It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children as sex symbols

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I thought no big deal in the costume... then I
scrolled down, and saw the rest of the picture.

Out of curiosity, what about that picture do you think "is a big deal?" Personally, I don't see anything sexual about it. Her torso is fully covered, there's no lace, no stockings, no choker...her breasts and hips are not accentuated, there's no innuendo, no sex accessories...it's a flat black dress with a ribbon, boots and a train.

Granted, it would never have occurred to me that the costume was supposed to be a witch. It doesn't look like a witch at all. But how is this sexual?

[edit on 28-10-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

So basically the father abused her repeatedly and most likely killed her?
makes sense seeing as the kid was found in the basement.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
the beauty pagents make me sick ! its wrong to parade kids like this , and any perv can go and watch the shows !

its really bad in the uk , lots of girls in their primary years and going into secondary school are dressing like they are older , its wrong , and the media and magazines and pop stars like brittney spears and the rest are to blame for makign children think they need to look dress and act like this to be popular , which is really important to kids !

however its really a disgrace

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
reply to post by DaddyBare

So basically the father abused her repeatedly and most likely killed her?
makes sense seeing as the kid was found in the basement.

I don't know..maybe... but the prime suspect for a while was one of the judges... then their were rumors that parents let these judges have sex with their kids to, bribe, said judge... I don't know if any of that is true.... but afterwards there were other girls who said that was expected... how the business worked and what you did to be in that game...
It never went any further than news reports and more rumors... but you have to remember these were very wealthy families not a creepy old dude...they know how to hush things up..
Just another sad reminder of just how far some will go to make sure their kids wins at all costs

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

Yep too right, females in uk, are a joke. When i would go raving, i just stayed away from them all, treating them all as things i would not want to be near. I am glad i never liked females, but your right females, are going out too young, there parents will never know what they get upto.

I am glad i will never bring someone into this world.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Theres no way to stop it unless you make it illegal, soo either get on with it and shut up or put your case to the courts.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Ya, its not just 'media' reporting though, its everything. Every single super hero is a guy with a 6 pack and handsome as #, and every female has natural DD and body harder than a calculus exam. Then every fat character in comics or cartoons is ridiculed.
Everything portray the hot young assholes who look down upon others at school, are the most popular and have the most fun, so kids want to emulate.

The newer trend is the 'fat guy/hot girl' like in Simpsons, Family guy, king of queens, I dunno you could go on, basically say you can be a lazy fatass as long as youre funny but women have to be attractive.

Gotta look at toys too, Barbie? Kinda idealstic I think (but Id tap that
)
Heres a more realistic Barbie: lol

reply to post by LordBucket

Really? You dont see a 9 year old wearing lip stick and eye shadow in a dress thats length will be illegal in most schools? In all mine we had a minimum length for skirts!! And thats in HIGH school this girls in elementary!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GW8UK
Theres no way to stop it unless you make it illegal, soo either get on with it and shut up or put your case to the courts.

Was this directed at me and my opening post?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
It was kind of ironic you mentioned your avatar thingy.....

You may not think you are directly encouraging children to be "sex icons", but the reality is that slutty is what we idolize -- As your avatar itself points out. The images that we consider 'attractive' in todays' society are affecting children who think they must look like THAT to be 'pretty'.

It's true, the images we idolize on a daily basis are not going unseen by little girls that are trying to find their place and acceptance in this world.

Just something else to think about.....

