It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh no!!! shtf right now!!! Nuclear attacks on the USA are happening!!!... (this is just a drill)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Instantly equip my family. Everyone with a gun. First we would lock up all of our garages/barns/etc.

Secondly we would board up our windows and reinforce the doors. Were not barricading ourselves in; simply making a fortress.

Get all my friends and my survival group together (we meet in the basement of a funeral home on tuesdays.) and all decide on a final place to settle. Probably a place with close houses or maybe even RVs in the woods.

We would be our own town. Pool our resources. Strength in numbers.
Wait it out. Defend ourselves from those who didn't stock up on food and take resources from them when we had to end them. Bullets guns, etc.

Think Jericho.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

I do appreciate a sense of humor.
Thanks for the

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is an interesting post.

If I was still alive, I'd probably make a run to costco before it was emptied out.

I have quite a bit of stored food and supplies already but more would be good.

I'd also call / email my kids and tell them to come back to the farm.

If only a few nukes hit major cities, I think that the US would have emergency services running things in a few weeks. If the bombs continue to fall we can all bend over and kiss our ....... goodby.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have a big stock of bottled water, tape to seal the windows in my house and lots of tinned food. Also have water sterilisation tablets and my faith.

On top of that, I have a supply of batteries, a windup radio, a windup torch, pocket garmin satnav and all wrapped in tin foil to stop emp.

I keep my car topped up with diesel and live in Northampton, UK. So easy to get anywhere. Have relatives in deepest countryside of Wales so would head there if TSHTF.

Also have amateur radio handheld and mobile in car for comms so best of luck anybody!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
On a side note - now I know why you call yourself Doomsday
this is one doomy thread!

Humouring your proposal though:

In your story I would have a bystander role. I am not an American nor live on American soil. The real blow (in a pratical manner) to my life in your doomy scenario would be economical I guess. I would lose many luxuries that I currently enjoy but since I already enjoy being part of a community that still finds pleasure in growing food and exchanging them with their neighbours for free I'd be OK. I'd most likely have to stop smoking (no excuses this time) but that's a good thing anyway.

My grandmother used to say she starved twice in her life. First time during WW1 and the second time then during WW2 (as she was raising 4 kids on her own... her kids themselves never starved, she made sure of that). She died a happy woman being taken care of by her children and grandchildren in 1994 - 84 years of age.

In conclusion what I mean to say is that the human spirit is much stronger than any doom that could possibly be thrown at us.

Cheers.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by InTrueFiction]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Sure, I'll play. First, since I'm probably outside working, I don't even hear about what's happened for several hours, and even then, most likely a frightened call from my buddy in central Florida.

We won't loose power for at least three weeks, as our power comes from a few giant diesel generators that run the whole island. Fuel storage is probably about three-4 weeks worth. Here at our house, we won't loose power at all, unless God forbid, the intial strikes escalate into a nuclear exchange that decreases the sun and foils our PV panels.

I'd get my darlin' home quickly, making sure she alerted everyone at work. I'd try to call various friends/family globally, and would probably be frustrated by the lack of signal or commandeered transmission lines.

I'd get out our Kerney fallout meter, masks, cannisters, wind pattern printouts and hand-crank sw radio. Would review supplies. No problem there -- there's enough for several prudent people to live indenfinately, particularly considering the profound coconut crop here. Water is not going to be a problem for a very long time, even with possible fallout.

If retaliatory strikes elsewhere might drift fallout here, we'd bug out to the cave. hardest part of that would be listening to the cats screech in their cat hotels. (we've done this drill before in the advance of a hurricane).

We'd pray and try to get information via the sw radio. Would possibly go to one of two ham operators on the island if no other info was forthcoming.

Our local network of like-minded folks would probably gather here, at least initially as we're centrally-located.

Water source is either one of two concrete cisterns, which are easily sealed and isolated from harvesting additional water. One is ALWAYS full, while we work off the other. In addition to that, there is a good well, which is also sealed, at least from above. Water is drawn into the house via a 12V pump with a demand switch, such that it pressurizes to 40psi and only comes on when the water is drawn. It runs off two cycled batteries, and is charged by PV cells.

