It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Signs Defense Policy Bill That Includes 'Hate Crime' Legislation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Obama Signs Defense Policy Bill That Includes 'Hate Crime' Legislation

www.foxnews.com

President Obama signed into a law a $680 billion defense spending bill on Wednesday that includes a controversial measure extending hate-crime protection to gays.

Obama, who signed the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 in an elaborate East Room ceremony at the White House, said the bill finally cuts wasteful weapons projects that some lawmakers have spent years trying to kill. Among them is the Cold War-era F-22 fighter that critics have said is poorly suited for the battles in Iraq and Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Freedom of speech...GONE . Freedom of religion, freedom of press, all gone while Americans sleepwalk through the days.

I could think of many better ways to spend 680 billion dollars than funding the murder machine. Completely bogus wars ,Bogus money, and a bogus president IMO.
This is a stepping stone to greater evil.
Just because they say its a law our constitution and founding fathers state otherwise.

www.foxnews.com

[edit on 28-10-2009 by dntwastetime]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dntwastetime

Freedom of speech , freedom of religion freedom of press. All gone while Americans sleepwalk through the day.
I could think of many better ways to spend billions of dollars than funding the murder machine. Completely bogus wars ,Bogus money, and a bogus president IMO. Its obvious they want to fight.

www.foxnews.com

Enjoy hate speech do you? I, for one, am happy to see this. Some things just should not be allowed to say in public. Much like it is illegal to yell FIRE in a crowded movie theater.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
That means all my neighbours should be locked up for calling me gay etc... and haressing me. Yep like that really is going to happen in uk.

But at least you in america are somewhat protected.

Will people be more likely to come out, i doubt it somehow, no matter how much rubbish society says.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I do believe there is a vast difference between hate crime and hate speech.

I'm not sure how this bill limits religion or free speech to be honest.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Thanks for the input, I hope your right but still it is words that determine motivation. A person would have to previously stated hatred somewhere or how would they determine motivation?? Speech.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

But the bill has come under fire by conservatives because of language they say targets clergy and others who oppose homosexuality on religious grounds and who might express those beliefs publicly.

Hahahaha. Conservatives are pathetically funny....

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Good, Now how about extending that to whites? NO? Oh I didn't think so, guess I gotta go gay to have protection from slander.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Whether or not words may or may not encourage something is completely irrelevant. My words dont cause actions someone else's choices do. It is not different than my thoughts because thoughts are the root of all actions and speech. So next they are going to be telling me what I can and cannot think. Down with this bill and everyone who supports it because it is a clear and blatant violation of our constitution. Vote em out in 2010 or let your values and constitution continue to be raped by what people call our government.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
Hahahaha. Conservatives are pathetically funny....

Morbidly so. It is remarkable that one of the chief opponents of hate crime/speech laws is a group which teaches "god is love".
Bunk!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Hate Crimes are not about slander and not *just* about being "gay"...

...Hate Crimes Prevention Act-- that authorizes the Justice Department to investigate and prosecute violent attacks in which the perpetrator has targeted a victim because of the his or her actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability...

*same source

[edit on 28-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hate Crime is such a false term... I mean in effect all crimes especially those against another human being which are what are covered under hate crimes are crimes of hate just cause a white dude punches another white dude versus a white dude punches a black dude, both are hate crimes since both involve hate... I can't stand the bureaucracy involved in whoever makes this stuff up

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

well it's really racist when they call me a cracker or red neck or sheet...but that's ok cause I am white it is slander and racism...but whatever....we know we have no recourse ever!
BTW even pagans ren'tcoverd by these hate crime bills.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I totally understand why that would piss you off in the same way I understand why calling a black man ni*** would piss him off. I'm pointing out that it's not a hate crime to do that... not a limit of speech, to do that... though it might get one's butt kicked.

Ed. I would think Pagan's would be covered under freedom of Religion, which is covered in the bill such that if a Pagan was targeted for a Hate Crime (a violent attack) specifically because of the religion...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The second what someone says can be considered a crime of any sort, you no longer have freedom of speech. It doesn't matter if the issue is whether or not it is hateful, as the constitution does not make that distinction, nor should any public official be allowed to do so. Once a official is allowed to make such a distinction, said official also is given the ability to decide what constitutes hate speech. This, my friends, is a slippery slope none in truth should want to go down.

As an example, if it is considered a hate crime to act against someone due to political affiliation or beliefs (as most anti-hate crime legislation tends to be written) a official can interpret this in a way that would make it illegal to speak out against what they are doing. Not to mention the implications to clergymen who refuse to marry a homosexual couple due to religous beliefs. I am not stating that is what this bill does in any way. I am simply trying to show how these types of laws can be twisted into tyrannical mechanisms. Now before I get flamed by someone stating this bill says nothing about speech, one needs to remember in several states offensive language (profanity) can be deemed criminal, and in some states constitutes assault. So if one lives in such a state and simply states something considered offensive to a group protected under this bill, it can and probably will be considered a hate crime.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yeah true, but there is a lot of black on white racist crime and that never is called hate crimes, but deep down they all are...
still we're not protected. I know I have seen 300 black girls chase down a white girl from high school saying"Get the cracker B****" and a black cop standing by laughing. I called the police...this happened outside a high school where I used to live.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
That black on white racism thing is going to last a while i wreckon. Its accpeted, for no reason other than stup1dity of the police etc...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So if two guys get killled at the same time, on the same day, in different parts of the city, but one of these guys happens to be gay, does this mean only the perp that killed the gay guy will do time?

I sure hope Obama is there to tell the family of the non gay dead man that perp number 2 is not doing time because their loved one was not gay.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

There is a fine line between crimes based on racism and Hate crimes and I'm not really sure how those lines are determined... District Attorney assessment I would guess. The reverse discrimination issues have gone all the way to the Supreme Court, remember the New Haven firefighters case? That case was decided in favor of the firefighters...MSNBC.

Racism and discrimination can effect everybody in one way or another. I do hear what you're saying...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

No, both will obviously be prosecuted, but the DA or whatever can choose to investigate whether or not the person's sexual orientation was a factor in the assault.

Why would this legislation let murderers who kill straights get away with it? That makes no sense.

~Keeper

<<   2  3  4 >>

join