I understand your point of view..if I were posting on a forum directed at children , I would not use my current avatar. And if anything I, as a grown woman, are just as much of a victim of what society deems beautiful.
But, that being said..Iam 38 years old, and even though I may like the image, as pointed out, I would not dress like that, nor would I dress my child like that. It would be inappropriate in any setting. However there are parents that find it "cute" to play dress up in such a way..not realizing the consequences.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I have to agree with you AD. I was at the Halloween Store we have here the other day and I was a little amazed at the little girl's costumes. They had some outfits I felt were inappropriate for kids. I was looking for the Princess Leia bikini (think Jabba the Hut) and they only had it in the kids section for like 8 year olds. My friend that I was with just shook his head and I knew why. That to me is not for kid, thats an adult outfit! I dont know what happened to bag ladies or ghosts or witches like when I was a kid. I never bought a costume, we made them out of what we had and I had some of the coolest costumes, I think

I think what kids see now-a-days on tv and in video games is a little much. I have watched Sponge Bob with my best friends daughter who is 4 and sometimes I am like WTF. There are a lot of adult innuendos in that show as well as many others I have seen. Also I agree Hannah Montana is a horrible role model. She drives me nuts! Kids arent supposed to look sexy, they are kids!

I worked at an Elementary school for 2 years and the outfits I saw some of these kids in were a bit disturbing to me.

I have also worked retail for most of my life and the ages of some of the kids in the stores were a bit young. I use to tell them they would find things more appropriate at Limited Too or Gap kids or the department stores we had in the mall. One mom got mad because the clothes werent in her NINE year old daughters size. I told her out store was meant for teens and adults not little kids.

Another thing that I think doesnt help with this image, 9 year olds do NOT need fake nails, hair dye, make-up, fake tans or eye brow waxing! My GOD the ages of some girls I have seen getting these things done amazes me. I was playing with Barbie at 9, not worrying about my tan or nails for heavens sake. I am so glad I am not a kid in this day and age.

I use to be very into fashion and I still am just in my own way. I dont buy the mags anymore or watch the shows anymore because it makes me sick to see how they portray young girls and how women should look. Photoshopping has got to stop! Its ridiculous. Its sad really, when I was young I loved the fashion mags but they were nothing like they are now believe me I have them all still

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Raider of Truth

I love that costume! I'll have to order it for work. Now that is for an adult but I have seen one for little girls in the store. They had one that was a little fireman dress like that for kids under 12. We all know men like women dressed up in those outfits that are short and sexy, why in the world would they make one for a kid?! No wonder I didnt go into the fashion industry, I would never make something like that.

Oh and if your gf has knee high black boots those would go best with that outfit trust me lol

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
the beauty pagents make me sick ! its wrong to parade kids like this , and any perv can go and watch the shows !

its really bad in the uk , lots of girls in their primary years and going into secondary school are dressing like they are older , its wrong , and the media and magazines and pop stars like brittney spears and the rest are to blame for makign children think they need to look dress and act like this to be popular , which is really important to kids !

however its really a disgrace

OH beauty pageants are the worst!! Agreed! We have a reality show here in the US, go figure, named toddlers and tiaras or something like that. It is a reality show for kids who enter beauty pageants. I saw one episode and it just pissed me off that everytime I saw it was on I would mumble under my breath, my bf would just look at me. One girl was getting her teeth whitened at 8!! Another had a fake tooth because one of her BABY teeth fell out. My god the mothers are nutso! They make these kids live their dream because they werent able to do it or they did do it so they force their kids to do it. One girl had to dance everyday for 2hrs, then sing AND her mother had her on a diet at 9! I have never liked beauty pageants for kids or adults. Beauty is not everything~ You dont have to be 5'10", blonde and 125 lbs with fake breasts to be beautiful.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Goota think, even though things are meant for kids, who made them? Who drew this comic? Who created this character? Who wrote this Spongebob episode? Not kids alrighty
Luckily for that I think, because I think Spongebob is funny

All the really old childrens shows arent funny, kids just like them because theyre violent, mouse outwits cat and beats him over the head with frying pan... children laugh at violence not clever things. Thats why the Simpsons did Itchy and Scratchy as social commentary that violence is 'vilified' to kids.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by AccessDenied

To come up with a solution, you have to identify the root of the problem.
Who is masterminding the media directed at our young girls?
Disney?
Mattel?
MTV?
God forbid anyone complains and causes an uproar..their stocks might go down....

