It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bay Bridge closed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Bay Bridge closed!

www.sfgate.com

(10-27) 21:12 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Three pieces of an emergency repair to the Bay Bridge's cantilever section made over Labor Day weekend snapped and crashed onto the upper deck of the span late Tuesday afternoon, striking three vehicles and forcing the indefinite closure of the region's busiest bridge.
Images
A crew takes measurements of the fallen piece of metal an...Bridge crews light up a section of the cantilever where a...A rod snapped on the westbound lanes of the Bay Bridge du... View More Images
Video
View Larger Size
More News

* Afghan police: 7 dead in attack on UN in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
"It's way too early to say (what happened)," Anziano said. "We have to take a careful look at it."

The pieces crashed across the westbound lanes of the Bay Bridge's eastern span, east of Yerba Buena Island, at about 5:30 p.m., according to CHP Officer Peter Van Eckhardt. They hit three vehicles, but miraculously, nobody was seriously injured.

Read more: www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2009/10/27/BAO81ABJTF.DTL#ixzz0VCePsvEB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gonna throw a wacky theory out - was this INTENTIONAL? Like to keep martial law in San Francisco?

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
American infrastructure has gotten a D rating for years now. This is no surprise. All over the country bridges and roads are falling apart. One more reason why we should be spending money domestically fixing up our f'ing country instead of fighting an unwinnable war.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yeah, remember the bridge in Minneapolis, and the train derailing in DC? Same thing.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I agree with you that we need to fix our infrastructure.

I agree with you that our infrastructure is falling apart.

I don't agree with you about fighting an unwinnable war. Any war can be won if the people commanding the war allows the war to be fought in a no holds bar manner. As of now, it is still up for debate whether Obama wants to win this war or not.

Back on topic, what part of the infrastructure do you think the fed is responsible and what part is the state/city/county responsible for?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
American infrastructure has gotten a D rating for years now. This is no surprise. All over the country bridges and roads are falling apart. One more reason why we should be spending money domestically fixing up our f'ing country instead of fighting an unwinnable war.

No kidding...the new constructions like 7 lane highways in our city suck. They are effing stoopid, and please bring back the old guys that knew how to plan and design roads bridges etc. We are in trouble!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Geez. The bay bridge is such a piece of crap. Look at the havoc that was caused when nothing eventful happened whatsoever. Can you imagine what will happen if "the big one" comes before they've completed the new segment?

I don't think its anything intentional. I think its the byproduct of a state dreadfully in debt and the result of embarassingly bad infrastructure in this country.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Hey all, just my $.02, so here goes...

I live in Northern California and kept tabs on the news about this, the funny (read: ironic) thing about this is that these steel beams that fell off were from a section of bridge that was put in during an emergency repair over Labor Day weekend, just over a month ago now? Don't quite remember the date but it was a huge event in San Francisco to have the Bay Bridge closed, seeing as it runs across the bay from San Fran to Oakland. It caused huge traffic screw-ups across the city as large volumes of cars had to be diverted around the bridge. On top of this, the repair was mighty expensive, especially for a temporary fix, seeing as thats all it was.

Well apparently they rated that section a little too high, because pieces came crashing down!

This is going to have a HUGE impact on the lives of San Franciscans, imagine people's reactions who didn't watch the news or see warnings when they are on their daily commute to work tomorrow.

According to Wikipedia.org:
"... it carries approximately 270,000 vehicles per day on its two decks"
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

A little more info for anyone interested, as well as information for alternate routes, concerning any Bay Area residents:
Bay Bridge Info
511.org Traffic Info

On a final note, yes, America's infrastructure is crumbling around us. Many bridges were built during Roosevelt's era with the New Deal, in an attempt to pull us out of the Great Depression and on up to World War II. This makes the ages of many of these failing structures into their 60's and 70's, and these structures were only built with a life expectancy of 75 years. Their time is almost up, and with an utterly bankrupt state (not to mention country [not to mention world]), there are, sadly, going to be MANY more news stories such as this in the coming years, and they may not all be so casualty-free.

NEXUS

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

We do spend money domestically on infrastructure. The problem is that it gets earmarked for new projects like roads or airport upgrades... stuff that you can generally see... (that brings in the votes) but hardly ever for upkeep and maintenance.

Example:

Considered one of "the kings of pork" on Capitol Hill by taxpayer watchdog groups, the 19th-term Pennsylvania Democrat has piloted almost $200 million from Washington to Murtha airport. Much of the funding has come in the form of legislative earmarks that are attached to bills before Congress.

Taxpayer watchdogs have said earmarks -- often derided as "pork-barrel" spending -- are designed to fund congressional pet projects.

"[Murtha's] dumped in nearly $200 million into this project that has virtually no passengers. It's practically a museum piece," said Steve Ellis with the Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Murtha declined CNN's request for an interview. His staff issued a statement saying Murtha airport is vital infrastructure designed to "attract additional business" to the Johnstown area.

www.cnn.com...

Note: These are the same constituents that he referred to as rednecks... yet still they vote for him.

KJST flight statistics.

It has two runways... 4386 feet and 7003 feet.

flightaware.com...

[edit on 28-10-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

The rods that snapped held a "clamp" that was supposed to keep the fractured link together, said UC Berkeley civil engineering professor Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl. He said the repair was not designed to withstand high winds or earthquakes.

"This was not designed correctly," he said. "The combination of the weight of the traffic and the force of the wind exceeded the capacity of this temporary repair."

So... the bar that snapped had been put in place as part of an emergency "this will get 'em by" repair that had been done earlier.

I don't know whether to laugh or ridicule.

Man... I'm so conflicted.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I read one article that was blaming the steel imported from China as the part that failed.

I'd like more information on where the steel on the new bridge construction came from.

If it didn't come from the US steel mills, I'd like the politicians of the US to explain why not.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well... I don't know about civil engineering, but things like hull plating, nuclear power systems and pressure envelopes for submarines have a lengthy quality control chain that tracks the material from production to use.

I imagine that the sort of info you seek would be in the realm of engineering prints and construction details and purchase orders.

I don't have access to that... but if some stray reader does, it would be appreciated.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
there has got to be something with this bridge falling apart connected to 2012 or aliens or crop circles or the WebBot or Yellowstone.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Maybe they need to sell it to that Spanish-Australian company that have bought so many toll roads. Maybe then it can be fixed and maintained properly.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I think in the grand scheme of things, they can patch that bridge all they want... it isn't going to matter.

But like New Orleans living in a bowl below sea level... they will scream bloody murder when one of those faults lets go.

Edit Add: There are regions of California where the Earth moves or creeps along with no or minimal quake activity. They have drilled some of these areas down to where the detectable quakes are at and analyzed the minerals down in the San Andreas fault itself. What did they find? High levels of Serpentinite and Olivine. Serpentinite comes from the "hydration and metamorphic transformation of ultramafic rock from the Earth's mantle" Ultramafic rocks are high in magnesium and iron content and low in silica. Reacting with water in the right conditions you get dark Serpentinite. And interestingly when it gets broken up an ground down and reacted, it can form Talc. You know, the super slippery rock.

Now, what's the possibility that there may be some slow non-quake producing activity in the underlying rock between those fault lines... and is causing that bridge to stress and fail more often than they expected?

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 29-10-2009 by RoofMonkey]

new topics

top topics

join