It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to pay Taliban to switch sides

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This is nothing new. The U.S. has been paying the Taliban since the Soviet War. They are just now announcing it to the world.

Just like how the CIA, MI6, and Mossad new about Iran's nuclear facility in Qom for a few years before Iran made it public.

Also, just like how the U.S. has been funding Jundallah to attack Iran and make the region unstable.

It's all a Game and nothing more.

Soon everyone will wake up and see the illusion.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Thought I would add the wording of the bill to further add to this thread.

(1) AUTHORITY FOR FISCAL YEAR 2010- Subsection (a) of section 1202 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2006 (Public Law 109-163; 119 Stat. 3455), as amended by section 1205 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 (Public Law 110-181; 122 Stat. 366) and section 1214 of the Duncan Hunter National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009 (Public Law 110-417; 122 Stat. 4630), is further amended--

(A) in the heading, by striking ‘Fiscal Years 2008 and 2009’ and inserting ‘Fiscal Year 2010’;

(B) by striking ‘each of fiscal years 2008 and 2009’ and inserting ‘fiscal year 2010’;

(C) by striking ‘for such fiscal year’; and

(D) by striking ‘$1,700,000,000 in fiscal year 2008 and $1,500,000,000 in fiscal year 2009’ and inserting ‘$1,300,000,000’.

(2) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendments made by paragraph (1) shall take effect on October 1, 2009.

(d) Authority To Transfer Funds for Support of Afghanistan National Solidarity Program-

(1) AUTHORITY- If the Secretary of Defense determines that the use of Commanders’ Emergency Response Program funds to support the Afghanistan National Solidarity Program would enhance counterinsurgency operations or stability operations in Afghanistan, the Secretary of Defense may transfer funds, from amounts available for the Commanders’ Emergency Response Program for fiscal year 2010, to the Secretary of State for purposes of supporting the Afghanistan National Solidarity Program.

(2) LIMITATION- The amount of funds transferrable under paragraph (1) may not exceed $50,000,000.

(3) CONGRESSIONAL NOTIFICATION- Not later than 15 days before transferring funds under paragraph (1), the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the congressional defense committees a report setting forth the Secretary’s determination pursuant to paragraph (1) and a description of the amount of funds to be transferred under that paragraph.

(4) EXPIRATION- The authority to transfer funds under paragraph (1) shall expire at the close of September 30, 2010.

(e) Use of Funds for Reintegration Activities in Afghanistan-

(1) AUTHORITY- The Secretary of Defense, in coordination with the Government of Afghanistan and with the concurrence of the Secretary of State, may utilize such funds as necessary from amounts available for the Commanders’ Emergency Response Program for fiscal year 2010 to support the reintegration into Afghan society of those individuals who have renounced violence against the Government of Afghanistan.

www.govtrack.us...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

From source:

A clause in the annual defence appropriations bill says they can use the money to support the "re-integration into Afghan society" of those who have renounced violence against the Afghan government. Although $1.3bn (£691m) has been authorised for the fund as a whole, no specific sum has been allocated to the re-integration programmes, our correspondent says. The Senate Armed Services Committee chairman, Senator Carl Levin, has said he envisages the money being used to pay former Taliban fighters to protect their communities

Beefcake said:

Definitely a sign of success when you have to pay them to stop killing you. Funny that traditionally i thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists much less pay them to stop terrorizing.

Source:

would be paid for "mainly protection of their towns and villages," Levin said. It would be "just like the sons of Iraq," he said, referring to the program used in Iraq which military commanders say helped turn around a failing war.

If it worked in Iraq it will probably work in Afghanistan!

You have a problem with a program that protects villages and decreases terrorism Beefcake?

Just wondering!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Well if they go for it then it proves they aren't as committed as people believe. There is an almost Mythic belief in the Talibums. They are just as human as the next guy complete with human frailties and shortcomings.

Most of the fighters have families and outside of Poppy production there is not much else available with which to make a living. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

We are not really there to fight the Talibums but hunt for and eradicate Al qaeda.

