It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 killed, over 200 injured as blast rocks Peshawar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

90 killed, over 200 injured as blast rocks Peshawar

www.hindu.com

ISLAMABAD: A massive bomb blast in Peshawar killed more than 90 people as United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrived in the Pakistani capital on Wednesday.

The overwhelming devastation caused by the blast cast a shadow on Ms. Clinton’s three-day visit, underlining the complexities of the challenge that the Obama Administration faces in this country and the region.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well it appears we have another Middle East bombing they seem to be increasing in size. So who was it this time?

The Taliban, CIA, Mossad, the Iranians extracting revenge?

Many people were feared trapped under the debris of buildings destroyed by the explosion and fire. Television footage showed weeping and dazed survivors desperately digging through the rubble for the dead and the injured.

www.hindu.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Just hours after a car bomb in Peshawar killed at least 91 people, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton kicked off a three-day visit to Pakistan, where she praised the country's fight on extremists and pledged U.S. support. (Oct. 28)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Car bomb in crowded Pakistan market kills 100

PESHAWAR, Pakistan — Suspected militants exploded a car bomb in a market crowded with women and children Wednesday, killing 100 people and turning shops selling wedding dresses, toys and jewelry into a mass of burning debris and bodies.

The attack in the northwestern city of Peshawar was Pakistan's deadliest since 2007 and came as U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton visited the country to offer support for its fight against a strengthening al-Qaida and Taliban-led insurgency based along the Afghan border.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

uspected militants exploded a car bomb in a market crowded with women and children Wednesday, killing 100 people and turning shops selling wedding dresses, toys and jewelry into a mass of burning debris and bodies.

In a market selling luxury items killing women and children timed with arrival of female US Secretary of State. Taliban? Probably, Iranians, maybe.

It might change some pro Taliban minds in the Pakistan government and military!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
We'll have to wait and see what the final casualty count is, but for many posters here on ATS, the dead will go into the "killed by the US military" pile.

The best thing the West could do for the Middle East is load up thousands of Hummers and dump trucks with explosives, wire them, complete with the detonation button next to the radio, and just pass them out among the Iraqi Shia, Iraqi Sunni, Iranian Shia, Iranian Sunni, Taliban, Al-Queda, and the other hundred fanatical groups over there.

These people are a real work of humanity.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Some people are afraid to say IRAN.

I'm not, they stated they would take revenge then pointed to Pakistan as the source of their grief. Then a few days later boom.

Iran threatens revenge against Britain over bombing

He claimed Jundullah's leader, Abdulmalek Rigi, was inside Pakistan and demanded he be handed over.

Although the accusations against Britain and America are routine, the swift denunciation of Pakistan demonstrated the shock suffered by the Iranian leadership from the blow to the Guard.

Iran and Pakistan, aware of the sensitivities of the border area where the attack took place and its closeness to Afghanistan, normally maintain good relations.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
My guess is Taliban and/or Iran. CIA and Mossad don't have much to gain, since the Pakistanis are already on the offensive against the Taliban in Waziristan. Too risky (of discovery) versus not enough to be gained.

A simple cost/risk analysis.

Taliban AND Iran have already shown they have an axe to grind against the Pakistani government, and targetting women and children, civilians, makes the statement that "the government can't protect them, so the populace needs to swing support Taliban-ward."

Counter-intuitive, but often effective in guerrilla warfare.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Things are really ramping up in th region lately.
I guess this is what happens when you invade two already unstable countries and create an all out power vacuum in the region.

I'm guessing this is Iranian as well.
They all but promised action like this.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
So far nobody has claimed responsibility.

I doubt anybody will. But you never know I've been wrong before and it wont be the last time

EU condemns bomb attack in Pakistan

STOCKHOLM, Oct. 28 (Xinhua) -- The Presidency of the European Union Sweden condemned Wednesday the brutal bomb attack in Pakistan.

"EU condemns the bomb attack in Peshawar of Pakistan that killed and injured large numbers of innocent civilians," said the Presidency in a statement.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
So far nobody has claimed responsibility.

