It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Lebanon-based militants fires rocket into Israel

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Not to nay say on the dooms day or anything, but isnt this just lather rinse repeat as necessary?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'd say Israel agents fired 1 missile to use as excuse for retaliation.

if i was lebanon or hezbolla, id fire atleast 5000 missiles if i was going to fire any in the first place.

#ING ISRAEL, I HATE #ING ISRAEL AND THE ROTTEN ZIONISTS.

[edit on 10/27/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
I'd say Israel agents fired 1 missile to use as excuse for retaliation.

if i was lebanon or hezbolla, id fire atleast 5000 missiles if i was going to fire any in the first place.

****** ISRAEL, I HATE ******* ISRAEL AND THE ROTTEN ZIONISTS.

You'd say that without any evidence whatsoever? Then you post in caps how much you hate Israel?

How about you look at the event objectively, seek evidence for possibilities, and then create an opinion based on facts rather than emotion. Is that so hard to do?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

#ING ISRAEL, I HATE #ING ISRAEL AND THE ROTTEN ZIONISTS.

Im not sure if you have a rational argument nor would I want to hear it since that statement you put. Your point was fine and could be valid, but then you ruin it by spouting off what you said.

This is the normal tit-for-tat stuff we constantly hear going on in Israel and that area. What a crappy way to live I tell ya.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by ownbestenemy]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

A rocket is not a "missile." Random dudes with rockets are not "Lebanon"

Might want to change the title, because there's a difference between a trio of Hezbollah yard apes putting on a fireworks show, and Lebanon launching a military strike.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I feel like after reading as much as I could about this, that Hezbollah or whatever militant group is simply testing Israel. Whether it was under directorate of Lebanon officials or not, it seems like they're gauging the reaction of the Israelis.

Pushing buttons in that area of the world is NOT a good idea by any party though. Imagine that had killed any amount of Israelis, where would we be right now? I think at this point we have all come to the conclusion that anything less than a full out war will not resolve these groups issues.

I hate to be a doomer and all, but nothing is keeping the peace in the middle east.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
This morning...

11:59 Barak: I hope Israel can maintain quiet along northern border (Haaretz)

Then a few hours later...

20:07 IDF fires artillery round at south Lebanon village in response to rocket (Haaretz)
20:17 IDF spokesman: Israel holds Lebanon responsible for Katyusha strike (Haaretz)

This seems suspicious...

those people love, just love to kill each other...why else would they keep doing it for hundreds of years...because they LOVE IT!!
they love the revenge, they love the poverty, they love the blood letting, they love the hatred, they love the martyrdom.
it's their way of life...my god's better, no, my gods better... i will kill you, no, i will kill you...same sh*t year after year, decade after decade, century after century...THEY LOVE IT!!

[edit on 27-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2112
I think I've heard this tune before... let's see if I can remember the lyrics; a rocket is fired into northern Israel from Lebanon, either by Lebanese Palestinian sympathizers or Hamas, Israel relaliates with mortar and artillery strikes, leveling a couple of buildings, 50 more rockets are launched into northern Israel from Lebanon, the IDF mobilizes armored support for its troops and air strikes are called in, the U.N. starts crying foul, a fragile cease-fire is signed, and six to nine months of a teetering silence while U.N. diplomats talk middle-east peace talks before the song starts all over again, right? Don't think it's the end of the world, it's just another sad example of people who love hearing the same song over and over again.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Legion2112]

Don't forget the hundreds of millions of aid that gets divied up by the two sides. The Hegelian dialectic pays rather handsomely. Just ask the illuminati.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by PenandSword]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

If by "hundreds of years" you mean "six decades" then, hey, sure. Propaganda oftne lies - this isn't an ancient conflict, it's actually pretty damn new, from a historical perspective.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Normally I would agree with everyone here in that it is more of the same. However I have to take into account the wild card here and that is the fact that the Israeli police have stormed the temple mount. I feel like this is the single most profound event since the creation of the state. Jews haven't been aloud on the temple mount in a long time and now they're tear gassing and pushing muslims back into the mosque! As far as biblical importance goes....this is a blockbuster. What does it have to do with this thread?....Just that I imagine militant muslims must be extremely pissed right now, and this could definitely escalate. IDK, but I will definitely not be writing it off.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dangerish

