It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Taking Genesis so Literally!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I've met a lot of people who take the book of Genesis literally and deny things like evolution. If you look at Genesis from a metaphorical point of view the creation story could fit in surprisingly well with science. I will post my personal beliefs of what the creation story is describing below.

Continued below

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
God created the heavens and the earth in seven days=God caused the big bang to happen and seven days is a metaphor for billions of years.

God created Adam from the earth=God caused man to evolve from primate

Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree of the knoledge of good and evil, as a result were kicked out of Eden=I'm going to reverse this, after evolving in Africa (Eden) man migrated to the Middle East and beyond, thus gaining the knowledge of good and evil

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

What about the part in Genesis where it says God created the Earth before the Sun. How could that be possible with what we know about how Solar Systems formed?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

What do you mean by Genesis? Genesis chapter 1 tells a wholly different tale than Genesis 2. In one we find creation similar to evolution, first fish, than land-animals, then all humans (male and female). In chapter two God first creates Adam, then the animals, and then only Eve from his rib. So the Bible starts with a major contradiction!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I thught you wanted to be a priest,but you don't believe the Bible? I don't think they would care you are gay nearly as much as they would care that you don't believe the Bible. Not trying to insult, just to bring up the irony of someone who doesn't believe the bible wanting to be a priest.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm going to agree with the op in saying that genisis follows evolutionary theory in the order of creation.

Btw genesis 1:1 said heavens and earth. Pretty sure the sun is located in the heavens. During the initial formation of the earth there wouldn't have been much light seeing as the sun was still forming. Not to mention with all the debris around the forming earth there would have been little light penetration. However, the fact remains that rocks where forming a ball which we later named "Earth".

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
When one is reading the Bible one cannot interpret it with the aid of extra-biblical sources. What I mean is that when Genesis sates that God created Adam as a fully formed adult (specifically a Homo sapien), then that is exactly what God did. Adam did not evolve from some hominid ancestor millions of years ago, he was created in the same physical and mental state as you and I are today.

Now, if you want to argue anything in my statement, then it can only be argued that today's humans have adapted to our more modern environment. Therefore we may have some extra gene mutations that Adam did not have. Natural Selection makes perfect sense and is compatible with the Bible. Species must change and adapt or die. Microevolution is true. Millions of years is not.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by one_enlightened_mind]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by one_enlightened_mind

What are the extra-biblical sources you speak of? Are they sources that existed thousands of years ago that the first people to hear the bible would be familiar with? Or do these sources originate several centuries later in Europe or the USA.

Archaeology suggests that many of the Bible's stories, especially the ones that appear in the early parts of Genesis, were borrowed from legends that existed in the Ancient Near East. Characters like Noah, Adam, and Eve appear in Messopotamian legends.

This is not to say that the authors of the Bible were somehow dishonest or plagiarists. The original audience of the Bible was aware of the older legends. To them, Genesis (or early version(s) of Genesis) were not the first time they heard of Noah or Adam and Eve.

Genesis was nevertheless novel to these original audiences because it put a new spin on what were very old stories. No longer was the creation of the world, as was understood at that time, governed by multiple gods, but rather only one God created the world. No longer was the world governed by gods who allowed anybody to do as they pleased and who themselves were morally suspect, but the world was now governed by a single god who demanded moral behavior.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
God created the heavens and the earth in seven days=God caused the big bang to happen and seven days is a metaphor for billions of years.

Adam and Eve ate the fruit from the tree of the knoledge of good and evil, as a result were kicked out of Eden=I'm going to reverse this, after evolving in Africa (Eden) man migrated to the Middle East and beyond, thus gaining the knowledge of good and evil

A flaw in your post seeeeeee cause ADAM AND EVE KNEW THEY WHERE NAKED BEFORE THEY GOT KICKED OUT OF EDEN. Thus showing they where both knowledged before exiting the eternal EDEN, friend.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Religion - God created everything and anything
Science - Energy created everything and anything.

Science and religion went hand in hand way back when. Then it all went array like Israel and Palestine.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The sun does not make night and day.

The rotation of the earth on its axis creates night and day.

You can create "light" without creating "night and day".

First God made heaven & earth 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters. 3 And God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Its important to not lose scientific reasoning when reading the Bible.

There is no room for a "gap theory" in which God took 7 million years to create the earth.

It says god seperated the light from the darkness and called them night and day. That's a 24 hour period.

Science and religion went hand in hand way back when. Then it all went array like Israel and Palestine.

This is the part that boggles me about atheist scientist.

They believe intelligent life came about on our planet because of chance. The circumstances and sequences of events involving earth where just right to harbor the formation of the first living organisms and then evolution led to more advanced organisms.

Which means they have to believe its possible for life to have formed in other places of the universe. Which means as an atheist you have to believe in the potential for "aliens".

If you have to believe in the potential for aliens you have to believe in the potential for alien life forms that are far older, more advanced or even powerful than the human race. What kind of arrogance would lead to someone thinking that just because they are human means humans are the most advanced beings in the universe?

If you believe in the potential of more advanced and/or more powerful beings in our universe then you believe in the potential for a creator and a "God" type being.

Because what is a "god" if not a super advanced alien life form?

