It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice wanted: Can a celibate gay man become a priest?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Why do you say this? It was a serious question for me. I have other interests and so forth, but I'm definately considering the move. Forgiveness if somebody upset you, it certainly wasn't my intention. God bless.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
If you are serious about seeking a spiritual livelihood and your chosen path may be blocked by ideological differences, why don't you learn more about the Unitarian Universal Church.

I think you would be spiritually happy with the congregational brotherhood.

And no, I don't belong to it.

Unitarian Universalists place emphasis on spiritual growth and development. Unitarian Universalism is a creedless religion. The Unitarian Universalist Association affirms seven principles:

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person;

* Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;

* Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

* A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;

* The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;

* The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;

* Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Very well said.

It is interesting how full of vitriolic hatred are those who claim to be against corruption and what-not (apparently perpetrated by the Catholic church and no other human institution...), the alleged close-mindedness (that one is especially rich, reading these posts above
) and other such relentless stereotyping... Couple that with basic ignorance - I mean, lack of education - and you got... well, threads like this one (and many much worse).

Personally, I don't think (not anymore) that people who are unable -and unwilling - to see the world beyond their stereotypes are really worth the time and the trouble of a serious conversation. Not in my experience, anyway.

As they say: nobody is as blind as the one who does not want to see; and nobody is as deaf as the one who does not want to hear.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I believe it is impossible to reconcile homosexuality within the confines of Catholic dogma.

Your celibacy is intended as a willing sacrifice. The sacrifice loses meaning if what you offer for sacrifice is - dogmatically speaking, sin.

I wouldn't discourage you from approaching any church where you might find purpose and meaning; but I am offended at the brash ignorance of those who refuse to accept that a human can actually be a priest and be a good man.
Or that an institution, plagued and beset by all forms of intrigue, can still be the host for many very good people - instead gleefully revels in painting all with the same jaded brush.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Well, I've received some personal mail that I find surprisingly anti-Catholic (I was expecting more homophobic stuff). It seems that to some denominations Catholicism is a greater sin.
When I listen to Enio Morricone's beautiful sountrack to "The Mission", I cry for the colonized, but yet, no matter how dark that chapter is, the native gene-pool survives in Latin America, and in Protestant North America it was almost wiped out.
Perhaps that's a bad example, but I love the holy solitute, the music and beauty.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Well, in addition to what I've stated already, I'd like to add:

Some of the comments said that homosexuality is a sin. In Catholicism, homosexuality is not a sin unless you . . . do the sexual acts. But any sexual act outside marriage is a sin, gay or straight. When you become a priest you are marrying the Catholic Church, and therefore cannot (or should not) have sex ever again.

These are the facts, along with my previous comment.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

That is understood, and traditionally that split between ie. practising vs. celibate has been with the church. However, some astonishing new anouncements now supercede this.
I understand the difficulty, because simply admitting being gay is nowadays a political act.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
[
That is understood, and traditionally that split between ie. practising vs. celibate has been with the church. However, some astonishing new anouncements now supercede this.
I understand the difficulty, because simply admitting being gay is nowadays a political act.

But they are not going to ask you, so why should you volunteer this information if, as you say, you are going to be celibate anyway?

I am not advocating deception. But would not telling (if not asked) really be a deception? I think not.
And seeing that you are going to be celibate, it doesn't matter anyway.
That's between God and you, as they say.
(And God is much more forgiving than people, they say.
)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I am a Catholic but I am by no means an authority on the subject. This is absolutely something that you should explore with your local Diocese.

I BELIEVE that you should have no problems. The sin is in the act, not the inclination.

My greater concern lies with your interest in becoming a Catholic and a Priest in order to find a path to God that is acceptable to your society. I believe that with prayer and the guidance of the Holy Spirit you will find Catholicism to be the true repository of faith and that should be the reason that you wish to become a Catholic and a Priest.

Society is malleable and shallow. God is forever.

Eric

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You can but maybe not as a Catholic priest, their are definately christian denominations that allow it though.

Your HIV may be a bigger issue in truth than you being gay.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
Well, in addition to what I've stated already, I'd like to add:

Some of the comments said that homosexuality is a sin. In Catholicism, homosexuality is not a sin unless you . . . do the sexual acts. But any sexual act outside marriage is a sin, gay or straight. When you become a priest you are marrying the Catholic Church, and therefore cannot (or should not) have sex ever again.

These are the facts, along with my previous comment.

I think I remember in church they said that to lust for someone in your mind was the same as being with them. It was a methodist church I think. So Catholicism doesn't have that part, or was that preacher at my church taking liberties with words?

I'm not very religious anymore, if I ever was, but I was interested in the difference.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

i remember in catholic school being told that...then later on being told that lust is a much more specific thing.

it is basic human nature to want the sex you are attracted to...lust involves something to do with obsession. it's one of those fine lines that religions are full of.

and how many of us have flippant thoughts throughout the day that, if we acted, they would be sin? i just think that's more of an old school way of thinking...but again, have no official word on it.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Yes, to lust is a sin, but not a great big huge (mortal/deadly) sin. . . The problem is, if you continuously lust, you will eventually want to act on those desires, so it's best not to lust at all.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bettermakings

Originally posted by bettermakings
Yes, to lust is a sin, but not a great big huge (mortal/deadly) sin.

Says who, you?

Well, I am not catholic nor a big fan of any religion at all, but it seems that the famous Seven Deadly Sins includes lust, at least according to the Wikipedia.

I merely posted that in order to set opinions straight.

-v

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I think that in Catholic priests, there are many gays. If you would want it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able, but -- why would you want to become a priest in first place? Wouldn't just joining the Catholic congregation be sufficient?

I am just curious.

-v

[edit on 2-11-2009 by v01i0]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join