I'm gonna say MTV all the way! I grew up with the other two, although I blame Disney and their ideal of fairy tale relationships..lol

MTV when I waas growing up is NOTHING like it is now they should be ashamed. They really need to change their name too...When do they ever show music?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya

Goota think, even though things are meant for kids, who made them? Who drew this comic? Who created this character? Who wrote this Spongebob episode? Not kids alrighty
Luckily for that I think, because I think Spongebob is funny

All the really old childrens shows arent funny, kids just like them because theyre violent, mouse outwits cat and beats him over the head with frying pan... children laugh at violence not clever things. Thats why the Simpsons did Itchy and Scratchy as social commentary that violence is 'vilified' to kids.

Oh yeah I think Spongebob is hilarious but not for kids. Anytime we watched it with her daughter she would always ask why we were laughing and we would say when you are older you will understand. Shrek was another one that her son would look at us funny for for laughing. I think that was more for adults than kids but it was marketed to kids.

I think the person who comes up with the idea is to blame and in some ways parents. If parents dont want their kids around stuff like this then they dont have to buy it or let them watch it, but many parents from what I see now-a-days dont seem to pay too much attention to what their kids are really doing.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I think the person who comes up with the idea is to blame and in some ways parents. If parents dont want their kids around stuff like this then they dont have to buy it or let them watch it, but many parents from what I see now-a-days dont seem to pay too much attention to what their kids are really doing.

Case in point as well...that if you try to shelter your kids and steer them away from everything bad, you are labeled just as bad of a parent as if you let them run wild.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

Really? You dont see a 9 year old wearing lip stick and eye
shadow in a dress thats length will be illegal in most schools?

I don't base my own sense of sexuality on school dress codes. Whether or not it's accceptable attire in school...the question remains: what is sexual about that picture? What is so "out there" about it that's in inappropriate for a 9 year old to wear as a halloween costume? You mention the dress length...but is a nine year old wearing a bathing suit inappropriately sexual? I would say no.

To me this kind of thing seems more like adults playing dress-up-doll more than anything to do with sex. It may be demeaning to the child involved because they're being put on display to show off a costume, but in my mind showing thighs does not make one a sex object.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well apart from the part hanging down behind her, its a steretypical hooker costume.

Wrong... Yes... though not entirely for the reasons you may see

Going away... No

Going to get worse... Yes

You see like it or not, most men are by law paedohpiles, why? It is in our nature, it is the way we were MEANT to be. Now I do not by any way mean that all guys want to sleep with young girls, that is absurd, and clearly proven wrong by married adults; however, lets look at women these days.

Girls of about 12 - 16 try to look like they are about 18. Girls at around 18-20 seem okay with their age. And afterwards many try to look younger... Immediately this provides a problem, there is now an age range where, the older she looks the young she probably is... yet if you don't realise this, you could easily find an underage girl attractive.

Lets look at animals, most species reproduce as soon as they are physically ready, it is natural, yet we as humans have stopped this in our own species, which is unnatural. In fact in England, the age of consent only went up to 16 from 12...yes 12, in 1886 (I believe). Yes, that recently. Yet before this time it was accepted and girls didn't all grow up mentally destroyed, because naturally it was the way we were designed, we have our highest sex drive at this age and we are generally at our fittest.

So to bring it back...yes, children are often seen as sex symbols, especially in halloween costumes because naturally, a child of around 12 upwards is naturally ready...and so naturally appealing to a male mind. It is only because of changes society that we do not infact find the image attractive.

Does this make it right or wrong, I don't really know...does it mean it's here to stay, yes. And at the current rate of paedophillia it will only get more common.

This costume however is wrong whether being worn by a child OR an adult, because it does look like a prostitues costume, which, I don't really see why that should be entertaining at all.

posted on Nov, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I have an infant daughter - she went as 9 - I will not allow her to dress in anything that would make her a sexual object....it is sick...

it reminds me how many of us were shocked by the pageant photos of Jean Benet Ramsey

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Would someone be so kind as to post the costume in questions piccy again? I am unable to see it to make an informed opinion
thankyous

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join