It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curry spice 'kills cancer cells'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Curry spice 'kills cancer cells'

news.bbc.co.uk

An extract found in the bright yellow curry spice turmeric can kill off cancer cells, scientists have shown.

The chemical - curcumin - has long been thought to have healing powers and is already being tested as a treatment for arthritis and even dementia.

Now tests by a team at the Cork Cancer Research Centre show it can destroy gullet cancer cells in the lab.

Dr Sharon McKenna and her team found that curcumin started to kill cancer cells within 24 hours.

The cells also began to d
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Wow, they find this out in 2009?
Indians have been saying this since..... I don't even know how long!!!

I remember reading an article where the FDA is lobbying to try to get this condiment banned, as well as ginger, neem and other beneficial natural eatables.

Look below and we should think why???

Turmeric Shown to be Natural Remedy Against Alzheimer's
www.naturalnews.com...

Turmeric Found to Be Beneficial for Lung, Liver and Colon Health
www.naturalnews.com...

Turmeric Improves Cell Health, Boosts Immune System
www.naturalnews.com...

Study Shows Turmeric May Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
www.naturalnews.com...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Nice find!

I wonder though...was this observed in a petri dish? If so, I wonder if it would have the same properties after traveling through and broken down by the digestive system? What affect would it have if curcumin were injected straight into the blood stream?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The one good thing about truth, it always prevails.

Good post. S&F.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Wow these are some of my favorite spices. I use curry and ginger quite often. Why would anyone try and ban curry!! I wouldnt be able to make my famous chicken

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the FDA tries to get natural remedies banned. Anyone else besides me think that there should be a Food Administration and a separate Drug Administration. Seems to me that they have too much control by housing both under the same leadership. How can there be healthy debate when the FDA is the final word.

FDA...how did they even get those two lumped together? Food and drugs are two different beasts.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
That should be an easy enough hypothesis to prove. What's the cancer rate in India?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Great topic, thanks for sharing. I eat the odd curry every week or so, perhaps I wont have to worry so much about getting cancer from BBQs and other overcooked/carbonized food if I keep at the curry.

I'll add this info to my "stuff the pharmaceuticals don't want you to know" file.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Weird, not so long ago "they" were announcing that Curry was actually increasing the Cancer

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
That should be an easy enough hypothesis to prove. What's the cancer rate in India?

If only it were that easy - there are many other factors at work, including the level of healthcare, and the accuracy of how mortality and causes are recorded.

If anecdotal evidence counts for anything, then the article is probably right.

S&F for OP.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

This was in my opinion planed this way. The rise of western medicine and the vilification of the shamans and midwifes. They wanted to control medicine, and attacking the healthy benefits of food is just the next logical step.

And yes the drugs and the food should be separated. The fact that we allow one organization to control both, and be a simple mouthpiece for profit companies is sickening. When those companies can do their own research, and have it quoted by the fda, the problem should be apparent to even the most obtuse.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Here are some ball park figures to start off with:

US:

The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2008, about 1,437,180 Americans will receive a new diagnosis of invasive cancer, and 565,650 Americans will die of this disease.

www.cdc.gov...

This year, over 1.3 million new cancer cases are estimated to be diagnosed [in the US], approximately 710,000 men and 660,000 women.

www.asbestos-attorney.com...

India:

1. Every year about 85,0000 new cancer cases are diagnosed in India resulting in about 58,0000 cancer related death every year.

cancerindia.net...

And India has between 3 and 4 times the number of people we do in the US...

They still rank as being one of the most cancer-plagued countries in the world, but behind the US obviously. I've heard Europeans talk lots of smack about Americans based on the fact that one out 3 or 4 of us will die of cancer, that our country is so unhealthy to live in.

I say blame the FDA and our big-business "healthcare" (doubletalk, anyone?) system that's only in it for the buck....

[edit on 28-10-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
there is one problem in India
some men there love chewing tobacco way too often

it seems to cause bladder cancer quite a bit
apparently chewing tobacco is worse than inhaling it
because when you chew it, then you go urinate
it infects almost everything in the urinary track

another problem is pesticides in the form of fake alcohol
alot of people buy fake alcohol in india at lower prices
so to make it as strong as real alcohol they put pesticides in it

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
My family eats curry all the time. Especially a chicken dish my grandfather made ever Sunday.

He died from cancer 2 years ago.

Thanks for nothing curry.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DazE777
Thanks for nothing curry.

Did he do anything else that would have increased his risks of cancer, like tobacco, regular exposure to industrial chemicals, proximity to a big electrical station, any of those types of high-risk things?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

This is odd because i heard this about 5 years ago, is it just because they have tried it on a new cancer? Seriouslyyou can buy supplements with this stuff in. What i find interesting about the studies though is that they are done in petri dishes and there are very few studies testing this in humans and none that i know of that have tested it long term.

It also seems that the benefits are brought about with large doses, not really the small amounts you get in curry. Still curry is great and i eat plenty of it, it can even be healthy if you stick to the tomato and broth based curries. If made properly you can make them low in cholesterol, low saturated fat, tons of fibre, vitamins and minerals.

Incredibly tasty. Really a great food.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

it's not limited to curry
turmeric is mostly used as a coloring agent in indian dishes

like we have something called subzi, which is just a mixture of many things
often there are potatoes in it, you put turmeric in it so the potatoes get yellowish

the articles speaks of a condiment under the turmeric family tree.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well I'll be damned.

I'm going to have to link this information to my better half who has been swearing by "turmeric milk" and urging me to try it.

Personally, I couldn't bring myself to drink turmeric and milk mixed together, but she'll be ecstatic to hear me say that she was right and I was wrong.

Being a huge fan of Indian food, and curry in general, at least now I have an excuse to eat it more often!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I know it's not just limited to curry but it's the main thing i use it for that's all. Dahl is a great dish.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obscure Perception
I'm going to have to link this information to my better half who has been swearing by "turmeric milk" and urging me to try it.

turmeric milk is something they use in Gujurat
a place in India

they take it when you are sick
ppl don't normally tend to take it just like that for heck of it
they also put salt in it as well

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join