Home Depot Fired a man for Wearing 'One Nation Under God' Pin

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Here is the link to the full story>>www.foxnews.com...

A Florida man says he was fired from his job at The Home Depot for wearing an American flag pin that said "One nation under God, indivisible."

Trevor Keezer, 20, said he had worn the button ever since he started working at the home improvement retailer 19 months ago. He said it was his way of supporting U.S. troops, the Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Keezer, whose brother Army Spc. Steven Keezer Jr. is set to return to Iraq in December, said none of his supervisors had anything negative to say about the pin until last month when he began bringing his bible to work, the paper reported.

"That's when I was told it had to come off, or I would be sent home," Keezer told WPTV last week.

"So they sent me home for six straight days without pay. And then today they terminated me."

Home Depot spokesman Craig Fishel said he could not comment specifically on Keezer's termination but said, “The company’s dress code policy states that we do not allow non-company buttons, regardless of their message or content.”

Fishel said The Home Depot has its own sanctioned patriotic pins that employees have the option to wear.

Keezer said he opted to wear his own pin instead because none of the company's pins mentioned God.

There is an obivious attack on freedom of speech, and our founding believe's. I read recently that a employee was asked to remove a US flag sticker from his locker. The PTB don't want us Americans or our flag hanging around anymore by the looks of it.
They want everyone to be wearing pre approved attire . We are living in the movie "Running Man".

not sure where to put this mod move if nessa.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
i wish people could get fired for what stupid crap they put on their bumpers and windows. and we should fire the retards that buy those ridiculous shiny rims. actually i'd rather make money off of 'em. i think i'm gonna go get into the stupid bumpersticker/shiny rim market.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

The workplace is not the republic.

It's obvious this guy got fired because he brought his bible and tried to start shoving god down peoples throats. It's obvious because up till the point he brought his bible to work wearing the pin was fine.

And it probably would have remained fine if he hadn't started bothering people with his holy crusade to "SAVE" them.

When I go into Home Depot or any store, I don't want anyone's religious or political views shoved in my face. If I am at work I don't want someones religious or political views shoved in my face.

They probably just enforced an already in place policy because this guy decided to start preaching to people in the workplace instead of doing his job.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It has nothing to do with "freedom of speech".

Most places of employment have a dress code. Home Depot is no exception. Either abide by the dress code, or suffer the consequences of your actions. Nobody is forcing you to work there - it's your choice. If you choose to do so, then you choose to accept their standards.

FWIW, I know Bernie Marcus - the founder of Home Depot. You will not meet a more patriotic, God-fearing Republican as he. To say that this is somehow "anti-God" or against the freedom of speech is ludicrous.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by shrike071]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shrike071

I love God and am a christian.

Obviously bringing his bible to work was the main reason.
Someone said he was "bothering people with his holy crusade to "SAVE" them" but there is no evidence of that.
Home Depot is privately owned and thay have the right to enforce a dress code and for sure I don't want to see an obama pin on an employee while shopping. The guy would have been better off legaly if he had taken off the pin but continue to read his book on breaks or lunch. I doubt there's a law against that (yet).

If the HD owner is such a patriot then he needs to stop using his parking lots for an illegal alien meet up.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I would think that the church would be vocally opposing this man and his moronic stand

Would you be defending him if it was a american flag pin and it said "Hail Satan!" or "America- Land of the ignorant"?

Nope.

Home Depot might have overreacted by firing him overall (unless he was warned to take it off of course and he said no...his rights..blah blah).

Home Depot has a right to state their dress code, for good reason, and I fully support this act of omg censorship

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Your "freedom of speech" ends at the door to your workplace. If they pay you, you need to respect their wishes. That goes for jewelry, buttonshairstyles, whatever. If you don't like it, work somewhere else.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Home Depot is right in this matter.

The guy is wrong.

He broke the rules of the company.

Case Closed.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by shrike071

FWIW, I know Bernie Marcus - the founder of Home Depot. You will not meet a more patriotic, God-fearing Republican as he. To say that this is somehow "anti-God" or against the freedom of speech is ludicrous.

Im sure he is , like most of us. The point I guess Im trying to make is that there is a constant assult on our little patch on earth called America from all directions.

And when you all go into Home Depot this holiday season ....take a look at all the Christmas related garb that the "associates" wear.....how dare they throw that christian holiday in everyones face.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Home Depot is right in this matter.

The guy is wrong.

He broke the rules of the company.

Case Closed.

I agree with you all on this point. We have just become to politically correct and it just ain't much fun here anymore....

