It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the french revolution - one of history's worst genocidal events?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I was just thinking about it and watching a program on the french revolution. you know there are six MILLION skulls and bones in the catacombs below paris that are the result of the MILLIONS of aristocrats AND PEASANTS who were guilliotined during this "revolution" (or perhaps one of history's worst bloodbaths?). it is really a gruesome sight if you see the miles and miles of tunnels with floor to ceiling skulls and bones stacked neatly. more peasants than aristocrats were actually killed.

this doesnt even count the thousands of people herded onto ships which were then dynamited or set on fire (dont recall which) and sunk. and the other ways that were used to kill people.

i think this is one of the worst genocides the world has ever seen; right up there with the killing of millions of jews in nazi germany; or with pol pot in cambodia.

yet its glorified in schools as being a wonderful thing for peace and democracy and freedom.

i dont think the horrific killing of millions of innocent peasants AND aristocrats - you cant tell me that every aristocrat killed was a horrible person. they were born into their position or title or family. many women; girls; children as well were horribly murdered. and what about all the peasants who were killed? MANY innocent and probably good people died there in the most horrible way possible. and yet it goes down in history as something to be proud of.

i think its worth taking a different perspective over this. if you think all world events are orchestrated by TBTB - including nazi germany, etc. then the french revolution wud fit the pattern. thought i might mention it in light of what i hear about the new world order and the ordering of millions of guillotines (Dunno if thats true of course; HOPE not), but it HAS happened before to millions of people, many of whom were probably totally innocent or good people, except for their birth.

and not one bats an eye. becuz it was all for freedom. etc. well, i have to say; i just dont think that the best way to achieve liberte egalite and BROTHERHOOD? is to guilliotine millions of innocent people. (i mean, if they killed aristocrats who were brutal or known for their crimes against peasants i wudnt have a problem with it; but im sure many were not like this). you could say robespierre was pretty brutal too; as was the committee that heard the trials.

and another point. re: marie antoinette's character and teh way she's gone down in history. if people really think she bankrupted france by wearing fancy clothes, they're crazy. she was hated cuz she was austrian. she was sent to marry the dauphin at age 14, poor girl - very young. the reason france was cash strapped and the peasants were starving was cuz louis acted on bad advice and sent money etc to help the american revolution against england (the french hate the english of course). but antoinette became the scapegoat.

louis had opportunities to escape but chose to stay becauz he said he loved his people. he refused to flee. this was pretty brave considering, i think. but its not really mentioned much. Also antoinette really was a good mum according to history and loved her children a lot; but her children were taken away from her; kept prisoner and abused/treated really badly and forced to say horrible things about their mother at trial. (something no mother should suffer). antoinette was also very brave at her death, and in the way she stuck by louis to the end. i think she's been misunderstood in history.

course im in no way defending the feudal system, and obviously things needed to change, and no doubt many of the aristocs were complete a.....h....s and probably did desrve it; but many also didnt, im sure. but look now - it was all for freedom and equality but what happened? the next thing they had was an EMPEROR, who was CROWNED. whats equal about that? and if you look at france today there are still classes. called the RICH and the POOR. so effectively, nothings changed in spite of the slaughter of millions.

my point of view...

Although, i should say that the IDEA of 'liberte egalite and fraternite' is a good one - if only a soceity could actually achieve it.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by rapunzel222]

[edit on 28-10-2009 by rapunzel222]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Throughout history of mankind, there has been many genocides. Those events are triggered by mass unconsciousness. Luciferian forces have been hard at work since the beginning of the human experience on Earth.
IMO, we need to keep an objective attitude towards history, because if we look at it in a subjective way, we loose energy.
If all humans were in their own intelligence, their own light, there would not be any wars, genocides, etc.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I should probably check first, but I dont think that the catacombs with millions of skulls and bones were from the revolution. They were from all the cemetaries that were around and they needed space for the cities to grow, so they pulled them out of the ground and placed them in the catacombs. Those millions of skulls and bones were from centuries of warfare and natural deaths.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Le Colonel
I should probably check first, but I dont think that the catacombs with millions of skulls and bones were from the revolution. They were from all the cemetaries that were around and they needed space for the cities to grow, so they pulled them out of the ground and placed them in the catacombs. Those millions of skulls and bones were from centuries of warfare and natural deaths.

yeah, you should check. i just saw a documentary on it. where do you think they put all the bodies?

some down there were probly from other causes but six million were killed in the revolution by guillotine, according to the documentary.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
For the record, the catacombs were used during the outbreak of plague in Paris 1397 (and later outbreaks) - no room in normal cemeteries. The Siege of Paris (1870-71) by the Prussian's led to numerous outbreaks - significantly tuberculosis - and the catacombs were again used as makeshift graves.

