It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do people need some sort of faith or belief system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This was inspired from discussion in another thread, but I found it to be a good question. And post it here as a separate topic.

Is there something about the human condition that would require us to have something (esoteric or just something unprovable) to give us as individuals some sort of focus? Be it an organized tradition religion or aliens, or concept like unconditional love or a scientific theory. Is there something that we have a need to believe in that has to be taken on faith that the perception is correct?

Many civilizations the world over have had their sky gods, water gods, tree spirits and such. And cultures did often clash over the different concepts. Just in the confines of the Bible there are many sects that practiced many different religious. The Romans and their Pantheon of Gods that we consider mythology today was very real to them. The Ancient Egyptians and their Gods. The Hebrews, the foundations of Christianity, etc.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Because God created us I think it is natural that we have a pull toward Him. Some people just haven't got it right and they still haven't found the peace that comes once you've found Truth. You definitely know when you have found the one and only true God...been on both sides of the fence:>)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Belief is irrelevant - it is smart to only believe what you experience.
That is a paraphrase of what Buddha said.
He said to test out what he says as if you are testing gold.
When I was given Buddhist practices I followed them and voila
everything Buddha was saying was 100 per cent true.

Most people are not smart enough to experience an enlightened state then
gain confidence in that enlightened state through practice. Due to western
conditioning people think they can analyze their way into mystical states when
the truth is non-dual mystical, enlightened consciousness is beyond concepts.
Just as everything wonderful in life is beyond concepts-playing music, dancing
spontaneous laughter, orgasms-the list goes on. That is why Tantra and the bliss
of enlightenment is often compared to orgasmic sex in the west. Actually the bliss
lasts trillions of times longer if you learn how to cultivate it.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Most people, yes. But not all.

I think that a belief in a God that has his/her eye on everything you do is what keeps some people on the straight and narrow. For the most part. I think a belief system is also used to justify actions that would otherwise seem atrocious had it not been for the fact that those actions were "necessary" in order to eradicate evil (i.e. witch burnings, Dr. Tiller's murder).

This makes me think of those that might say something to the effect of, "well, I'd tell you what I think, but I'm Christian so I won't".

top topics

join