I doubt anybody will. But you never know I've been wrong before and it wont be the last time

If no one ever claims responsibility, I have to say Iran. If the Taliban claims it, I have to go with the folks taking credit.

Only time will tell.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This is interesting...
Perhaps Iran feels Pakistan is not moving fast enough to catch and handover these suspects...

TEHRAN, Oct 21 — Iran has made some arrests in connection with this week’s suicide bombing that killed dozens of people but expects neighbouring Pakistan to catch and hand over the main suspects, its police chief said today.

Pakistan said it would help Iran hunt down the culprits. Iran, a mainly Shi’ite Muslim state, says the Sunni rebel group which claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attack in its volatile southeast operates out of Pakistan.

“The terrorists are based in Pakistan and the Pakistan government is responsible in this matter,” police chief Esmail Ahmadi-Moghaddam said, ...
“We expect that at least the heads of these groups will be handed over to our country.”

Iran makes bomb arrests, Pakistan vows help

[edit on 28-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe the Taliban did it.

They are already being attacked by Pakistani forces. Retaliating would just tick off the Pakistani more and make them even more determined to unleash hell on the Taliban.

Furthermore, Pakistan has a history of making deals with the Taliban. The Pakistani forces go after the Taliban and then make a deal to quit attacking the Taliban. Go figure.

Things are really flaring up fast over there.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
On top of the increase in attacks on our and our allies soldiers, in Afghanistan, this just reinforces my opinion that we need to send enough troops to finish the job or pull out every last one. Procrastination kills.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Procrastination kills.

God Honest Truth

Bomb attacks in Afghan south kill 8 US troops

in.reuters.com...

Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan

www.cbc.ca...

May they Rest In Peace

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
On top of the increase in attacks on our and our allies soldiers, in Afghanistan, this just reinforces my opinion that we need to send enough troops to finish the job or pull out every last one. Procrastination kills.

I think we already have enough people there to do the job. In my opinion, the ongoing problem is Commanders who are really politicians, just all dressed up in shiny uniforms, who don't have the will to do the job.

They're trying to fight a "nice" war. Wars are not nice. People die and things get blown up. The way to do it is hunt the SOBs down, and terminate with extreme prejudice. Do it right, they'll give up and not ask for more later. If there are even any of them left, that is.

This troop bump, however many it turns out to be, reminds me of a cartoon from the Vietnam era. Johnson sent in a buildup, and the cartoon had two soldiers sitting on a log reading Stars and Stripes. The caption said "Johnson said us boys are over here in Vietnam to protect us boys over here in Vietnam", or something to that effect.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover

Obama is working feverishly on sending more troops as an option.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02600d96c823.jpg[/atsimg]
Obama seeks study on local leaders for troop decision

President Obama has asked senior officials for a province-by-province analysis of Afghanistan to determine which regions are being managed effectively by local leaders and which require international help, information that his advisers say will guide his decision on how many additional U.S. troops to send to the battle

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

In my opinion, the ongoing problem is Commanders who are really politicians, just all dressed up in shiny uniforms, who don't have the will to do the job.

Could be. I don't have enough information to make that judgement. Although, I was impressed that Gen. McChrystal had the intestinal fortitude to throw Obama under the bus about the lack of communication. (Not intended as a political jab against Obama. Just a pat on the back to McChrystal for his openness)

I was never in the military, but I it is obvious that politics causes more casualties than is necessary. The way I see it, a simple mission should be presented to the talented minds of our Armed Forces, then get out of the way.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Perfect emoticon! Can he not figure that out by the body counts? I'd think the areas of the most violence are pretty much not under the control of the good guys. But, that's just me.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I think we already have enough people there to do the job. In my opinion, the ongoing problem is Commanders who are really politicians, just all dressed up in shiny uniforms, who don't have the will to do the job.

And Commanders who have directives from the Obama administration not to bomb HOUSES AND MOSQUES which is of course where the enemy hides!

It's sounding more like Nam ever day!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join