It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Japanese Dance of Debt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

For jittery investors, Japan’s rising sea of debt is the stuff of nightmares: the possibility of an eventual sovereign debt crisis, where the country would be unable to pay some holders of its bonds, or a destabilizing collapse in the value of the yen.

“Public sector finances are spinning out of control — fast,” said Carl Weinberg, chief economist at High Frequency Economics in a recent note to clients. “We believe a fiscal crisis is imminent.”

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I would love for this to happen as Japan is the biggest buyer of agricultural goods where I live. Time to stop sending them pineapples and tuna!

Not yet, though. I'm not stocked up.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

You want the customer of one of your local industries to no longer be able to afford to buy products from you? If that happens local jobs will go as sales decrease.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
well the yen right now is meant to be of high value. I dont know how it would suddenly collapse...

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jacob08

Precisely. Just as I want America to suffer, I also want the masses in my own country to be punished. I've had enough of these parasites who keep popping babies they can't afford to feed.

Japan is one of the biggest contributors to deforestation. Their demise is good for the planet.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
well the yen right now is meant to be of high value. I dont know how it would suddenly collapse...

It wouldn't collapse overnight, but Japan is facing a number of serious problems: declining youth base to support the older people, hollowing out of industry as jobs flee to cheaper places like China, and so on. It is said to be the G-8 nation most deeply and negatively impacted by the current global downturn.

The thing is, if a currency collapses, it collapses relative to something else. So if people flee the yen, where will they go? The dollar? The euro? Both of these are problematic for reasons that should be apparent to anyone who keeps up with financial news. The Chinese currency will eventually have to strengthen to "pick up some of the slack," but China is trying desperately to avoid that for now. Commodities?

new topics

top topics

join