It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Lieberman: I'll block vote on Harry Reid's plan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
www.politico.com...

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) said Tuesday that he’d back a GOP filibuster of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s health care reform bill.

Lieberman, who caucuses with Democrats and is positioning himself as a fiscal hawk on the issue, said he opposes any health care bill that includes a government-run insurance program — even if it includes a provision allowing states to opt out of the program, as Reid has said the Senate bill will.

"We're trying to do too much at once," Lieberman said. “To put this government-created insurance company on top of everything else is just asking for trouble for the taxpayers, for the premium payers and for the national debt. I don’t think we need it now."

Lieberman added that he’d vote against a public option plan “even with an opt-out because it still creates a whole new government entitlement program for which taxpayers will be on the line."

His comments confirmed that Reid is short of the 60 votes needed to advance the bill out of the Senate, even after Reid included the opt-out provision. Several other moderate Democrats expressed skepticism at the proposal as well, but most of the wavering Democratic senators did not go as far as Lieberman Tuesday, saying they were waiting to see the details.

Lieberman did say he's "strongly inclined" to vote to proceed to the debate, but that he’ll ultimately vote to block a floor vote on the bill if it isn’t changed first.

"I've told Sen. Reid that if the bill stays as it is now I will vote against cloture,” he said.

“I can’t see a way in which I could vote for cloture on any bill that contained a creation of a government-operated-run insurance company,” Lieberman added. “It’s just asking for trouble – in the end, the taxpayers are going to pay and probably all people will have health insurance are going to see their premiums go up because there’s going to be cost shifting as there has been for Medicare and Medicaid.”

Lieberman said he “very much” wants to vote for health care reform but that he’s worried about stifling “the economic recovery we’re in” or adding to the federal debt.

“I feel this way about a national, government-created health insurance company – whether it’s a trigger or not,” he said. “My answer is – we’re – we have the opportunity to do some great reforms here. These exchanges that we’re talking about, I think, are going to drive competition and probably bring the cost of health insurance down or at least contain the cost increases for a lot of people. Let’s give that two or three years to see how it works to see how it works before we talk about creating another entitlement that will end up increasing the national debt and putting more of a burden on taxpayers.”

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This shows that there is at least one Democrat who is still watching out for the horrendous deficit that the current Administration is creating.
Joe Lieberman is a man of honor, and IMHO is putting the country first, ahead of his party.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Occur they oppose to a Public option because that means taking away from the hand that feeds their drity pockets, the big insurance companies.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Actually, Marg, if you read the entire article, you'll see that Joe is against the CURRENT public option because it would cost the taxpayers billions of dollars. He wants a health care plan that is deficit neutral.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
yay,

someone is addressing the Senate health-care bill which includes a 'Public Option which has a lifetime until 2014...IF the present bill passes !!

here's my take on the strategies of the proposed Senate bill:

On Monday....at 3:30 PM Eastern time in USA, the CNBC 'Market Watch ' channel broadcast a 'face-time'- press release by Senator Reid..

.he said the the 50 US States have the opportunity to OPT OUT of the Senate Health Care 'Public Option' of the new improved & latest & final, Senate Bill ...that was just passed today the 26th of Oct!

know what this means... by telling the individual States they can OPT-OUT of the Public-Option...

that action makes it impossible for the sale of individual Health Insurance Policies across State lines.

The decision is cleverly disguised as 'freedom'-of-choice for the population...but in fact limits the options the American public has at their disposal regarding health insurance policies...

