It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there metals in the universe that are unknown/undiscovered to humans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Do you think that there might be metals that humans do not know of and are unknown to humans?

This is an interesting thought.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Do you think that there might be metals that humans do not know of and are unknown to humans?

This is an interesting thought.

Most definitely. Metals and gases and everything in between. Material from a burned out star or super compressed ICE etc. etc.. With the vastness of space it also has the vastness of environment and the variables that can effect it.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I don't see why not. It's not as if we've had the opportunity to explore every single planet and asteroid out there...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I know Iron is supposed to be the most common element in the universe, i would have thought that after the supposed, Big Bang all elements would be spread across the universe equally. but i am no scientist.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtok7
Big Bang all elements would be spread across the universe equally. but i am no scientist.

I am not a follower of the Big Bang theory. I am a follower of the Plasma theory.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by sphinx551]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yes, That is why aliens travel around to differant galaxies and visit planets/stars to get metals that aren't found on their own planet.
JK.

Thats why they are probably going back to the moon, and mars to see what is there that we can actually use to advance humanity.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
A pure metal is simply an element. Elements are numbered based on the number of protons in the nucleus of the atom. The highest stable element is lead which has an atomic number of 82. Anything higher than that is generally unstable. All elements up to 118 have been discovered so far.

Although new metals have been discovered over the years, these are usually created as a product of an experiment in a particle collider or nuclear reactor. Sometimes these metals last only for fractions of a second.

To answer your question, I do belive that we will find new pure metals out there, however they proably won't be of any use to us as they decay so quickly. What we may discover however is new alloys. Alloys are a combination of metals, or metals with other elements. Alloys are things like brass(copper and zinc), steel (mostly iron with carbon or others) and sterling silver (silver and copper). Alloys are found in nature but are also created for specific purposes such as strength or rust proofing. I think that we will find new alloys as we explore our universe which will hopefully be usefull to us.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551

Big Bang all elements would be spread across the universe equally. but i am no scientist.

I am not a follower of the Big Bang theory. I am a follower of the Plasma Theory.

Can you supply some links to the Plasma Theory please?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Can you supply some links to the Plasma Theory please?

www.icr.org...
plasmascience.net...
bigbangneverhappened.org...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There are most certainly more within the confines of black holes. They could also be very stable there with the gravity in there.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Although if the L.H.C, produces the Higgs Boson it may prove the Big Bang Theory accurate, then again it may not.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Dude...maybe...why concern yourself with such nonsense. Sit back, put on some Allman Brothers, and relax. Transparent aluminum...lol! Thanks Scotty!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I think it would be ignorant to assume that ALL the materials in the universe are also available on Earth.

Other planets of different compositions and moons among other things would be a prime place to search for such things.

As the above poster stated however, pure metals would simply me elements that would have little use to us by themselves, but to combine them with known metals might bring us into a new era of fabrication.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longtimegone
Dude...maybe...why concern yourself with such nonsense. Sit back, put on some Allman Brothers, and relax. Transparent aluminum...lol! Thanks Scotty!

I think you'll find they did actually start making this one!

Transparent aluminium

unless that's just wiki pulling my leg again

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

I like you man...I hope you got my Star Trek joke.

Also that says 50nm sheets. That is very thin. I think Scotty knew what he was talking about.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Longtimegone]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I know Iron is supposed to be the most common element in the universe, i would have thought that after the supposed, Big Bang all elements would be spread across the universe equally. but i am no scientist.

Hydrogen is the most common element in the universe. Iron is 14th.

As for the subject, I believe we have found all the natural occuring metal in the universe.

If we are to find a new one, it will be a synthetic element know as Ununennium (element 119), wich will be the 7th alkali metal.

Of course, this only apply if element keep following the same rules after element 112.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thanks, what i should have said, was heavy metal instead of element.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Longtimegone

Oh yhea man I got it - he made the 'glass' for the tank they put the hump back whales in didn't he?? Ya know when Mcoy hands him the computer mouse and he tries to talk to the computer?? - they don't make them like that any more.... Do they Scott Bakula?
*NT shakes fist at Scott for what he has done to the franchise

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well... there certainly are, but they occur in very special configurations. We know the most abundant chemicals in the universe, and we can organize them on the period table. We have also predicted elements that do exist, decades before discovering that they do. We still do have predicted elements that must exist in our periodic table, but we haven't found them yet - in fact, this number is around 50! This is the same pattern we see with particles that exist (even for fractions of fractions of nanoseconds). We can see them mathematically, just don't have the high energies or technology required to produce them.

Why would they be produced in this section of the universe?

The thing is, it appears that we've discovered all the elements that are created from the reactions within stars. Many of the other elements are very short-lived and unstable - but they do exist in a sense. This is why we collide particles together in particle accelerators! To find more and more unknown elements that aren't even created in the fusion reactions and supernova of stars.

You may be interested in Ice I, Ice II, Ice III... Ice IV. These are all very special forms of ice that occur in varying pressures and temperatures.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not sure if you JUST want to know about metal, but why would you when all the other crazy possibilities are out there?

top topics

join