popular Australian beach, one that nearly bit a 10-foot great white shark in half last week, London's Daily Mail reported. Based on the bite marks, experts say the larger shark must be twice its victim's size. The smaller - relatively speaking - great white was hooked on a baited drum line when it was attacked, and was still alive when it was hauled onto a boat off north Stradbroke Island in Queensland. The fatally wounded shark was found just a few miles away from the island's popular beaches, a haven for surfers and bathers. "That cannibal thing is what great whites do; they'll eat anything, including their own kind," Hugh Edwards, a local shark expert, told Australia's 7 News. "It would be sensible not to swim in that area for a little while." Though shark attacks worldwide dipped from 71 to 59 between 2007 and 2008, according to the International Shark Attack File, and few of them were attributed to great whites, the large shark had been vilified even before Steven Spielberg's 1975 thriller. Speculation is that this "Jaws"-sized shark has been lured to the area by the rotting carcuses of three whales that were trapped in anti-shark netting surrounding the Queensland coast. But Queensland Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin told Australia's Courier Mail that the grisly find shows why those nets were still essential. Five people were fatally attacked in the late '50s, the Courier Mail reported, but only one since the nets were put in place in 1962. "Whatever attacked and took chunks out of this big shark must be massive," surfer Ashton Smith, 19, told the Daily Mail. "I've heard about the big one that's lurking out there somewhere. "We're all being very, very cautious." Read more: www.nydailynews.com... 0VHFCX5L1

A couple other sources.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.news.com.au...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sorry now I found the other 2 threads about this. Close this mods, thanks.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Not much of a shark expert, that guy who was interviewed in Australia, when he said Great Whites will eat anything, this is not the case, for instance, if they bite a human they normally swim away as we do not taste like there normal prey. It is the bite/blood-loss that causes human fatality's not, being eaten alive.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Just the annual campaign to keep people out of the ocean. The energies in sea water have unbelievable healing properties. I'm suprised the MSN haven't started reporting sting ray sightings again...

I've been a diver for years, and so have most of my friends. We find it so humourous seeing people who are too scared to even put their feet in the water because they're so afraid something terrible will happen to them.

20ft is not a "monster" White Pointer. It's called a normal sized adult. We have heaps of them here. The media uses the term "monster" because they know it will scare people.

Originally posted by mtok7
Not much of a shark expert, that guy who was interviewed in Australia, when he said Great Whites will eat anything, this is not the case, for instance, if they bite a human they normally swim away as we do not taste like there normal prey.

Exactly. They usually come up slowly and take a bite to see what on Earth you are. If they saw you as a food source, they would attack you like their food source. The reason why bodies are recovered from most attacks is because they don't really like us.

[edit on 28/10/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Thanks guys for your insight. Being from the woods of the midwest and never seeing a shark in person, a 20foot long shark is huge to me. But like you said that is a fully grown adult great white and the media hyped it up calling it a monster.

new topics

top topics

join