It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Animals is Making us Sick

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   

www.cnn.com

We need a better way to talk about eating animals, a way that doesn't ignore or even just shruggingly accept things like habits, cravings, family and history but rather incorporates them into the conversation. The more they are allowed in, the more able we will be to follow our best instincts. And although there are many respectable ways to think about meat, there is not a person on Earth whose best instincts would lead him or her to factory farming.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is a really good article... the question isn't about tradition... it's about factory farming period and ultimately, it's effect on us.

Whatever the case, if you know what to look for, the pathogen problem comes into terrifying focus. For example, the next time a friend has a sudden "flu" -- what folks sometimes misdescribe as "the stomach flu" -- ask a few questions. Was your friend's illness one of those "24-hour flus" that come and go quickly: retch or crap, then relief? The diagnosis isn't quite so simple, but if the answer to this question is yes, your friend probably didn't have the flu at all.

He or she was probably suffering from one of the 76 million cases of food-borne illness the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has estimated happen in America each year. Your friend didn't "catch a bug" so much as eat a bug. And in all likelihood, that bug was created by factory farming.

Alan Watts mused that we all have to kill to live on this planet... but we it's how that is integrated into our lives which determines the effects on us all.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Alan Watts mused that we all have to kill to live on this planet... but we it's how that is integrated into our lives which determines the effects on us all.

This is false, meat is not needed in any way shape or form. Humans only need 2-5% of there food intake to be protein based. Over eating of protein is the main cause for just about every disease and sickness out there today. The fact that most meat comes from unsanitary factory farms should really turn you off to this whole meat eating culture.

My solution to the problem? Plant mass amount of date trees, they contain every macronutrient and micronutrient in almost perfect proportions and they are the most calorie dense foodstuffs on earth!!!!

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp

This is false, meat is not needed in any way shape or form.

bull#.

human are omnivores much like bears. Ever seen a bear only eat leafs and be happy? no you haven't because if they don't get meat they start attacking humans for their meat. Vegetables are good and all but meat is what we need.

Whether you believe in god or evolution, we still have canine teeth which are used to tear through meat. therefore we need meat.

as for the OP yes factory farms are the cause of most of the diseases with their terrible conditions and questionable practices. unfortunately in the modern world its hard to escape their products.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well, the way I go about it is I buy a head of steer from an Amish guy who only keeps a limited number of steer, grazes them freely, does not inject them with steroids or antibiotics and cares for them as pets. They are given minimal, if any, grain feed and are treated very humanely. When the time is right he slaughters them and burtchers them and vacuum seals the cuts of meat. By buddy and I split the cost and the meat and then we each have beef for the year. I do the same for the chickens and pork I eat as well.

The cost is actually slightly less than buying at a grocery store or butcher shop. The carbon footprint is much smaller. The product is much cleaner, safer and healthier. Screw this vegan crap - I want steak and I'm gonna have it!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

Originally posted by Rawhemp

This is false, meat is not needed in any way shape or form.

bull#.

human are omnivores much like bears. Ever seen a bear only eat leafs and be happy? no you haven't because if they don't get meat they start attacking humans for their meat. Vegetables are good and all but meat is what we need.

Whether you believe in god or evolution, we still have canine teeth which are used to tear through meat. therefore we need meat.

We don't need meat actually, if you seriously think we do prove it? Our teeth are nothing compared to a carnivore. Humans arn't bears... We're more like monkeys who happen to be primarily frugivores. Meat doesn't fuel our body, carbohydrates do which come from fruit.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

our bodies are meant to ingest meat. meat is easily digestible while things like fiber found in vegetables is completely non digestible. while this is good for our colon and whatever else it just proves that our body wasn't made to handle it.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

That 76 million number makes no sense. We've all been through that "24-hour I feel like total crap" episode and never once did I tell any statisticians about it.

Secondly, your title is misleading. Eating animals keeps us alive. If you only had an animal to eat and nothing else, you would die faster from starving than from eating the animal unless you were unlucky and ended up with a severely diseased last animal. Eating = life. Starving = death.

The thread title should be, "Eating contaminated foods is making us sick". In that case, I hear a large resounding, "Duh."

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

reply to post by Rawhemp

our bodies are meant to ingest meat. meat is easily digestible while things like fiber found in vegetables is completely non digestible. while this is good for our colon and whatever else it just proves that our body wasn't made to handle it.

Source? you can't digest cellulose, you can digest fiber...

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Rawhemp]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
www.hsph.harvard.edu...

Officially, fiber is a type of carbohydrate that the body can't digest.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

You do realize that gasoline isn't the only thing that keeps the car running, right? I mean, if you don't change the oil, replace the spark plugs, change your filters, keep up on fuses and plug wires and belts and what-not, then gasoline ain't gonna do a THING!

We need every nutrient that we can absorb and use. Carbs are not our life-blood, they just help motivate us. I am not attempting to understate their importance so much as trying to enlighten one as to the equal if not more vital importance of other nutrients.

