It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No men OR women needed: artificial sperm and eggs created for first time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

oO

those who f**k with mother nature will get bitten in the ass

Huh?

Is that like... if you cut down some trees to build a house and furniture and then your house catches on fire and then you and your family die, you were "bitten in the ass" by nature?

How about farming? Is that bad too?

Really, the people who get bit in the ass are the people who don't take advantage of nature... the nature of animals, the nature of plants, the nature of the earth, the nature of humans, the nature of society...

Why don't you just take all of your clothes off and go live in the forest then?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplausibleDeniability
I say screw God's creation, the world we live in is deeply flawed and heartbreaking. If we can make it better in any way, we have an obligation to do so.

Heck yeah. New and improved humons. Once they perfect this, they can throw out all the old design humons. Cool.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by GilligansSkipper

I wonder how much mind control is going to be used on human race, to condition them in understanding certain things. You have no idea of what techs may do to future generations.

All you people who think your need for sex is great, are the people who push the agenda, of madison ave, who in turn degenerate society into what it is today. The female gender is being pushed more into a male role, and the male gender is being pushed into what people think are female roles.

I think given time, mankind will emege as one gender, just because you like sex today means not tomorrow generation will. How do you know what techs will bring to society.

The biggest evolution in mas history will happen when we turn into one gender, lol. Probably we where one gender at the start, and we where divided like in the bible it states.

This news story is just the start of a long process. Not to worry for your lifes, but one day, maybe and thats a strong maybe. lol to all you people who think sex is something, that is a life necessity.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

That is nuts. So your dream world is one big homosexual world? If I wake up one day and there is just one gender I will blow my brains out (afterI eat a steak and drink a beer) in my final act of violent defiance.

There you have it people, the homosexual agenda gone mad.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by GilligansSkipper]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

To quote the Matrix:

"There are fields, endless fields where human beings are no longer born; we are grown."

Aren't there enough people on this planet, do we really need an easier way to procreate? Furthermore how can we trust people, whether medical scientists or not, to wield this sort of power around in a responsible way? This is all especially worrisome if you consider the global push toward getting every baby, and indeed every citizen, to give up their DNA to a mass genetic database so that everyone's genetic identity is on record.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Wow this is amazing news!

Screw the whole NWO army bla bla scary thing. This is great news for infertile couples, gays and lesbians, or people who just want to have a child but don't have a partner to have one with.

I for one am completely for us mastering our genetics and being able to tap the full potential of our genetic makeup.

I don't agree that we're on the way to one gender. I believe we're on the way to breaking down the gender barriers and becoming advanced enough to be able to switch ourselves around if we wanted.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
A lot of questions are left unanswered, one of which is what kind of offspring would be produced, but, even assuming that this works 100%, it hasn't done away with the need for men or women, because technically speaking, we don't need either already.

I submit to you that the only "reason" for men or women is the dominant sexual desires of either sex. The human race could go extinct right now...the universe would go on just fine without us, so talking about needs without framing it from a status quo human point of view is silly.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Aw but it's so much more fun to do it the old fashioned way

Anyway joking aside this is serious, I think this kind of destroys what it means to be human and to have family. I mean I guess I understand people that are infertile need a process like this. I think it's just so much more meaningful to have children the way nature intended. But that's just me I guess...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
With a diverse enough dna bank, you could solve all the world's problems by simply wiping 99% of the population out and starting over. Maybe in a nice garden. I'd keep it clear of snakes though, just to be on the safe side.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Reminds me of a song lyric....

In The Year 2525 / Zager & Evans

In the year 6565
You won't need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Thought we could send a spaceship to the nearest habitable planet with a suitcase full of sperm & eggs, and a few clever machines. Call it a species insurance policy. Their is a chance that this was our origine as well. ie a mothership brought our genes here.
I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of a women called Mother Shipton she made so many amazing predictions, maybe she was in contact with our "minder" who is still parked out their somewhere.
Have you heard of the 7 deaths from the flu of healthy young in the Ukraine? Our species is so dumb, so irresponsible but still we have the potential for greatness. Offering seeds and life from mother earth to the galaxy.
Me I decided a while back that I am on the side of our species. I am interested to see whether this science is good enough to serve us.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Yeah thats what the world needs. Parentless babies born and supported by the state. Sounds like a sci-fi nightmare to me

Really? Sounds like Urban America to me....

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majiq

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Yeah thats what the world needs. Parentless babies born and supported by the state. Sounds like a sci-fi nightmare to me

Really? Sounds like Urban America to me....

Now that I think of it, yes it does.
Good point.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is some REALLY scary sh_t.
I am going to hide in my basement now.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I believe in God, a soul and the afterlife. I believe that having a soul is what distinguishes people from animals (which have earth spirits that return to the earth when they die) and allows us higher thinking.

I also believe that a soul is only bestowed upon a living being by God almighty.

If they successfully create one of these things with synthetically-generated biology, I strongly believe they will find that it may look human but it will function like an animal. That's scary shiz, right out of a sci-fi mag.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

That's the thing, it's not artificial. It's a stem cell creating a perfectly normal reproductive cell. If stem cells were abnormal and caused problems in people, we wouldn't hear stories about them on nearly a monthly basis breaking some kind of scientific barrier.

The means of creating the cell are artificial, but the cell itself is the same type of egg or sperm cell your reproductive organs would produce.

IVF is an artificial means of pregnancy, but I haven't heard any stories of massochistic IVF killer babies running around soullessly murdering innocent people.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
I believe in God, a soul and the afterlife. I believe that having a soul is what distinguishes people from animals (which have earth spirits that return to the earth when they die) and allows us higher thinking.

I also believe that a soul is only bestowed upon a living being by God almighty.

If they successfully create one of these things with synthetically-generated biology, I strongly believe they will find that it may look human but it will function like an animal. That's scary shiz, right out of a sci-fi mag.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post, but I hope that when infertile couples decide to have a baby this way, someone with your beliefs won't start attacking their sons or daughters by telling them they have no soul, telling them they'll end up in hell, maybe denying them entrance to your church and the like. You, I, or anyone else have no way of knowing (beyond a doubt) whether or not something or someone has a soul. Let's judge people (no matter how they were/will be created) based on their actions instead of how they came about. These people haven't even been created yet and already (it seems to me) they are being attacked. Amazing.

On a different note; I am fascinated by what the human race is able to accomplish, and I always look forward to what they'll come up with next. There are yet so many dreams that haven't been physically realized, but I'm sure they're on the way. Every technology can be used for good or evil. You can use a gun to save or destroy lives. As long as our generation does a good job of raising their children to respect life, to wield power carefully and to take their time in making good decisions, our future should be safe. I guess its all up to those of you who are raising kids as we speak!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Reminds me of a song lyric....

Oh, thanks for that! I hadn't heard that song for a long time!

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
That's the thing, it's not artificial. It's a stem cell creating a perfectly normal reproductive cell.

Yeah, it's not true that "no men or women are needed". SOMEONE is needed for the cells. But this is a very interesting development. Now if they could just discover a surefire way to prevent unwanted pregnancy.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well you could always put a creatively placed sign reading, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" on your daughter.

That's probably what I would do with my daughter.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Huxleys Brave New World just reached visionary status!

This is disturbing news,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join