It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Christians, atheists and everyone in-between, do you believe in hell?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Do you think that hell exists?? Or is it more metaphorical?? Also if hell does exist what our your views on how we get there? I hear a lot of Christians say that if you do not believe in Jesus, you go to hell for ETERNITY? This sounds really dumb if you ask me because if someone leads a life of giving and helping out humanity, then just because he doesn’t believe in Jesus he goes to hell for eternity? Show me the logic behind that? Why would a loving god put you here for a fixed period of time, some people 10 years ( kids with cancer) some people 70 to figure out life, and if you get it wrong you rot in hell for Eternity??? I am not trying to bash Christian beliefs’ I am just trying to figure out the logic behind it. It doesn’t make a bit of sense. I have sin and wouldn’t even ban the worst killers into hell for Eternity, how could an all loving god who is perfect do that? Remember eternity is forever, it’s not a time limit. I just don’t understand.

What’s your views ATS?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
aww, yea, it does exist - it's your state of mind

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think this here on earth is the hell, the bible describes.

You lot often take things too literally, from the bible, alot of it has come from the subconscious, of a human, channeled or what ever. So the person who wrote those books is the only one who understands what he means by it.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Atheists don't believe in hell - it's kind of the definition of atheism...

"I am not trying to bash Christian beliefs’ I am just trying to figure out the logic behind it."

Haha, there is no logic in religion - that's kind of the definition of religion...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Do you think that hell exists?? Or is it more metaphorical?? Also if hell does exist what our your views on how we get there? I hear a lot of Christians say that if you do not believe in Jesus, you go to hell for ETERNITY? This sounds really dumb if you ask me because if someone leads a life of giving and helping out humanity, then just because he doesn’t believe in Jesus he goes to hell for eternity? Show me the logic behind that? Why would a loving god put you here for a fixed period of time, some people 10 years ( kids with cancer) some people 70 to figure out life, and if you get it wrong you rot in hell for Eternity??? I am not trying to bash Christian beliefs’ I am just trying to figure out the logic behind it. It doesn’t make a bit of sense. I have sin and wouldn’t even ban the worst killers into hell for Eternity, how could an all loving god who is perfect do that? Remember eternity is forever, it’s not a time limit. I just don’t understand.

What’s your views ATS?

Our all loving GOD also is destructive to what is not needed and to what is void of positive energy. That why there is a place for this energy to be and also HELL* IS NOT FOR EVER. It is just a place to burn/DESTROY all negative/OTHER ENERGIES. A PLACE FOR THE Evil 1z to face their second death not live for ever for even to live forever in torment you are still given the gift of ETERNAL EXISTANCE.

[edit on 10/28/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Athiest here. Since I don't believe in the supernatural, I don't buy the concept of heaven or hell. They both function well as control mechanisms though. Do good: heaven. Do bad : hell. Maybe if they brought back the concept of the "Abominible Fancy" I'd be more inclined the heaven side. Given the chioce I'd probably do the hell thing. You know the more interesting people will be there. In conclusion, no, I don't believe in hell. But there is Pascal's Wager..The debate continues. Forever.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I don't believe in it...BUT, if it does exist, then that's where all the fun people are at

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You bet I believe in hell.

It's in your mind. Inside you keep your heaven or your hell. You are a figment of your own imagination having your experience here.

It's all what you make of it. Simple as that.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Hmm...

I personally see this place as a hell . All i see it hate, pain and negativity all the time. And yea, all this hate and negativity is 'burning' my inside away.

I think 'the burning fire underground-hell' is a place created by humans to scare people to get them into their religion.

i DO believe in a creator of the universe. But i dont believe he could send somebody to hell for an eternaty for some mistakes he did in this dark world.

But who knows, maybe i'm wrong. But this is my view on it.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by MisterP]

[edit on 28-10-2009 by MisterP]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

My opinion of hell is that someone a long time ago, aching for power, knowledge and money thought it would be a great idea to flesh out the notion of hell with loads of horrible details and then scare the peasants with it.

This would allow for many ways to control the peasants and also keep them in bondage and make it much easier tax them of their possessions. Combined with an exponential investment in religious infrastructure and a willing population who knew much about suffering and who hoped for the answers to their grubby existence - the elite had their coup d’état.

Any refusals to buy into this new form of bondage and cynical control meant risking eternal lakes of fire (after torture and execution), because an atheist or questioner could ruin the whole plan. The plan needed blind obedience or “yep” you guessed it torture and execution under the guise of “cleansing”.

These days I think Hell has become a reality but instead of a lake of fire we have eternal wars that lead onto the next one and so on.

Governments pretend they are not our feudal lords but instead of fears of purgatory, our taxes and our debts are the new means to keep us shackled. As blind faith in religions has waned somewhat we do as we are more or less told because we no longer fear Satan’s hell but we do fear being taught to pick up bars of soap in prison showers, have our families suffer repossessions and we fear being classed as failures.

We were turned into the want generation for a reason and it has worked perfectly. We are enslaved to a new hellish vision and it is a hundred times worse than a lake of screaming fire.

TPTB have become experts at this nasty little game but only because they created the system that gets passed down from one elite lord to the next. We are disadvantaged because we were all born into the game long after it had started.

Welcome to hell!

[edit on 28-10-2009 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
No. The term "hell" is a mistranslation for "grave of man". Sure, I believe people can die and go to the grave, but not some fantasy fire and brimstone jail cell where one gets punished. The only real punishment you will ever get is here and now, when you die its over.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Ill put it like this
They say church and state are not separate
what is the first word the comes to mind when someone says hell
hmmmm Jail for me

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hell is about fear and guilt. The concept has been around for much longer than christianity but it was always used for the same reason. To GUILT you into living "right" by making you FEAR an unseen and unproven afterlife. It is brilliant mind control and has worked for religion for many thousands of years. And there has to be a dude down there running the show. So now you have someone to blame for man's BS.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I do not believe in hell or heaven. In fact, I think it would be more correct to call life some sort of "hell" and call death-that one event that finishes our existence-heaven from the "hell" that is life.

However, if there was some sort of eternal place were people are punished forever (I am positive there isn't), then I hope rapists and murderers who killed for no reason whatsoever are rotting in there. (In fact, only those two kinds of criminals I described truly deserve eternal punishments if it was possible).

By the way, I'm an atheist

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Do you think that hell exists??

No.

It's a Catholic invention intended to help control the populace.

Jesus didn't beleive in hell ....

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

this man beleives in both

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

“And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.” Mark 9:43-49

I do not believe in the bible, but I think Jesus did preach about hell. Not sure if im wrong. Please correct me if I am wrong

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Good point. I'm no expert on the Gospels. I'd not seen that passage before. But the Gospels were not written by Jesus so I guess I can still argue I'm right

Anyway, hell - and its equivalents - is in many religions used as a means of control: do as I we say or you'll go to hell ..... And it's still used to similar effect today.

It's handy in that respect being an atheist

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Essan]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
No, I don't believe in hell. Sure, people think "life is hell" or that hell is in your mind, but I don't think that's what the OP is asking. I think the OP is asking about a "place" talked about in the bible. So, no.

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
They both function well as control mechanisms though. Do good: heaven. Do bad : hell.

Yeah, kind of like Santa Claus. If you're naughty, you get a lump of coal. If you're nice, you get a wii and a fire truck!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
According to the vedic scriptures, this material existence is the hellish realm, where we will continue to take re-birth life after life and suffer in accordance with our previous actions (karma).Reaping and sowing etc.
The only way to escape this cycle is to understand and intergrate with god, then one can escape the trap wer'e in

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join