The Committee of Public Safety, (de facto government) during the French revolution implemented the reign of terror, which resulted in 40,000 deaths. Jacobinism was quite bloody.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
For the record, the catacombs were used during the outbreak of plague in Paris 1397 (and later outbreaks) - no room in normal cemeteries. The Siege of Paris (1870-71) by the Prussian's led to numerous outbreaks - significantly tuberculosis - and the catacombs were again used as makeshift graves.

The Committee of Public Safety, (de facto government) during the French revolution implemented the reign of terror, which resulted in 40,000 deaths. Jacobinism was quite bloody.

well the documentary specifically said the reign of terror resulted in 4 million deaths. thats quite a discrepancy with your figure. where do you get yours from?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222

if you think all world events are orchestrated by TBTB - including nazi germany, etc. then the french revolution wud fit the pattern. thought i might mention it in light of what i hear about the new world order and the ordering of millions of guillotines (Dunno if thats true of course; HOPE not),

spot on.

have u not ever noticed the symbol
at the top (in the background) ?

edit: that having been said, my own theory (which is not a claim to the truth) is that louis XVI and teh french aristocraty were becoming a problem for the (already international) banksters. the rise of napoleon could be questionned also.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by ::.mika.::]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

From historical records.

Four million did not die. I've seen the documentary you are referring. The four million are the bones combine, from numerous cemeteries, not all relating to the terror.

It did not suggest the terror resulted in four million dead.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
There are some good lessons to be learned from the French revolution and the reign of terror for all of us. Freedom has a price and if you are not careful you will replace one despotic regime with another.
I agree with Infinite that it was not millions who died during those events, from what I remember it was 70,000 or so - still enough to be called genocide if you wish.
I also do not blame Louis or marie antionette, Louis was actually very concerned for the people of France. Other kings were far, far worse than he, though he was the one who ended up being caught up by history.
Napoleans and Hitlers only get their start if there is a vacuum of power to be filled.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

After reading you're post, I went to YouTube to watch a video of the Catacombs, I'll be honest I had never heard of them. Thank you for bringing them to my/our attention.

The fist video i watched made me think of Freemasonry/Illuminati/NWO.

Here are two stills from the video and the video It's self.

So, maybe you're train of thought is not to far off the mark?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6087d629582.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e8d058dc7a35.jpg[/atsimg]

EDIT: Imbeding Video

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Agent-ATS]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Um... No, you obviously understood things wrong.

I studied french history during my scolarity in France, and there is no debate about it. A gross 20 000 were executed "guillotine style" with around another 20 000 executed by hanging or firing squad. The majority of those executed were either "Vendéens" or "Chouans", two of the names for the counter revolutionaries (the names they were given were associated with the regions they came from) which sided with the royalty. Nobles executed total something around 3000 (sources vary though because many of these executions were of the lynching type and were not condoned by the french revolutionnary governement).

500 000 were imprisoned at some stage or another of the revolution.

The Catacombs under Paris served as a mortuary "depot" since the 18 th century when it was decided that there was not enough room left in parisien cemetaries. The bones down there (roughly 6 million remains I believe)are actually from previous periods in time, and concentrate all and any human remains for the whole town and surrounding region since the early middle ages. Maybe you got mixed up, and thought that because it was the same century as the revolution, all these dead were from the revolution. They are not. The dead from the revolution, actually got some of the nice fresh graves that freed up. ^^

If it's just the documentary getting things wrong, then they need to go back to school.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Ismail]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Rappunzel, seriously, better to check your sources next times.

The skulls and bones in the catacombs are:

1/from the revolutions

2/ miners extractings the stones to build Paris

3/ plague victims

4/banned peoples

5/siphilitycs

6/prostitutes

7/rapes victims

8/ Monks and nuns

For information, the pictures of that part of the catacombs show only 1% of the real size of the Paris catacombs

Actualy the catacombs are 4 times the size of Paris and in some areas it can reach the suburbs areas near the capital city

new topics

top topics

join