It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid explosion over Indonesia raises fears about Earth's defences

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

NO. See what "chud" had to say.

This little guy was what? 10 metres in diameter? Pfffft! A piker!

Larger, and therefore more dangerous NEOs (Near Earth Objects) that show any signs of intersecting in any way our orbital plane, at the SAME time that our teeny, tiny little planet has the remotest chance to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...those oare being monitored.

There used to be a fear (warranted, perhaps) that an undetected meteor or asteroid that impacts suddenly, even if minor, but unexpected could have triggered a thermo-nuclear exchange between those nations thus armed...However, nowadays with the satellites monitoring....they look for the indications of a LAUNCH in order to trigger a defensive response.

There a great number of eyes watching the skies constantly....something really, really big won't be missed.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Just found this can not understand what is said thought.

INDONESIAN ASTEROID: Picture this: A 10-meter wide asteroid hits Earth and explodes in the atmosphere with the energy of a small atomic bomb. Frightened by thunderous sounds and shaking walls, people rush out of their homes, thinking that an earthquake is in progress. All they see is a twisting trail of debris in the mid-day sky:

This really happened on Oct. 8th around 11 am local time in the coastal town of Bone, Indonesia. The Earth-shaking blast received remarkably little coverage in Western press, but meteor scientists have given it their full attention. "The explosion triggered infrasound sensors of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) more than 10,000 km away," report researchers Elizabeth Silber and Peter Brown of the Univ. of Western Ontario in an Oct. 19th press release. Their analysis of the infrasound data revealed an explosion at coordinates 4.5S, 120E (close to Bone) with a yield of about 50 kton of TNT. That's two to three times more powerful than World War II-era atomic bombs.

From spaceweather.com...
This must have been very scary S+F

THANKYOU

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

while i agree that we need a large 'sky budget' if you will

exactly what good would it have been if this asteroid had been, say, the size of texas?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I suggest you all watch the news footage above very carefully. Base of the smoke trail at 0.37 seconds. This isn't footage of a smoke trail left by a meteor, it's something still on fire in the air.....

[edit on 28-10-2009 by highlander08]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by highlander08
I suggest you all watch the news footage above very carefully. Base of the smoke trail at 0.37 seconds. This isn't footage of a smoke trail left by a meteor. Make up your own minds.

i knew that was coming.
I'm guessing you're an expert in this field?

Appropriately so - as you posted as such. I'm curious - can you provide a single shred of evidence to back this up?

If you can, i'm certainly all ears. Forgive me for being naturally skeptical of course...i'm more of a hands-on kind of guy

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

I suggest you all watch the news footage above very carefully. Base of the smoke trail at 0.37 seconds. This isn't footage of a smoke trail left by a meteor. Make up your own minds.

i knew that was coming.
I'm guessing you're an expert in this field?

Appropriately so - as you posted as such. I'm curious - can you provide a single shred of evidence to back this up?

If you can, i'm certainly all ears. Forgive me for being naturally skeptical of course...i'm more of a hands-on kind of guy

I'm no expert, but this footage appears to show something emerging from the base or source of the smoke trail and then shooting off to the right. As I said, make up your own minds. Personally I don't think this footage shows the remnants of a burning meteor. Why is the smoke thick at the end of the trail, it doesn't just fade and why is the trail not straight. It seems to show something still there, and burning in the air, which is then backed up by the emergence of "something" from the plume.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by highlander08

I'm watching it, but perhaps not close enough?

I see the "zig zag" pattern to the smoke, but i don't see anything fly off.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by highlander08

I'm watching it, but perhaps not close enough?

I see the "zig zag" pattern to the smoke, but i don't see anything fly off.

Watch at the base of the plume at 0.37-0.40 or am I just seeing things?

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanks for posting the video Mars1

There is some kind of a blip/dark dot at the 0.37 point,but this is after the asteroid has disintegrated.
Maybe a distant bird?
I imagine its not part of the asteroid,as any ash/matter would have fallen before this point I think-thats if there was any matter left over after the explosion.
Wierd.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I suggest you all watch the news footage above very carefully. Base of the smoke trail at 0.37 seconds. This isn't footage of a smoke trail left by a meteor, it's something still on fire in the air.....

I would have to strongly disagree with that.

This looks just like a trail left by a meteor IMHO.

this footage appears to show something emerging from the base or source of the smoke trail and then shooting off to the right.

I agree - probably a bird, or just a glitch in the video

Why is the smoke thick at the end of the trail, it doesn't just fade and why is the trail not straight.

The smoke is thick there, because different parts of the trail are dispersed at different rates, depending on the upper atmosphere winds.

The trail would have started off straight, but after just a few seconds it would start to zig-zag and distort due to high altitude winds. The atmosphere is layered a bit like an onion, and the directions and speeds of winds in each layer is different. When a meteor penetrates these layers, the trail left by the meteor is ripped apart by these high altitude winds in a very short period of time.

Here is a sequence of images that shows the process in action:

Source: IMO

It seems to show something still there, and burning in the air, which is then backed up by the emergence of "something" from the plume.

Trains left by meteors are many km altitude above the ground. As well as the denser parts of the trails being more brightly lit by the sun, they are also self luminous (no fire - it's a glowing plasma). So they can appear almost as if they are on fire.