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009

And when you all go into Home Depot this holiday season ....take a look at all the Christmas related garb that the "associates" wear.....how dare they throw that christian holiday in everyones face.

Come on...stop for a second and think it through.

Selling some trinkets is different than having your employees advertise a religion, a stance, etc...The customer and the product are independent...go in Walmart and you will find crosses, pentagrams, Hannikuah (SP?) candles, etc...but their employees are not allowed to have buttons of faith or political standings displayed...

Your grasping...just admit the guy was a idiot and move on.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Lets get the facts straight, yes he was wearing a pin, .... however ! he was also not wearing any pants.

really though, I can relate to this topic, a long time ago when I started at burger king we hired this really weird guy, everything was cool untill he started putting Christian Pamphlets in everyones order !!! and he would continue even after being warned repeatedly by the manager, eventually he was fired.

So this guy says it was for the Pin, but thats HIS excuse, I'm sure there was alot more to it than that, though he probably feels like going to buy lumber and saving souls go hand in hand.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009
how dare they throw that christian holiday in everyones face.

Christmas is actually a pagan holiday that was taken-over by the church in an attempt to assimilate the pagans into the religion. read me

Don't believe everything that Fox News tells you.

As a previous poster stated, go to HD now and you'll find holiday decorations to suit just about any flavor. They cater to nobody other than the "Holy Dollar" and limiting their product offering to one religion, or allowing an employee to advertise their faith would alienate some patrons.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Ok you guys win
I just get to worked up after reading all the caass thats going on here at ATS. I need to go visit the mountains

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So Lowes it is,. even though they're probly just as bad. No matter what all debate over religion aside, this is just unamerican. The power of a Corp.
just blankets the law of the land? I'm not buying one damn thing there ever again.Good post.
When did rules become more important than laws. Not to mention rights.

saturnfx

I would think that the church would be vocally opposing this man and his moronic stand

You don't even know this guy, so the name calling sure dosn't make you a winner.
Guess the OP closed up shop. Not much fight in him I guess.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
www.laborlawtalk.com...

labor law eeoc

What types of dress codes may an employer adopt?

A dress code must not treat some employees less favorably because of their national origin. For example, a dress code that prohibits certain kinds of ethnic dress, such as traditional African or Indian attire, but otherwise permits casual dress would treat some employees less favorably because of their national origin. An employer may require all workers to follow a uniform dress code even if the dress code conflicts with some workers' ethnic beliefs or practices. However, if the dress code conflicts with religious practices, the employer must modify the dress code unless doing so would result in undue hardship.

(was the employer put into undue hardship?)

ambiguous?

[edit on 27-10-2009 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I take it nobody that's posted in here upset has ever worked in management before.

It has nothing to do with the message on the pin itself it has to do with setting a precedent for other pins. If they allow him to have that one then they need to allow the guy who has a pin that says "Satan loves you" or "Got Unions". This is the reason why most companies will also not allow people to wear logo'd clothing or sports clothing because it opens up for the unions to put their stuff in the work place easier.

Get off your high horses and grow up. Having a job means you play by their rules, if you don't then be ready to not work. This has nothing to do with Home Depot hating troops or freedom of speech.

One more thing about freedom of speech. Just because you are allowed to have freedom of speech doesn't mean your speech has no consequences. If you yell fire in a theater you will go to jail. If you say your going to kill the president then you will probably get a visit and if you insult a person they may just punch you in the nose.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by whoshotJR]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Lets get the facts straight, yes he was wearing a pin, .... however ! he was also not wearing any pants.

really though, I can relate to this topic, a long time ago when I started at burger king we hired this really weird guy, everything was cool untill he started putting Christian Pamphlets in everyones order !!! and he would continue even after being warned repeatedly by the manager, eventually he was fired.

So this guy says it was for the Pin, but thats HIS excuse, I'm sure there was alot more to it than that, though he probably feels like going to buy lumber and saving souls go hand in hand.

your right...and lets not forget this came from FOX, they are known for leaving details out, and they can be pretty hyperbolic in their "reporting"

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I'm not upset, and have been management for quite a while now.
It's a difficult egg to balance, yet I believe you already know that.

search.access.gpo.gov...

Here's some dress code cases and such for ingesting.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
www.laborlawtalk.com...

labor law eeoc

However, if the dress code conflicts with religious practices, the employer must modify the dress code unless doing so would result in undue hardship.

(was the employer put into undue hardship?)

ambiguous?

I can't really think of a religion that requires the wearing of a lapel-pin at all times....can you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join