The US wants to defeat al-Qaida in Afghanistan

Whisper it quietly. Contrary to popular opinion, the west has won the war in Afghanistan.

We've won. It was critical, after 9/11, that we went into Afghanistan to destroy the terrorist training camps that the plotters had attended … and we've done that: there are no camps left in Afghanistan, and all of the terror plots now come out of Pakistan.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I think the talibans just found another revenue source!
[SARCASM ON]
Thank god the military contractors definitely want to end that war by doing that... [/SARCASM OFF]

This is sick.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
If you really understand what Afghanistan is about, thi isn't news.

The US had an arrangement with the Taliban just before 9/11. The Taliban was going to facilitate a new pipeline through the region, protecting rather than sabotaging it.

But they were still politically idealistic back then. Remember they were trying to stamp out the opium trade. Now they run it practically.

Anyway, they reneged on the deal. Bush & Co told them if they didn't comply, the US would invade. Bin Laden being holed up there gave an excuse to invade.

8 years later, the Taliban is being run ragged. The Saudis don't fund them like they used to, and times are tougher. Like any aging regime, greed has replaced idealism.

War costs a lot more these days. Not the big profit centre like it once was. So if you're going to spend something like $50 Billion fighting an enemy, why no just offer it to them instead, to capitulate.

Things will not be presented in those terms, of course. A lot of rhetoric will flow for both sides to save face. But it's like fixing a spoting event really.

We'll see what happens and what they say. But that's essentially the deal on the table.

My guess is the Taliban will take the US money and still carry on as usual. That's what's going on in next door Pakistan right now.

Mike

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
According to our newspapers and some friends of mine, we've been doing it for years now, mostly they exchange Kalashnikovas and RPGs and mortars for food and money, sometimes they get on the payroll...

Theres also the matter that when we kill civilians were paying the families tens of thousands of dollars to 'make it even', its part of their culture there to take money in exchange... I dunno why I added that I just think there's a lot of money thrown around...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

If it worked in Iraq it will probably work in Afghanistan! You have a problem with a program that protects villages and decreases terrorism Beefcake? Just wondering!

You act as though this tactic worked in Iraq and is sustainable when used. Let me remind you taht there was a suicide bombing in Iraq on Sunday that killed 155 people. Just because the media has all but ignored Iraq doesn't mean life is peachy there.

This tactic is failure personified it is sad and a kin to giving in to Blackmail. It never stops you never get to stop paying you keep paying and when the payments stop the violence starts again.

I love how the supporters of this rediculous wars can spin anything to make it sound like it is a good tactic. THE US IS PAYING THE ENEMY IN HOPES THAT THEY STOP KILLING THEM.

Wake up folks you can't spin this it is pathetic.

I am not in the military and unlike some on this site won't pretend i am but i do have a 2 cousins who joined and even they are not blind to what is going on. Although they signed up they did it for free education and a paycheck in this tough economy this is why most sign up it isn't to free the Afghanistan people or to stop Al CIAda my cousins know who starts wars they know it is a racket and i know that when they hear about this they will be disgusted.

Defending this type of tactic is deplorable and saying it is smart or successful is naive at best.

ABC-Bombings spark Baghdad's deadliest day.

I guess the terrorists didn't get the Coalition paycheck that day.

or for the most recent attack on Sunday i guess we have to pay them more.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Yep, poppy farmers and a pipeline. Too bad fard ayn allows muslims to kill anyone on their land that is western, that's the law, money won't change that.
If we have territory that puts Pakistan (100 nukes) between India and a stabilized area then it makes our continent safer. It is in our interest to help Afghanistan but it's a difficult proposition.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Now class, what is the definition of sectarian violence? Anybody?

any violent conflict between different sects of the same religion, especially between Catholic and Protestant Christians or between Shia and Sunni Muslims

sectarian violence. Lets just ignore that tiny little detail.