so, if you thought you could purchase a health policy from Michigan for example, because the firm offered a less expensive package than your own state's insurance firms...
you & I are out-of-luck for a number of reasons stemming from the States option-of-uncertainty in OPTing OUT of the PUBLIC OPTION provided by the federal government/congress

~~~~~~~`this action will result in the medical field Lobbists & their interaction with the Lawmakers are thrown into a really, really wild affair until 2014! & means all the various medical insurance providers are being givren 'protected territories' & boththe insurers and the Lobbists will make out like bandits between 2010-2014, at which time they will have 'circled-their-wagons' and have begun their own attack on the peoples pocketbooks/wallets ... If the 'Books close' on the public option bet..

thanks for the Platform to air out my opinion!

[edit on 27-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Thanks for posting this. A S &F.

Thank God for Joe. We need more blue-dog/conservative democrats to stand in the way of this public option. The public option will do 2 things.

1. Lead to single payer
2. Bankrupt the nation

Plus the latest statistics show that the health insurance industry as a whole only makes 2.5% profit a year. That is tiny compared to the waste that wil be created by it being run amidst a government bueracracy.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
No, Joe is taking care of his big health provider buddies, the same as any of these guys that oppose public health coverage. That's the only reason, big health care doesn't want to lose their billions in profits by having to compete with a health care provider that isn't in it for big bucks. They are scared to death.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Sorry but I can not wipe away the fact that is the big insurance companies in close doors with our for the people government right now, dictating the penalties and fees to be tagged on us for mandatory insurances and them the only providers.

See it doesn't sound that good at all.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Joe Leiberman will save us!! Finally...a man I can trust in government!

/sarcasm off.

Leiberman is a Neo-con...more of a "Bill Clintonesque" neo con though.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Their is more FUD in this thread than on Fox Noise.

If the Insurance lobby were to tell you all that Rice Crispies cause cancer you would be cursing Snap Crackle and Pop on this BB.

I just called Joe's office and his staff member told me he will not get in the way of a filibuster and will allow this to go to the house floor.

Moreover if single payer is such a bankrupt system than why does every single western nation have it, yet they are not bankrupt, hmmmmmmmmm. In fact they pay much less for care than we do and holy smokes they are much healthier. Go figure.

Also if Socialized medicine is good for Israeli citizens than Joe can at least vote to give us an OPTION to choose a government run health care insurance company. You know one that only need 2 cents for every dollar to run instead of Cigna, Humana and co. which needs 30 cents on every dollar.

If you can afford to bomb the living day lights out of Iraq you can sure as hell run a single payer system in this country. That is of course if you shut off the right wing boob tube.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

You see that is the problem, people has been geared to believe that is all about the socialized propaganda, meanwhile we are been leached by private warmongers and war profiteers to waste trillions of dollars bankrupting the nation on wars, but that is OK, because is no socialized health care is capitalism.

Sometimes I wonder about some peoples mentality when it comes to the priorities of the citizens of this nation.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
Their is more FUD in this thread than on Fox Noise.

You mean as opposed to the "FUD" on:

CNN = Communist News Channel
ABC = Another Barack Channel
CBS = Communists Broadcasting S**t
MSNBC = Microsoft's Stupid National Barack Channel

Back to the OP. Sounds like Joe is actually listening to his constituents ...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

The only people that Lieberman is listening is the ones that fill his pockets with campaign money, the man can not even make his mind on which side works best for him when it comes to political parties.

Another flip flocker.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

The only people that Lieberman is listening is the ones that fill his pockets with campaign money, the man can not even make his mind on which side works best for him when it comes to political parties.

Lol...yep. If you give him the most money he'll side with you. Lieberman needs to be out of politics....period. He's a perfect example of the problem! It's no longer about principles for either party...it's about money and power. That's it.

Did Lieberman vote for NAFTA?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
Moreover if single payer is such a bankrupt system than why does every single western nation have it, yet they are not bankrupt, hmmmmmmmmm.

Really? Are you talking real bankrupt or bankrupt when govt declares it? Like how govt keeps telling us SS will be bankrupt soon and in reality it's been bankrupt for 30 years or so now? Like how the governors of states like CT keep exclaiming "surplus" when their respective states have late bills due for a decade that can't be paid?

Germany and the UK and Canada are always playing little adjustment games to keep their systems afloat. In case you haven't been paying attention virtually all of the Western world is bankrupt. Just floating on debt and promises. When a country starts to freak out about fatties or "bankrupting" the system you know true bankruptcy has already happened.
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...

Actually having wealth and the ability to pay the bills doesnt seem to matter to any of these nations anyway so why would it matter to you. Everything's fine. We're all rich. everything should be "free." No problem at all.

Way too many folks are running around with some seriously thick blinders on. Thick blinders, a lack of hindsight and complete inability to see past next Tuesday are hurting all of us. If I had my way I would be able to opt the hell out and the rest of the world can destroy itself without me.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Replying to myself...

Yes...Leiberman did vote for Nafta...along with his buddy Newt Gingrich!!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
This shows that there is at least one Democrat who is still watching out for the horrendous deficit that the current Administration is creating.
Joe Lieberman is a man of honor, and IMHO is putting the country first, ahead of his party.

he is not a democrat, he's an independent. and he is not a man of honor, because when he realized he was beaten in the democratic primary, he switched to be an independent so he could get elected.

the democrats do not have a 60 member majority in the senate and never have. but the media keeps reporting it as such.

if he was putting the country first, he would be voting with the 73% of people that want healthcare fixed.

at the most, lieberman is a liberal republican.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Since someone mentioned Isreal and Iraq, who do you think pays for their health care? You got it, the US taxpayer. When will you people wake up. We give more money to other countries, each year, than you can imagine. I for one, have had it, and so have many others.

Someone out their is going to have to pick up my slack, because as of 2 years ago, I quit paying. Frack em, we have no choice where our tax dollars go, so why are you even paying anymore. Hey government, KMA. I would like you people to actually look at what these corrupt ********************** are doing. Everything is about collecting more money from us.

Revolution is right around the corner. Keep cheering on this outrageous behavior. Keep lying about how everything is a crisis and you are going to solve it. KEEP IT UP.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

No actually Joe is a old style democrat. More of the forget the crap w/the rest of the world and lets focus on the at home. He is one of the few who doesn't follow the party line, especially since that line has little to do with what the party once stood for.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Occur he is also a cosponsor of globalization, the same globalization that help leach jobs oversea and never will be back to the America, how about that for the unemployment numbers.

Yeah, even his name tells the story, LIE,berman

[edit on 27-10-2009 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join