Here is a classic example, filmed after the Tagish Lake meteorite in January 2000:
Footage: click here
Source: click here

[edit on 28-10-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Sounds like a consensus that would trade off 'Freedom for Security'...

the chance of getting hit by objects from space is 100s of millions-to-one,
so now there's a wide spread call for still another Earth Protection Agency?

the recent mid air explosion @ indonesia was most likely just another boloid...
in fact, just hereon an ATS thread a while ago, someone posted that the US Spy-Satellites aka: Keyholes...see these atmospheric explosions fairly regularly
Then those mysterious sonic-booms heard most anywhere---but no known military aircraft anywhere around --> just may be high altitude boloids exploding above our heads... the bright sky obscures the visual smoke

it turns out that a boloid was reported to have exploded above Brazil...
wit: this account & link:

... Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:20:48 PM by gleeaikin===

Another significant boloid event apparently occurred on or around August 13, 1930. This would have coincided with the passage of the Perseid Meteor Showers. While it was not as big as Tungusku, it still shook up this sparsely settled area of Brazil==

www.google.com...=en&num=100&newwindow=1&q=Asteroid+event+in+Brazil%2C+1930s&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

i don't know the address but the 'Search' includes the words
'Asteroid event in Brazil'.... look up if you wish.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Informative link/picture,thanks.
It does look very much like whats in the news clip.

I had not expected there to be as much visual evidence of the event.

Must have scared the locals big time.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

These things happen allot more often than people realize:

Mason Dixon - July 06
Italy - July 17
Russia - July 21
Belgium - Aug 15
Namibia - Sept. 19
Southern Ontario - Sept. 25
Netherlands- Oct. 13

Those are just relatively recent reports from the last few months!

I agree, some of the unexplained rumblings that have been reported may well be due to large meteors. We are just starting to become aware of how often events like this occur.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
there are powers stopping cataclysmic events from happening,

however your planet only monitors around 10 percent of near earth objects, how unwise that will prove to be when said powers lose faith in your people

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Thanks C.H.U.D. for those images. Fair point. I still find the video footage intriguing but unless someone also comes forward to confirm it as witness we will never know!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Oh...i didn't search the ATS files/library
but i did happen to see this paragraph about meteors/asteroids/boloids
being tracked by US satellites on another site i was browsing...

(hmmmm, this might be an example of syncronicity...except one would expect to find such obscure tidbits on a site named armegeddon..... yada yada)

here you go: a snippit;

..In 1994 the US Department of Defense made public domain its records on energetic bolide-type asteroids over a time span of about twenty years. This data indicates that, from 1975 to 1992, there were 136 airbursts of energy greater than 1 kiloton, but the real number was probably at least 10 times higher, because the satellite system does not cover the entire surface of the Earth..

www.armageddononline.org...

See, 136 documentd air-bursts... there also could have been several near-misses like the meteor that slid into & out of the sky up in thePacific Northwest & captured on film....i think that incident is noted in this same linked article

thanks,

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
See, 136 documentd air-bursts... there also could have been several near-misses like the meteor that slid into & out of the sky up in thePacific Northwest & captured on film....i think that incident is noted in this same linked article

Although perhaps not the most reliable source, that seems to be consistent with my experience in this field.

The US DoD has released detailed info on specific events in the past which can be found here if anyone is interested.

You mean the Great Daylight Fireball of 1972?

I'm sure there have been plenty of near misses like that one in the past few decades, but 1972 was a freak event because it happened to occur when a bunch of people were making home movies, so it was well documented. Even if that one had been on an orbit that took it directly into Earth's surface, it would likely have been stopped by the denser lower layers of atmosphere.

Analysis of its appearance and trajectory showed it was a meteoroid about 3 metres (9.8 ft) (if a carbonaceous chondrite) to 14 metres (46 ft) (if made of cometary ices) in diameter in the Apollo asteroid class in an Earth-crossing orbit that would make a subsequent close approach to Earth in August 1997. In 1994, Czech astronomer Zdenek Ceplecha re-analysed the data and suggested the passage would have reduced the meteoroid's mass to about a third or half of its original mass (reducing its diameter to 2 to 10 metres).

The meteoroid's 100 second passage through the atmosphere reduced its velocity by about 800 metres per second (2,600 ft/s) and the whole encounter significantly changed its orbital inclination from 15 degrees to 8 degrees.

Source: wikipedia

So the same kind of size range as the asteroid that exploded over Indonesia, and similar to many others that have been observed recently and in the past. These things happen at least once a week (I would estimate tentatively), somewhere around the world.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Asteroids that have been discovered on the Night-Side of the Earth are trackable as you can plot the Ephedermis (orbit) by mapping their speed/magnitude against background stars and using this information to create a ground-based plotter which maps its orbit around the Solar System relative to Earth and the Sun.

Measurements to Earth are called NEO objects but measured in Lunar Distances.

The problem stems that the vast majority of Asteroids are untrackable simply because we either dont have the resources, manpower or their manitude is too faint (due to their mass) to be observable. Coupled with the fact that 1/2 of Earth is in daytime and thus observations are restricted to Night-Time spotting only, obviously ground-based telescopes cant make observations in the daytime and sending up Satellite-based craft is not only astrophysically challenging, but would also only give us a few hours warning anyway (no time to map any crude point of impact anyway), and would barely give us a varied estimate of size or mass.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
"Something" exploded with great force in the air over Indonesia, we all presume it must have been an asteroid. It's highly likely agreed, but at present unprooven, and still an assumption without physical evidence, as was Tunguska. That is fact.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by highlander08]

[edit on 31-10-2009 by highlander08]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

It makes you wonder how many other asteroids there are on a collision course with Earth that no one has yet noticed.

This Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 an asteroid will pass 0.0075 AU and 2.9 LD. Not much info on this one other than it will be close enough to be picked up by our Doppler radar.

2009 WV25 was discovered on Nov 22, 2009 by Catalina Sky Survey.
2009 WV25 is a small object (~0.05 km plus/minus a factor of two), but it approaches close enough to Earth (within 2.9 LD on Dec 01) to be an excellent radar target.

echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Also see:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join