I think there'd be a lot more praying. I'm sure there would be a panic here, and we'd have to think about how to start processing and producing food so those unprepared wouldn't tend to be instant enemies. This island is not so very far even today, from their pioneering roots. I don't think we even had power until the 60's.

The very worst thing besides the worry for loved ones and those in cities, would be the lack of credible information. I think of the TV series "Jericho". That series really ticked me off how it rambled and withheld information, but what did seem accurate to me was how people's behaviors changed in response to the unknown and lack of information. I think that was accurate.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm glad to see a bunch of you have food stocked up and other materials. Just make sure you have the ammo to defend it!

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by The_Zomar]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar
I'm glad to see a bunch of you have food stocked up and other materials. Just make sure you have the ammo to defend it!

If in dire circumstances a starving man pointed a gun at me demanding that I'd give him my food I'd invite him for dinner.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Quite the daring young man today arn't you?
I must admit that sent a chill up my spine.
Bravo!
Even if I were caught with my pants around my ankles, I could still rely on one thing .My God given resourcefulness.

If in dire circumstances a starving man pointed a gun at me demanding that I'd give him my food I'd invite him for dinner

If this were me I'd do the same thing.
Then just when he felt comfortable I'd grab a piece of bread off of his
plate shove it in his mouth and through him out the front door without his weapon. He could have asked before pointing his gun at me.
That isn't saber rattling either.It's manners.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by InTrueFiction

If in dire circumstances a starving man pointed a gun at me demanding that I'd give him my food I'd invite him for dinner.

Thank you. I'd likely do the same, particularly given that the person would be someone I know (only 1500 people here). I wouldn't necessarily leave myself vulnerable such that any old mook could get the drop on me, however your response infers to me that you've thought about this before. Good for you -- an honest answer without gratuitous saber rattling.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If TSHTF, I will

a) fill up bathtubs full of water because there'd still be pressure for some time
b) drive to local Walmart asap and if I'm lucky, score as much water, fuel and canned food as I can (and maybe perish in the process of mobbing the place).
c) spend a few days in the basement using respirator masks

We have modest reserves of water and food, and if we sustain ourselves for a week, we can hope for some help to come from mainland.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
reply to post by InTrueFiction

Thank you. I'd likely do the same, particularly given that the person would be someone I know (only 1500 people here). I wouldn't necessarily leave myself vulnerable such that any old mook could get the drop on me, however your response infers to me that you've thought about this before. Good for you -- an honest answer without gratuitous saber rattling.

I have thought about it before, yes.

We live in a world of uncertainties and many fears - it inevitably pulls us into an abstract vision of what we should protect. What has most value.

We're in a discussion about a situation where the SHTF. I believe that if the SHTF - or not - the one thing that needs to survive and must be protected is humanity. The stuff that makes us, that is the core of our existence, that we all stand for, that inspires in us the very notion of protection. Even in the worst scenario.

Survival. For me it is not about how many bags you packed or how much ammo you have but instead how many people you have around you. When the SHTF I like to think that instead of turning to their guns people turn to each other and stand together and survive. Share and look after each other.

And I am confident that if we're here today is because our ancestors - just like us - had the gift of kindness, good will and generosity. When things got tough they shared, held each other and stood together. As we ourselves would I am certain and hopeful if the S did hit the F.

I know that in Doomsday's scenario that makes me the most annoying member of any survival party
I know... and am pretty sure that between the starving raider's gun and the survivalist's shotgun someone would shoot me.

But in the end whether the S does hit the F, or if it misses the F just slightly and hits the toaster instead, or even if the S doesn't get to fly at all... I will die. We all will. It upsets me really. The only thing that makes it less painful is the thought that in the end, regardless of what happens, I get to have "He meant well. R.I.P." written on my grave. That's a legacy I can live... well... a legacy I can die with. Regardless of the fan's cleanliness.

Cheers.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join