It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Christians, atheists and everyone in-between, do you believe in hell?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hell is just a mental scare tactic to frighten people just to make religion control them or make the people follow the religion.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
No, when I was young and brainwashed by the Christian Church I did. Thank goodness I out grew it.

I believe in Hello Kitty!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e81a9bc614f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
If there is a hell ,and God created it,I think where all screwed.This means God is an evil sadistick prick.Eternal burning will never equall love/loving God.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Ofc hell is what await every single human existing. Only few wont go to hell, and these are the "wise" people, if i can say. Why you ask? Its not the christian hell, that is BS. The hell im talking about is more... hellish.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by trey85
If there is a hell ,and God created it,I think where all screwed.This means God is an evil sadistick prick.Eternal burning will never equall love/loving God.

Hell really contradicts God.
If God is really this true loving energy, why would hell be made?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I hope some hardcore Christians come on this thread, then there will be a huge debate going on.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I hope some hardcore Christians come on this thread, then there will be a huge debate going on.

I am just simply using the power of the brain and logic.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I do not believe that a compassionate god would create hell.

It could be that when people pass on to the next existence that they create their own version of hell for all their perceived misdeeds.

Perhaps they inflict their own suffering on themselves to atone for their sins.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

If you wanted the hard core Christians,
you should have posted this in the Religion forum, where they hang out.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Good point,
Well, hopefully some will come on here.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

reply to post by cindymars

Good point,
Well, hopefully some will come on here.

To be honest, I think hard-core Christians would think that Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics forum is a little too New-Agey for them.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Through logic, even "Christian logic" whatever that is, you can come to the conclusion that there isn't a Hell and reincarnation is also true. If you have to have Jesus to go to heaven, what about people living in the jungle 600 years ago for example? So, easy to see that these people wouldn't go to heaven or hell. So you'd reincarnate until you do what God wants of you.

Hell is a state of being, now. Same with heaven...

[edit on 29-10-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

As a mind set, yes. As a place you can put yourself, yes. As some place a judgemental vengeful god with a perfection complex, no.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is a subject I have studied. In used to have a blog on the now-defunct Geocities about Biblical prophesy. One of the chapters was entitled "Hell does not exist".

There has been much misunderstanding of the concept of hell. I was raised a Southern Baptist, where fire and brimstone preaching was the norm, and every sermon centered around the fiery pits of hell. Imagine my shock the day I learned that the word "Gospel" was literally translated as "Good News"!

The word "hell" appears many times in the King James version of the Holy Bible. Yet rarely is it an interpretation of a word that meant 'pit of fiery damnation'... instead, it typically refers to either death itself, or to the abode of the dead, i.e. the underworld, which we often refer to as 'Hades' (the actual Greek word) today.

In Mark 9:43 and 9:45, we have one of the exceptions to this: 'hell' is interpreted from the Greek word 'geennha', which is a word that is used to represent the concept of a place of eternal fiery torment through association with the valley of Himmon, a location where refuse, including the dead bodies of animals and executed criminals were burned to prevent the stench of putrification. Thus, we have the reference to fiery punishment for misdeeds. But was Jesus speaking figuratively or literally here? Jesus was unable throughout the Gospels to adequately explain the things he was trying to convey; instead he used parables, lessons similar to those found in Aesop's Fables where situations were described not in order to show exact details, but to show a comparison between the parable and the reality He was attempting to convey. Jesus Himself admitted this:

Matthew 13

10: And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11: He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

So was the example given in Mark 9:43-49 a parable, or a reality? Well, it would be silly to think of one's hand as 'offending' (skandalizō, meaning to put a stumbling block or impediment in the way, upon which another may trip and fall, metaphorically to offend, or to entice to sin). So it makes sense to me that this is more of a parable. That still does not explain completely whether gheenna was real or a part of the parable, however; I believe it was a reference to a future spiritual version of the valley of Himmon, the fiery pit of torture that some preachers love to talk about so much.

I believe this for a reason: there is one place in the Holy Bible where our concept of hell is described: Revelation!

Revelation 19:

20: And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

This is the hell we are all familiar with, and notice that in this verse, only two entities are cast alive into it: the beast and the false prophet.

Of course, later in Revelation we come across another reference:

Revelation 20:

12: And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13: And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell (hades) delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14: And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15: And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

(parenthetic explanation mine)

Here we see that everyone whose name is not written in this book of life is cast as well into the lake of fire. But cast is a bit of a mistranslation; more appropriate in our modern language would be 'released'. The actual word is ballō, with the following meaning:
  1. 1) to throw or let go of a thing without caring where it falls
    1. to scatter, to throw, cast into
    2. to give over to one's care uncertain about the result
    3. of fluids
      1. to pour, pour into of rivers
      2. to pour out
  2. to put into, insert

So instead of saying something to the effect of "You did not do well, now I sentence you to burn for eternity", God says something more like "You refused to listen to me before; now you have to stay here". And remember that this comes after Jesus' reign of 1000 years, wherein I am sure everyone will know who He is and what He stands for and expects.

So in short, no, there is no hell. No, no one will be tossed into it (except the false prophet and the beast). Yes, there will be a hell. Yes, some people will willingly choose to enter it rather than enter God's Kingdom.

(All references are from www.blueletterbible.org...
All translations are taken form Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
All Biblical verses are using the King James Version)

Edit to add: come on guys, it takes time to type all this stuff out! Patience!

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 10/28/2009 by TheRedneck]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I hear a lot of It doesn’t make a bit of sense. I have sin and wouldn’t even ban the worst killers into hell for Eternity, how could an all loving god who is perfect do that?

There are certainly realms where evil beings exist, so I guess that would be "hell". Basically, a small group of powerful men have used it to their advantage by saying, "do precisely as we say, or you will end up here".

To make simple sense of the afterlife, you basically end up in a place where you will find other beings similar to yourself.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Quotes that reflect my stance.

Albert:Each of us has an instinct that there is a natural order to our journey. And Annie's violated that. She won't face it. She won't realize, accept, what she's done. And she will spend eternity playing that out.
Chris: You're still saying she's in Hell...
Albert: Everyone's Hell is different. It's not all fire and pain. The real Hell is your life gone wrong. —What Dreams May Come

To different minds, the same world is a hell, and a heaven.
—Joseph Priestley

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join