It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curry spice 'kills cancer cells'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The antii-cancer compound in Tumeric is curcumin. It is also found in mustards as well and it is what gives mustard its yellow color. So I would assume that mustard has the same benefits. (probably not the artifical condiments that you buy in the super market with fake coloring and very little real mustard seed powder in it)

www.psa-rising.com...

Also, the benefits subside once digested, so this would need to be injected intravenously to work well.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by elusivetruth
Also, the benefits subside once digested, so this would need to be injected intravenously to work well.

Or applied externally, apparently, as per one poster's response.

Ayurveda (a form of traditional holistic medicine practiced in India) has been around for hundreds / thousands of years and would probably be the first source we should look to for advice on how to use spices/herbs like this.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Coincidentally enough, i am currently reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, and he goes on, at length, about how the media will publish these kinds of things without really understanding the results (eg, the type of trial, the proper outcome, thre real benefits, etc).

He mentions tumeric and it would seem, this headline is not as accurate as it makes out.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sumgai
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Maybe that's why Columbus was looking for a passage to India?

Back then spices served as a form of currency. Remember they preserved their foods and meats with spices. Also food without spices is very bland. Try to go a week without any food with spices in it, you probably cannot do it! It's in practically everything you eat.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Colopatiron]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Seems like Medicine is going full circle. University of California also trialling curcumin in Alzheimer`s disease - now regarded as an inflammatory condition.
alzheimer.neurology.ucla.edu...#
Where do we stand in Medicine now?
2000 B.C. - Here, eat this root.
1000 A.D. - That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.
1850 A.D. - That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.
1940 A.D. - That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.
1985 A.D. - That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.
2000 A.D. - That antibiotic is unhealthy. Here, eat this root

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dr treg

Very good one, gave me an honest chuckle^^

And to contribute something more to this thread, i recently read: "The cure was here before the cause"

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
somewhat similar thread I created, if you'd like to read my views...

You Have Nothing To Fear (**read this thread it may change your life**)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
there is one problem in India
some men there love chewing tobacco way too often

it seems to cause bladder cancer quite a bit
apparently chewing tobacco is worse than inhaling it
because when you chew it, then you go urinate
it infects almost everything in the urinary track

another problem is pesticides in the form of fake alcohol
alot of people buy fake alcohol in india at lower prices
so to make it as strong as real alcohol they put pesticides in it

Most Chewing Tobacco is processed in a way that forms Nitrosamines.
Overall, chewing tobacco is less harmful than smoking. Among the poor of India
a type of Tobacco is smoked called Bidi(sp?) which is smoked without a filter. It is
3 X higher in nicotine than western tobacco. I believe it is smoked like a cigar and
not inhaled.

I suspect a lot of pesticides and other chemicals contaminate food and tobacco.
There is quite a bit of corruption in India, so adulterate foods and alcohol are a huge problem.

There is quite a bit of evidence that cancer is caused by an infection(see Rife).
Hygiene is poor in much of India, so if cancer has an infective component, exposure
is more likely.

As for "Fake" alcohol, I'm not sure what he is referring to. More people speak English
in India than in the USA, but it is a second language.

The benefits from Curcumin are probably overwhelmed by invironmental factors. It is
very unlikely that Curcumin is a cure all.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Usually the big Pharma corps try and extract what they believe to be the active ingredient in a natural substance and they patent that. They did that with American Ginseng to come up with the ColdFX product sold in Canada to fight colds and flu.

I have to admit that one actually works, but most of the time I would prefer to take the whole original food/herb/spice because it contains a multitude of ingredients, some only in micro amounts, that work to complement each other.

While not a cure-all for everything, natural substances should be the first place to look for prevention and treatment of illness; resorting to the artificial stuff only as a last and desperate resort IMHO.

The natural stuff is what got us thru the thousands of years of evolution before our modern science. I am sure it still all works.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I know a little about this - Mum has breast cancer, and I've spent a lot of time researching treatments for her. I was so impressed by turmeric, I take it myself and have found that it definitely eases pain from the little bit of arthritis I have myself.

I've had conversations with a cancer research clinic in India, who are doing pioneering work in isolating further compounds in turmeric (unfortunately I don't have their website details to hand), and the people I spoke with there urged my Mother to take turmeric as a whole, and not just the curcumin extract from it. They have isolated various other compounds (cuminoids I believe is the term) that have also produced excellent cancer-fighting results, including inducing apoptosis in cancerous cells whereby they self-destruct - hence ingest turmeric as a whole and not just the extract.

The Indian clinic advised my Mother to take a quarter teaspoon 3 times a week in milk (not in water, the milk vastly helps ingestion). I personally make up my own drink - a large glass of milk, 1 teaspoon of coffee, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and a half teaspoon of turmeric - give it a damn good whisking and it tastes pretty good.

I also have Mum on capsaicin (pepper extract), which has definitely reduced her swellings. This also apparently has strong evidence as a cancer treatment.

