It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars weird picture latest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2359e139b490.jpg[/atsimg]

(Image: NASA/HiRISE/MRO/LPL/University of Arizona)

NEW SCIENTIST LINK

27 October 2009

This may look like an elaborate tattoo, but it is actually a Martian windstorm.

The storm was snapped using the high resolution imaging science experiment (HiRISE) camera on board NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, originally sent to assist with the identification of candidate landing sites.

The photo shows twisting dark trails criss-crossing with lighter coloured terrains that cover the surface of Mars. The dark trails are the result of miniature whirlwinds known as dust devils: spinning columns of warm air that rise and become visible as they pick up the loose red dust, leaving the heavier and darker-coloured sand visible beneath.

ok fair enough these weird organic like trails are dust devils ?

then what is that bright blue glass like structure with the diagonal verticle lines?

are these the tunnels seen in earlier pictures? , natural or otherwise? if so what a nice color blue .. hmmm blue.........

or is it a scratch on the lense? .

what do you make of these spiral patterns? AND what you all think the anomaly bottom of the picture is? awfuly shiny and colorful imho

[edit on 27/10/09 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

I think the haze is clouds and atmosphere. I am in no position to say that for sure, but that's just what it looks like to me. NIce pics!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
S+F Good Thread , there is so much that we are about to find out about the moon and mars.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
though I haven't the slightest idea what the "blue structure" is, ill admit that the photo is pretty neat.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Beautiful!
It helps to understand what we're looking at by viewing the whole image:

The curve running from the top left to lower right of the image is the peak of a sand dune. The straight streaks are caused by sand sliding down the face of the dune. The colors are not true colors. The image was made by combining images made through three filters; near-infrared, red, and blue-green.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thanks phage!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

awesome.

so many curls and trails , wonder what time period this is taken over?

seems like a serious dust devil problem to me

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

During the dust-devil season it's not unusual to see two or three dust-devils in a photo from one of the Mars rovers, so they are really common on some areas during some seasons.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
In the photo cropped in the Op you can clearly see the UPC barcode....

It is the giant "final plunge" portion of the Graviteras Marianas Ride that the Disney Theme park (WED Corp) is planning soon....on Mars!

Tickets on pre-sale now!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
That looks like a tattoo on someone's back.

top topics

join