The same goes the other way around. If anyone is dumb enough to cut carbs from their diet in an attempt to "lose weight", do you know what happens to your car if you run it on empty often instead of keeping it relatively full? You burn the fuel pump and other important parts out. Without the fuel pump, ain't no gasoline gettin to the pistons!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I remember, a very nice video on how to start your own cult:

howeverm what is interesting is.. that the governments do behave like they want to start a cult. Look, everything this video says, it is actually practiced by our governments!!!

Concerning the "meat" - so much noise around this subject lately. The purpose is to take control on the food supply.Proteins are known for helping brain fuctions, and evolutionists do think that gorilas are still at the level they are just because they never started to eat meat, so they spend all their days eating low proteing food. I do not want to be as smart as a gorila.. do you ?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I cant beleive someone can be this ignorant.

sure factory farming might have some health implications thats why I eat free range meat.

Did you know our closest relative the chimpanzee hunts for meat and eats smaller monkeys?

did you know that many apes eat meat as part of their diet?

Humans need meat in order to survive we are omnivores.

vegetarians die earlier than people who have a balanced diet... people who eat too much meat die earlier from heart problems if its too much red meat.

if you think plants contain everything, your right, but not in the concentrations that we get from meat. Protein, iron, vitamin B, you get the idea.

Vegans think SOY is the answer to everything, in fact you want to know why vegans and vegetarians have the same look about them? pale white and skinny?!?!

its called Anemia, and a lack of iron and protien, this is caused directly from an ABUSE of SOY products. Soy is healthy in small amounts but replacing an entire diet with nothing but high amounts of soy and beans and vegtables will kill you.

Soy is PROVEN to cause anemia when eaten in high amounts, this is also why babies are not allowed to be given soy. Even though some retarded vegan parents give their babies soy milk think they are doing good, but cause severe brain damage to the child.

then.. we had the birth of sarah palin.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Man, I wish I could find someone like that around here. Livestock production, even for family farms, as gone completely by the wayside. We don't even have a slaughterhouse in town any longer.
I sure miss the taste of homegrown meat.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sounds like something PETA would say.

I think I will stick with my ancestral Hunter/Gatherer roots. You realize that human evolution was largely based upon our eating habits. Far be it from me to try to change the course of evolution.

I simply keep my meat intake to small portions (about 4 oz. per day) and make sure to buy free ranging/grass fed meats...nothing with hormones pumped into it.

I'm healthy as a champ!

Just my 2-cents

EDIT: wanted to also state that the "24-hour stomach flu" is Waaayyyy overstated. People use that excuse to get a day off work or to get out of a social engagement that they do not want to participate in. There is no real medical diagnosis for this illness. It's mentally generated in most cased IMO.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Well.... as I sit here drinking my freshly juiced glass of just picked beets, herbs with carrots, garlic, jalapeño pepper, apple, and ginger I would have to agree with the author that eating meat... "makes us sick".

I never liked eating grilled, roasted, fried, etc... "puss and mucous".

Perhaps a person's palate is more a matter of "genetics" than "choice".

Eat yer' meat.... "hybrids".

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I would like to see you "No-meaters" trying to survive in nature, like our ancestors, without eating meat.

I'll give you three weeks, then it's over.

Veganism, is a luxury trend, look at the remaining ancient tribes, that still live traditionally, for instance in the rain forest, there are no vegans there.

Veganism is an emotional and psychological condition imo, it's not natural.

Factory farming however, ain't either.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

I really don't want to burst your bubble or create an atmosphere of disagreement but... sorry. I do like to eat meat and I never, ever feel bad when I do.

In truth, a good barbecue of ribs is just what I need to cheer me up.

But of course, there are all those other things too. I smoke cigars, drink red wine and dammit all to hell, I also own several guns and shoot them regularly.

NOTE: Please send me advanced notice before I am to be picked up and shipped to reeducation colony.

Thanks

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I question this whole article.

Why?

Because of this:

Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet - Oct 27, 09

source

People will need to turn vegetarian if the world is to conquer climate change, according to a leading authority on global warming.

Enough said. WAY enough said.

The fruitcakes.

I don't condone factory farming but what I do subscribe to, and practice is
responsible meat *growing* and rendering.

But that's another subject for another thread.

*Munches away happily on a strip a beef jerky*

peace

[edit on 28-10-2009 by silo13]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Rawhemp

Seldom have I read such unadulterated balderdash in my entire life. If you wanted to know more there are libraries full of books on Vegetarian and Vegan Nutrition. You clearly know little about nutrition, as it applies to meat-eaters or Veggies.

I was brought up in a meat-eating household, and enjoyed it, but it adversely affected my health. So, I changed my diet about 27 yars ago and haven't eaten any animal flesh since. I don't eat cheese, eggs or animal milk now either.

I have also had my diet checked out by a professional Nutritionalist, and there were no problem areas there either. I also know loads of people who eat a balanced veggie diet with no problems.

I speak on the basis of long experience, not opinion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join