It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Animals is Making us Sick

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Another way that eating animals makes us sick is the waste from the animals and how it affects crops:

Fertilizing Crops

The EPA reports that roughly 99 percent of dairy operations distribute their waste overland, in an attempt to fortify the soil. They also note, however, that 36-61 percent of small (200-700 milking cows) dairies have insufficient land to absorb the nutrients of their manure, while 14 percent have no land at all. Fifty-one to sixty-eight percent of large facilities (>700 milking cows) have insufficient land, and 22 percent have no land (EPA 2002, p. 4-83). This discrepancy is sometimes remedied by distributing manure on another farmer's land, but nutrients from animal waste often far exceed regional needs. In 1998 Carpenter et al found that "nutrient flows to aquatic ecosystems are directly related to animal stocking densities, and under high livestock densities, manure production exceeds the needs of crops to which the manure is applied" (p. 559). In this case, nutrients become pollutants and can be toxic to living systems.

Source

With that in mind, it doesn't matter how you regulate your diet if you eat any food, meat or vegetables, that are tainted by such means noted above.

I looked for a source, yet I read elsewhere that over 98% of animal products are produce under factory farm conditions.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by dzonatas]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dzonatas

You and Rawhemp are horrible about this....

Where is the SOURCE?!?!?!?!

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
The big cat observation did not take into account the process in which big cats in captivity and Inuits get their Vitamin D respectively.

Again, my point wasn't about big cats 'in captivity'. The report about big cats can easily show the dietary needs of all big cats, even mostly those not in captivity -- by contrast! I also took in account the wild.

No, it's an observation that eating animals DOESN"T make us sick.

How a specific culture 'eats animals' and how the greater poulation 'eats animals' is apples and oranges, or maybe I should say chickens and cows.

"Westernized," in the case of the Inuits, means foods such as flour, sugar and vegetable oils.

Well then, I was mistaken. As I thought westernized also includes the mere exposure of the one culture to another. Tuberculosis was one disease that Inuit found hard to survive through.

We could say the westernized world was more healthy tan the Inuit since the westernized people were somehow immune to tuberculosis, which is thought to come mainly from cows and pigs. You notice that cows and pigs do not live near the Inuit.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by dzonatas

You and Rawhemp are horrible about this....

Where is the SOURCE?!?!?!?!

Huh?

The OP is about an article, which the author wrote a book called 'Eating Animals'. Here is a link: on amazon.

I read in a summary that it is stated in there that over 98% of animal products are from factory farms.

*facepalm*

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Well, i dont know about brownie worshippin hippies, but i for one dont appreaciat Vegans getting Zealous and up in my face because im Native American and eat meat for survival aswell as using everything on the animal, even the bones. What are people supposed to eat during winter when no edible vegetation grows? Eat Dirt? I'd like to see what would happen if a bunch of self righteous vegans and Vegetarions tramp onto an Indain reservation holding picked signs that say "MEAT IS MURDER" "SOY BRINGS JOY" and all that other bs. And then look at them wearing feathers, and animal skins and bones etc, and then Vegans tell them: "Hey Redskin! Stop Eating meat!!! Meat is MURDER..." And then splash red paint on their deer skin garments and shout "Fur is MURDER!!!" And just see what happens. I'll tell you right now i would not be surprized if these tofu eating idiots wiould do something like that, just because of diet.

Waaaaahhh, dont eat meat its not good for you... Whiiine, stop hunting deer! You should be a vegetarian/vegan instead... Whaaaaaa!!!! If you eat meat then youre evil and an animal abuser!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
***spoiler alert***
its 2009, and your using the internet ona compuer.
your ancestors would even agree that its not nescessary to murder livestock with all the avaiable resources man has at its disposal now. if you think they respected animals, they would probably agree with the concept of unecessary killing bringing aobut bad karma.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...
www.cnn.com...
2 articles both on the front page of cnn.com
at least for today, your meat is indeed making you sick.
edited for link accuracy!

[edit on 7-12-2009 by STFUPPERCUTTER]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

its usually human processing that is causing that, and oysters are well known to cary virus. Anyway, Drinking water can give you gastroenteristis, more so if its a natural water source....this really isnt a arguement, and I have gotten sick from vegetables, no to mention there are indeed berries and plants that will not only make you sick but kill you. I think the point of the thread was more about the impact of meat consumption on the body, not the "bacteria' we ingest...sigh~

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
i was unaware it was possible to get met with no bacteria on it.
could you please provide me with a link to bacteriafree meat?
if not please dont discredit my link using your perverted opinions.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by STFUPPERCUTTER

What are you talking about? I didnt say that you can get meat without bacteria...can you re-read the post, slowly if required.....
Bacteria is everywhere including water, do I really need to point that out?
And since when is bacteria a meat or a animal?
Bacteria and viruses make you sick, not the base organic product. Unless its a poisonous plant, berry or meat/fish.

Plants can make you sick as can water by carrying bacteria/virus. Please Im not going to respond to the bacteria arguement anymore its kind of astounding one would bring that up?

[edit on 7-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tyxquarra Xxxendra HoTTch
What are people supposed to eat during winter when no edible vegetation grows? Eat Dirt?

Lets see first off humans clearly aren't designed to live in cold weather, our natural habitat is the tropics.