I dont know you tell me here are some of the latest headlines.

Militia leader among eight killed in Iraq bombing

Baquba, Iraq - At least eight people were killed and seven injured when a bomb exploded in a market in the mostly Sunni town of Buhriz on Tuesday evening, medics and witnesses told the German Press Agency dpa. Laith Mashan, the leader of the local Sahwa, or "Awakening," government-allied militia and two of his associates were killed in the blast, police told Baghdad's Aswat al-Iraq news agency.

Iraq bombings target reconciliation meeting, killing 26

The midday bombings targeted the Anbar provincial council's headquarters during a meeting between representatives of the Shiite Muslim-led government and local members of the Awakening movement, a Sunni Muslim group that turned against the insurgency in 2006.

Two car bombs exploded in rapid succession in a parking lot outside the government offices where the meeting was being held, then a suicide attacker detonated a third bomb outside the city's hospital as those injured in the first explosions were arriving.

Triple bombing kills scores in Iraq's Anbar Province

At least 25 people were killed and dozens wounded in a triple bombing in the western Iraqi city of Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, on Sunday. The bombings occurred during a reconciliation meeting, sparking fears of a resurgence of violence in an area that was the epicenter of the insurgency until local tribal leaders allied with the US to drive out insurgents in late 2007.

8 Iraqis killed in bombing/New report on Iraqi deaths

Three successive bomb explosions killed at least eight people and injured 42 in the northern Iraqi city of Karbala today. Two bombs exploded in main streets of the Shiite holy city, another one in a market area.

Suicide Bombing Kills Six In Iraq's Diyala Province

At least six people were killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile northeastern Iraqi province of Diyala on Tuesday, according to police officials and local media reports.

The casualties occurred when a suicide bomber detonated his explosive-packed vest inside a cafe in the town of Buhriz, located south of the provincial capital of Baquba. Ten others were injured in the explosion.

Iraq: Bomb attack kills two soldiers, injures four

Three civilians were killed and six others were injured when a roadside bomb apparently targeting a police patrol exploded in the neighbourhood of al-Thawra, west of the city of Mosul, some 400 kilometres north of Baghdad.

In the nearby district of al-Islah al-Zaraai, a family of six, including three small children, were injured when a bomb exploded in their neighbour's house, police said.

A group of gunmen on Monday fatally shot an Iraqi construction contractor outside Ramadi, police said. They declined to say whether the killing was an underworld crime or politically motivated.

And now back to your regularly scheduled bashing of the US.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I agree, this strategy is draining our economy and will have no good results.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beefcake
I am not in the military and unlike some on this site won't pretend i am but i do have a 2 cousins who joined and even they are not blind to what is going on.

My son just came back from serving 18 months in Iraq. Now I have two nephews in Afghanistan. I'll trust their views on the war and not the MSM or You.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

And now back to your regularly scheduled bashing of the US.

Cute.
You know that i don't fault the troops or the US every post i make i speak of a global elite of all nationalities that enable these conflicts to continue and want them too so the leaders of these countries and line their pockets. This includes muslim countries that sell out their own people on a regular basis. Not to mention in my post above i said the coalition.

You can't look at wars as linear events of us vs them it is never that simple. We have international banks that launder money for these terror groups and they use these funds to kill our troops and then we pay them to not attack us and we get our money from these same banks and then the banks get ineterst on this money they lend.

The elite are manipulating us and by wanting to stop the cycle to be the one country that says you know what we aren't going to play this game i am anything but unpatriotic i am patriotic. imo no one who supports these conflicts which we were lied into can even pretend to care about the troops.

My son just came back from serving 18 months in Iraq. Now I have two nephews in Afghanistan. I'll trust their views on the war and not the MSM or You.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly because the MSM is behind the wars 100% the networks are all run by the military industrial complex so you will never here the word peace and pull the troops out on mainstream news. Instead all they debate is how many more troops do we send 20k or 40k. How much more money do we spend 600billion or 800billion. They still don't show coffins and now that Obama is in even the left is cheering for war.