There were Jews on Temple mount before. Scores of them. Israeli police was dispersing violent protesters in Temple Mount area before. Lots of times. Nothing new.
Check out what happened in 2000, after Sharon's visit to the area. What happens lately is peanuts.
There are people who want to ignite another intifada and so far they failed. But it is not Hizbollah.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Lebanon-based militants launch rocket into northern Israel, no injuries reported

By: Hussein Dakroub, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

BEIRUT - Lebanon-based militants launched a rocket into northern Israel on Tuesday evening, drawing a rapid response from Israeli artillery in a brief flare-up across the tense border that caused no causlties.

Lebanon's official news agency said unknown elements unleashed a Katyusha rocket from a valley between the Lebanese border villages of Houla and Mais al-Jabal.

About 45 minutes later, Israeli artillery shelled the area from which the rocket was fired, the agency said.

A Lebanese military official said nine shells fell on the area and Israeli helicopters and drones flew over the area.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government regulations. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the rocket launch.

Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld confirmed a single rocket from Lebanon hit northeastern Israel, but caused no casualties.

In a statement, the Israeli military said it views the incident as "grave" and holds the Lebanese government responsible.

There was no immediate comment from the Lebanese government, which has in the past criticized both the firing of rockets from southern Lebanon into Israel and the Israeli retaliation.

A Hezbollah official refused to comment on the rocket firing when contacted by The Associated Press late Tuesday.

Yasmina Bouziane, a spokeswoman for the U.N. peacekeeping force known as UNIFIL deployed in southern Lebanon after the 2006 Israel-Hezbollah war, said the force was "in contact with both parties urging them to exercise maximum restraint, uphold the cessation of hostilities and avoid taking steps which could lead to further escalation."

According to preliminary reports, she said, one rocket was fired from the area of Houla in southern Lebanon and impacted in northern Israel in the vicinity of Kiryat Shemona.

Israeli forces "retaliated with artillery fire aimed at the area from where the rocket originated," Bouziane said, adding that UNIFIL has no reports of casualties on either side.

UNIFIL, in co-ordination with the Lebanese armed forces, has deployed additional troops and reaction force in the area, she said.

The U.N. force has launched an investigation into the rocket attack.

The Lebanon-Israel border has been largely quiet since Israel and the militant group Hezbollah fought a bitter war in the summer of 2006. That war ended with a U.N.-brokered cease-fire that saw thousands of Lebanese troops and international peacekeepers deployed to keep the peace in south Lebanon.

Hezbollah has not claimed responsibility for any attacks since the end of the fighting, which ravaged Lebanon's south.

But smaller militant organizations, some of them linked to al-Qaida, have launched rockets on several occasions. The last one was on Sept. 11.

Tuesday's attack was the fifth this year. None have caused serious casualties.

-

Associated Press writer Matti Friedman in Jerusalem contributed to this report.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

I knew that sharon went up there in 2000. I just read somewhere that 1500 police went with him and that some say it started the al aqsa intifada, but when has anyone else been up there. Not trying to be a smarta**, I'm actually curious. Since your profile says you are from Israel maybe you could help me understand.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Bugman82

You know what this is like?

You throw a firecracker into my yard, i blast your house with a howitzer.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
reply to post by Bugman82

Don't throw the firecracker then, plain and simple. Israel is in their right to retaliate if some stupid scum fire a missile at them.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rationaluser
Well logic dictates if it waas just 1 missile it wasn't hezbollah as they don't do things half arsed probly some muslim group that needed to let off steam if you ask me but i can't be sure.

Yeah - Or Israel is pulling a false flag operation so they have an excuse to kill more people as a show of force.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by andrewh7]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
Don't throw the firecracker then, plain and simple. Israel is in their right to retaliate if some stupid scum fire a missile at them.