You could easily survive self sustained in a zone that changes seasons and snows tho. Apples fruit at the end of the season and will last thru the whole winter, persommons and oranges too. Berries fruit in the winter, often while its snowing. Dates last stored for up to a year. Beets. carrots. parnsips. rutabaga. globe onions. All these vegetables produce at the very end of the season and will last through out the cold season. Wild vegetation is always growing even in the coldest weather and most of it is edible.

Your argument has no basis in fact and on top of that you try to turn it into some weird peta retard crap. Get a clue dude.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp

Originally posted by WiseIsAwoken

I did read your article, how do you think I knew who the Hunza were? Why would I include an article just about them? So, again, from the same link as before, the Hunza, they don't eat just vegetables.

"the land of the Hunza in northern India- all three use whole milk products. The people of Hunza and Kashmir consume whole fermented goat milk products (kefir); inhabitants of Vilcabamba consume raw cows milk which they usually separate into cream cheese and whey;"

And again from the other article I linked before, the Hunza from the article you linked.

"even more extraordinary, when his rats were fed the same diet as that of the Hunzas, a diet limited to locally produced grain, vegetables, fruits, and unpasteurized goats milk and butter,"

All that cooked food clogging your brain??? Its not about the Hunzas either
. Someone needs to go back to grade school to learn some reading comprehension. The people are called the Brok-pa Aryans, did you not read the quotes i posted? the only place it even mentions hunza is when it says what region they live in.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by Rawhemp]

Clearly your comprehension is lacking due to your nutrient starved brain, because if you had any, you'd realize "Brok-pa Aryans" is referring to the people who inhabit the different regions in the area. Hunza, Gilgit, Leh, Kargil are some of the regions that make up the are, the inhabitants of the are the Brok-pa aryans. You know? The supposed 5000 year vegans the author is referring to, and if the author wasn't straight forward about the Hunzas' diet, how can anything else in that article be taken seriously?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

ok, I'll call your bluff. Name five things you would eat if stuck in the North American wilderness (let's say north of lake Superior) in February with 5 feet of snow on the ground!

Look no time for you to look it up because your plane just crashed and you forgot your woodland survival book at home.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by palg1]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

blueberries, blackberries, Strawberries, Red Raspberries, and Bunchbarries. You have to remember that a vegan isn't the same thing as someone who's stranded. Indigenous peoples to cold climates would grow fruits, grains, and veggies to last for the winter seasons.

Also, due to the lack of hair on our bodies (excluding Robin Williams) we aren't naturally suited for colder climates. We're warmbodies!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Clearly your comprehension is lacking due to your nutrient starved brain, because if you had any, you'd realize "Brok-pa Aryans" is referring to the people who inhabit the different regions in the area. Hunza, Gilgit, Leh, Kargil are some of the regions that make up the are, the inhabitants of the are the Brok-pa aryans. You know? The supposed 5000 year vegans the author is referring to, and if the author wasn't straight forward about the Hunzas' diet, how can anything else in that article be taken seriously?

The people refereed to as the hunza's who inhabit the hunza valley region are not the same tribe as these people. What don't you get about that? These are not the Hunza's they are a completely different tribe. How can anything you say be taken seriously when you can't even grasp that concept?

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Rawhemp]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1

ok, I'll call your bluff. Name five things you would eat if stuck in the North American wilderness (let's say north of lake Superior) in February with 5 feet of snow on the ground!

Look no time for you to look it up because your plane just crashed and you forgot your woodland survival book at home.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by palg1]

Maybe go back in this thread and read some of my posts, i specifically stated eating meat is only for times of extremely scarcity.

Meat should never be a necessity tho if you live in mans natural habitat

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avarus... we aren't naturally suited for colder climates. We're warmbodies!

There is some serious truth in that I think society tends to miss.

I lived near the equator for awhile and I lived above the equator for awhile. I was so much healthier near the equator. Even with all the sun exposure, my hair changed to a lighter silky streaks of golden color, yet I'm sure the humid climate had something to do with that besides the sun.

If anyone can't stay in the direct sun for more than a half hour, then maybe arctic weather is for them.

Maybe there really is coldblooded humans?

[edit on 7-12-2009 by dzonatas]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Read the frigging question! You don't have access to these unless you've found a frozen bush that had not already been scavenged by all the little rodents (That I will be eating!).

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I guess I don't understand the point of your thought process... If you were stranded on an island with only coconuts and no animals or fish for miles... I guess you'd eat coconuts.
Or if you were in a submarine that failed I guess you'd be eating the decomposing bodies of your crew mates.

I see what you were getting at, in harsher climates during the winter time, animals may be more abundant than plants, however my point is that humans are not made to be in these harsh climates. So if you end up in one, it is because of modern technology you are there. By 'modern' I mean the invention of fire and so forth.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp

The people refereed to as the hunza's who inhabit the hunza valley region are not the same tribe as these people. What don't you get about that? These are not the Hunza's they are a completely different tribe. How can anything you say be taken seriously when you can't even grasp that concept?

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Rawhemp]

So much for vegetarians
en.wikipedia.org...
"Brokpa vary with respect to the amount of meat (mainly mutton) that they eat."

[edit on 12/7/2009 by WiseIsAwoken]

[edit on 12/7/2009 by WiseIsAwoken]

new topics

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join