The problem with most atheist scientist is that they cannot seperate Hollywood and fairytales from scientific logic.

They believe if its been made into a Hollywood movie or been handed down from generation to generation as "folklore" then its "fantasy" and thus cannot be a approached from a scientific point of few.

This lack of an ability to let go of this predetermined bias as to what is "scientific" and what is not is the very root of the conflict between "religion" and science.

[edit on 30-10-2009 by gaiscíoch]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by one_enlightened_mind

hmmmm I do like what you said....

Species must change and adapt or die

I guess we haven't adapted yet ????

I must bring this to peoples attention, especially those who have read the bible...

But what about Man???

Acording to the bible.....

That was said to be, that MAN was Created in the Image of God ???

Not A'Dam....

It is Not written anywhwere that "A'Dam" was Created in the Image of God.

It is only an asumption by the one reading the bible..

I repeat: It says that "MAN" was Created in the Image of God.

It doesn't say A'Dam was Created in the Image of God....

You talk only of the Dead.

A'Dam and his descendants and Not the Living one called MAN !

It is written in The Gospel of Thomas.

Quote;

Jesus said,

“Whoever has come
to understand
the World,
has found only
a corpse,
and whoever
has found
a corpse,
is superior
to the World.”

The Descendants of A'Dam have coveted the title of MAN!

A'Dam is the human Species or Primate, but MAN is the title given to the Soul and Not A'Dam.

It is written in The Gospel of Thomas (as I have said before)...
Quote;

Jesus said,

“The Pharisees
and the Scribes
have taken
The Keys of Knowledge
and Hidden Them.

They themselves
have NOT entered,
nor have they allowed
to enter
those who wish to.

You, however,
be as wise
as serpents
and as innocent
as doves.”

I guess the keys were taken by the Scribes and the religious leaders ???

And if we look at Genesis we find just such a happening, where all assume A'Dam is "MAN" because of what we are taught by the clergy.

But the One, they refer to as The saviour, is the "Son of MAN" and Not the "Son of A'Dam" or that mater any descendant of A'Dam.

It is Written in The Gospel According to John, Ch. 3 V. 13...

Quote;

"No one
hath ascended
into heaven,
save He
that came down
from Heaven,
that is,
the Son of Man
who is in Heaven
"

So this is where it tells You that MAN is in Heaven and Not on Earth as the Descendants of A'Dam are.

Man can Not ascend into Heaven because he is already in Heaven, but the Descendants of A'Dam or human species primates or whatever, walk on the Earth and can't ascend!

[edit on 31-10-2009 by The Matrix Traveller]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

"god" created son/Man with the help of the "holy spirit (woman)"

adam and eve didnt know how to make babies before they "ate" from the tree , after that they knew which part goes in to what correct part for makin babies.

leaving eden is a metaphor for growing up and becoming in tune with a "grown up reality".

and yes adam and eve are related throu blood.

point is you have to READ between the lines and UNDERSTAND the context.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SamsBoni
reply to post by halfoldman

I thught you wanted to be a priest,but you don't believe the Bible? I don't think they would care you are gay nearly as much as they would care that you don't believe the Bible. Not trying to insult, just to bring up the irony of someone who doesn't believe the bible wanting to be a priest.

I am simply raising questions, and I have heard personally about people who wrote on Genesis 1/2 in seminary training. I am here to ask questions and hear various opinions. I pointed out an obvious problem in the Bible: what is your explanation?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Neither Genesis or Evolution is right.
Humans were bio-engineered by aliens trillions years ago and did not "evolve" over time.
Current Earth humans were brainwashed into believing "Creationism" or "Evolution" by the Old Empire which covertly keeps humans on prison planet Earth. Each current human is considered "Untouchable" by the Old Empire and was taken from their home planet and was dumped on Earth as a prison planet.

[edit on 2-11-2009 by sphinx551]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Neither Genesis or Evolution is right.
Humans were bio-engineered by aliens trillions years ago and did not "evolve" over time.
Current Earth humans were brainwashed into believing "Creationism" or "Evolution" by the Old Empire which covertly keeps humans on prison planet Earth. Each current human is considered "Untouchable" by the Old Empire and was taken from their home planet and was dumped on Earth as a prison planet.

...evidence please!

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I wouldn't even call Genesis a metaphor. I think it was a simplistic way to understand where man came from, given that people had no knowledge of science at the time it was written...unfortunately, it is taken literally by many...and still believed by even more.

It's an ancient text that should have been left in the ancient dust.

IMO

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
To the thread topic:
Anyone not absolutely ignorant or brainwashed by some fundamentalist propaganda must see that literal interpretation is just not compatible with the current knowledge. The only way for Genesis to not contradict the evidence is alegorical interpretation - Theistic evolution.

Jesus himself often spoke in metaphors and fictional stories.

Also, one of the ten commandments is you shall have no gods before me. I think some of our fundies have made holy bible their god.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Stop taking it so lightly!!!!!!

Then maybe we will meet in the middle somewhere...

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There's some traditions that for instance, say that the entire story of Exodus happens along a person's spiritual progression. So the story isn't just history, but a story of an individuals inner work. But how many atheists want to think on that deep of a level, no they'd rather view it literally and bash it because of their own myopathy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join