[edit on 29/10/2009 by GoldenChild]

[edit on 29/10/2009 by GoldenChild]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by UMayBRite!

No offense bro but absolutely everything you said is completely incorrect
2nd line

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Wow these are some of my favorite spices. I use curry and ginger quite often. Why would anyone try and ban curry!! I wouldnt be able to make my famous chicken

Indeed, and when are you going to host the ATS anti-cancer curried chicken dinner party? I am dying to try your chicken.

_________

On the main topic, The more this shows up, the more I have to chuckle quietly to myself. We spent ages *knowing* that these various herbs work on our ailements. Sometimes we learned it from watching the animals, other times we learned it through accident. But then "medicine" was "invented" and we threw away centuries of applied knowledge. Nice to see us coming back around again.

[edit on 10-29-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colopatiron
... it's stated that it would be nearly impossible to find a home without some spices in it...

Except for the hot-pockets-and-pot-pies crowd.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think we need to know a whole lot more, before we claim we've found a cure for cancer. Almost any chemical, in concentrated form, will kill cancer cells. That would include salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, pure (distilled) water, peppermint oil, alcohol, capsicum (red pepper), and so on, and so forth.

The problem isn't how to kill cancer cells. That's easy. Bleach will do it, iodine, all sorts of stuff. The problem is how to *selectively* kill cancer cells, without killing healthy ones. If you take enough salt, I guarantee you that you can kill every single cancer cell in your body. Unfortunately, you'll also kill every other cell, so it won't do you much good. That's the problem with anything that kills cancer cells. It also kills healthy cells, which is why chemotherapy is so hard on people. We're poisoning them badly enough to kill off lots of cancer cells, while hopefully not killing the person completely. The problem is, the person often gets terribly sick from the poison.

While it's fun to think that curry will protect you against cancer, it's probably not true. AFAIK, plenty of curry-eating people wind up getting cancer. It's important to realize that, even though curry may contain some anti-cancer chemical, it also may contain carcinogens.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

Originally posted by sos37
That should be an easy enough hypothesis to prove. What's the cancer rate in India?

Here are some ball park figures to start off with:

US:

The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2008, about 1,437,180 Americans will receive a new diagnosis of invasive cancer, and 565,650 Americans will die of this disease.

www.cdc.gov...

This year, over 1.3 million new cancer cases are estimated to be diagnosed [in the US], approximately 710,000 men and 660,000 women.

www.asbestos-attorney.com...

India:

1. Every year about 85,0000 new cancer cases are diagnosed in India resulting in about 58,0000 cancer related death every year.

cancerindia.net...

And India has between 3 and 4 times the number of people we do in the US...

They still rank as being one of the most cancer-plagued countries in the world, but behind the US obviously. I've heard Europeans talk lots of smack about Americans based on the fact that one out 3 or 4 of us will die of cancer, that our country is so unhealthy to live in.

I say blame the FDA and our big-business "healthcare" (doubletalk, anyone?) system that's only in it for the buck....

[edit on 28-10-2009 by bsbray11]

Well that Cinches it for me!

I went to get some curry today BECAUSE of this article....

I had to settle for Thai because evidently it's a SIN for an Indian Restaurant to be open between 3 and 5 pm :-)

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I make a batch of Turmeric capsules every couple months. I take them for many reasons including anti-cancer. Last night after a physically hard day I took one with Advil, as Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Did not get as stiff from the pain as usual.

Most diseases are caused by or produce inflammation. Turmeric is an excellent treatment and supplement. Ayurvedic medicine utilizes such as a herbal element commonly, and whose uses are thousands of years old, so I tend to appreciate such experiential wisdom.

Love (real) mustard now more than ever!

ZG

[edit on 10/29/2009 by ZeroGhost]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I may as well hit ye olde Indian grocers here in town and buy some curry- Try to learn to make some Indian dishes... tho... at the rate the world is going, who'd wanna to continue living in it?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Have you tried peroxide? Better yet, have asked an Indian? they eat it, and you know everyone cant keep it off their clothes- and I am sure you never see them with curry stains on them (unless they're members of the Dave Lister fan club
), so ask the right people.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Nice find!

I wonder though...was this observed in a petri dish? If so, I wonder if it would have the same properties after traveling through and broken down by the digestive system? What affect would it have if curcumin were injected straight into the blood stream?

Not to mention that most of the spices they sell in stores have been radiated.....

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I'm wondering how curry/ curcumen compares to the ingredient in red wine resveratrol?

There seem to be similarities.Ingredients in Red Wine May Lengthen Lifespan

According to the Boston Globe, in November 2007, scientists at Sirtris Pharmaceuticals said they’d created a drug that mimicked resveratrol, but was “1,000 times more potent … and could lead to solutions for diseases of aging, including cancer and diabetes.” Resveratrol contains an immune system–boosting enzyme called SRT1, which has the ability to extend the lifespans of various organisms.

I've been taking both for some time now. No side effects, no cancer, my wife says I complain a lot and don't do enough around the house.

[edit on 29/10/09 by plumranch]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join