Who said anything about a missile? It was a rocket. A rocket is an unguided projectile that an 10 year old could build and fire. A missile may cost hundreds of thousands of dollars because it requires advanced guidance system and launching mechanism. There were never any missiles fired by Hamas or Hezbollah. They don't have that kind of money or technology. Israel wants you to confuse these terms because launching F16s as a result of a homemade rocket is insane overkill.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Or........perhaps it was a false flag operation on the part of Israel to keep the funding coming in for their upgrades to that particular region.??? This from Ynet news:

Kiryat Shmona Mayor Nissim Malka arrived at the rocket landing site. "Alongside the IDF's response, it's important that the State of Israel knows that it must boost the fortification budget," he said. "Only several hours passed between the defense minister's visit to the city and the firing incident, and this illustrates the difficult reality we are living in.

"We are prepared constantly to provide a response to our residents. I am in close contact with Northern Command officers. The municipality's department heads are briefed continuously on the ways to act in times of emergency."

'Benefits must not be touched'

Shlomi Council head Gabi Naaman addressed the fortification issue. "We are used to drizzles in the firing or to a reinforced pace. Unfortunately, we are also used to ongoing fire at times of war, but the main threat on the north's residents is not the rocket fire but the Israeli government's budget cuts.

"If I am informed that they have decided that the situation here is so good that they can cut the funding of daycare centers or security components, this shows just how faulty some ministers' understanding of the northern border residents' situation is.

"I can assure you that we will face Hezbollah firmly as the State of Israel's strong home front, but we cannot be strong for long in the face of painful and difficult cuts imposed on us from time to time by the Israeli government," he warned.

Mateh Asher Regional Council head Yehuda Asher, whose community was hit by rockets about two months ago, estimated that this was an individual incident and that the situation is not escalating.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Some possible explanations would be, determining the ranging for future attacks or rocket modifications.

Lebanese Mom and Dad went to the store, Jr., was playing with matches and a rocket! (I suspect it's likely more along these lines)

Israel needed to do recognizance in the area and had an agent fire off a rocket to give them a pretext to invade air space.

Israeli Mom and Dad went to the store, Jr. was playing with hand grenades (another likely possibility)

No one has done anything violent in a while and just wanted to remember what it was like (another likely possibility)

The 2010 rockets are coming in and they need to make way by getting rid of the 2009 rockets at close out prices!

An ATS Member desperate to make the October 24th to October 28th Time Wave Zero Dooms Day Thread come true took matters into their own hands.

My favorite though...cue the music please...

Sky rockets in flight!
Afternoon delight.

Sorry to the long defunct and forgotten 70's pop band I just plagiarized!

[edit on 27/10/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I pretty much agree with you D.A.D. I'll use your tense and verbage style to demonstrate how this has worked and will continue to work:

You throw a firecracker into my yard -- not retaliation, just being agressive -- and yes, I will throw a higher level of explosives back. I have many more people in my yard, and I make it a point to leave my neighbors alone, unless they start a crapstorm. You and I disagree about neighborhood affairs -- tribalism mostly, however I just want to be left alone. You, apparently want me gone, but lack the power and stones to make it happen.

You shoot a rocket into my yard, and I will respond with tenfold, hoping you have the basic human sense to understand the progression. It's behavioral conditioning, as we both know that I have severalfold superior armaments (coconut trebuchet) as well as superior techincal advancement in the chemical arts, not to mention the fact that my family is 60-strong compared to your four. I even pray that you will understand and act accordingly.

I'd expect that the next time you fire a rocket, you will do it directly next to your family pets, so that when I retaliate, you can tell the neighborhood what I bastard I am for having killed your dog. You'll probably deny having started the whole thing, and even have distant family members provide an alibi for your whereabouts. You might provide propaganda that infers that someone ELSE came onto your property and fired the rockets. No, it's never you, always some other rat bastard. You're clearly innocent and being strong-armed by the big, bad oppressive neighbor of yours -- me.

Time will come where you launch something at my yard and I will have had enough. You've already demonstrated that you will continue to do this time and time again. It will never end, and you keep getting closer and closer (the cat-and-mouse-escalation) to my house and family. Understand this: You hit my house, my barn, my shed, my boat, or God forbid, injur one of my family, and I will freakin' level your property.

Just remember when it happens -- and it will, because you just can't help yourself -- that you caused it, regardless of how you are able to spin my actions to the neighborhood.

[edit on 27/10/09 by argentus]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join