It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN & Wall St.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the new look of CNN dot com? If so, have you noticed that the Stock Markets are not shown on the main page as they always have been in the past. What I find interesting is that the market has tanked quite a bit over the last few days...coincidence? Are they trying to "hide" that by changing where they display the numbers?

Just wondering if anyone else noticed...if anyone cares...and, of course, your opinions.

Thanks,

AM

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I haven't noticed it because I went off CNN a while ago (most other news outlets, too).
But I am, of course, always very interested in the way the media tailor the perception of the world, so I'll have a look.
Thanks!

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
reply to post by Aggie Man

I haven't noticed it because I went off CNN a while ago (most other news outlets, too).
But I am, of course, always very interested in the way the media tailor the perception of the world, so I'll have a look.
Thanks!

I get the feeling that CNN is taking an "out of sight, out of mind" approach. I guess that works fairly well...it took me several days to even notice.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

I get the feeling that CNN is taking an "out of sight, out of mind" approach.

I have no doubt that is the main point of it.
What I'd like to find out is, did they do this simply because they are afraid it might hurt their ratings (people turning away from "unpleasant" sights) - or is there a different reason behind that?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

What I'd like to find out is, did they do this simply because they are afraid it might hurt their ratings (people turning away from "unpleasant" sights) - or is there a different reason behind that?

I would like to know as well (obviously). But one thing is certain...it was a calculated move...not an oversight.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I completely agree with both of you, not just CNN but business anchors are being more positive and/or not following up on bad news when it hits the economy. The real economy is already leaking into the Wallstreet stock market. Wal-Mart said three weeks ago that starting pretty much now, they will be cutting prices every week during the holidays. They even put out a report that this holiday season will be horrible for businesses (remember businesses make almost 70% of their sales during the holiday seasons). Then you have CIT which is still trying to convince it's bond holders to take pennies on the dollar or they will go bankrupt and the bondholders don't want it. Since CIT has loans to at least a million small and medium size businesses, they think that they will go after the assets of CIT and make out better.

top topics

join