If we ended the occupations tomorrow your sons would be on cloud 9 and they would go out for drinks with men from their company and would be happy knowing that they were no longer in a desert fighting a war that is not designed to ever end.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

imo no one who supports these conflicts which we were lied into can even pretend to care about the troops.

Edit to ADD: Cute, edit your above post after I reply. PATHETIC

You're talking NWO conspiracies while people are dying in real life.

Some of us have family members in harms way for real. So forgive me for not taking too kindly to your self righteous pompous arrogant and ignorant assumption about us not really caring about the troops. This is not some head trip on some online Conspiracy site.

So please the next time before you open your big fat mouth to stick your foot into it remember some of us live in the real REAL world..

You mentioned your cousins serving. Well the next time you see them thank them for me for their service. As for you, well....

You have my sympathy.
You were probably born that way.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

imo no one who supports these conflicts which we were lied into can even pretend to care about the troops.

You're talking NWO conspiracies while people are dying in real life.

Some of us have family members in harms way for real. Not some headtrip in some online Conspiracy site. So please the next time you open your big fat mouth to stick your foot into it remember some of us live in the REAL real world..

You mentioned your cousins serving. Well the next time you see them thank them for me for their service. As for you, well....

You have my sympathy.
You were probably born that way.

This will be my last response to you because you are upset and this happens when a paradigm of understanding is challenged. You believe in a false reality and i am telling you things that you know are true and it is very painful to wake up to the fact that there is a NWO.

They aren't reptillians or greys or shapeshifters but they are men and women that have control over everything of significance that happens in the world and they are responsible for more death than you could possibly fathom. They are eugenicist and is is a philosophy that normal people don't think of but it governs everything they do.

People are dieing and the only way to stop it is to forget these little games of paying the Taliban and pretending to care about Afghanistan womens rights or trying to prevent 9/11 which even if you don't think it was an inside job 80% of Americans at least believe there should be another investigation.

This war is to occupy, purge and plunder. It is difficult to accept the truth at first but once you do it is like a veil has been lifted and you finally understand the madness in the world.

I hope your sons are safe.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Don't try to explain yourself to slayer. He is as brainwashed as it gets, and he will never change unless the person that he loves who serves in the military ends up dead, and then he sees what everyone is saying.

"There's NO heroes in war, only body bags."

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

This will be my last response to you because you are upset and this happens when a paradigm of understanding is challenged. You believe in a false reality and i am telling you things that you know are true and it is very painful to wake up to the fact that there is a NWO.

Oh please get over yourself.
This isn't the world according to your fantasies.

Yeah...

You have all the answers. That's why you come here to share your little jewels of wisdom.

So tell me professor who was responsible 9/11.
(missles, CIA, Bilderberg, NWO, Dick Cheney...)

No plane, its a hologram. No its a missile. No its a laser beam. No its a bomb. No wait its thermite or maybe termites.

Now, where did I put my my tin foil hat? Oh yeah - its in my underground bunker.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What makes you think the Taliban are not going to take the money and use it to kill more soldiers?

This is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You fund the terrorists and they kill your troops. It's called Religion.

Religion & Money run this world.

Islamic extremists are not going to settle for just some money.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

in the long time passed times of the Polish Kingdom glory there was the Kazak Wars- normally they served in our polish army in the many wars: against the Otoman Turcs and Tatars mostly. Against Moscow, and often againsst their wild kinfolks. It was workin to some extend but when they wanted some privileges or simpy out of money they rebelled...and that was one of the main reason of the downfall of the polish Glory (maybe second to our innate love of the anrchy; )...Dont forget - they were Christians anyway...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

This war is to occupy, purge and plunder. It is difficult to accept the truth at first but once you do it is like a veil has been lifted and you finally understand the madness in the world.

No, this war isn't to occupy, purge, and plunder. Please do some research before you make uneducated statements.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join