It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanity is something everyone should be looking for these days.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Who here claims to be a sane man? If so, what makes you sane? Insanity is everywhere. Nobody disagrees on that. We see it every day in our own houses and on our own beloved streets. We recognize it as soon as it appears.

But what we don't often realize is that we are part of the insanity that we see. And you know what? No matter what you do you will still be part of it or it will still be part of you.

I am here to say that I know NO ONE who is sane. I am completely insane in a world of insanity. But I am aware. And awareness is just exactly that, the primordial search for sanity.

I write this because I know that there are many others like me out there searching for sanity. And I also feel that the time is near that this sanity is found and shared.

We ought to stop judging each other and start behaving like civilized people - in cooperation mode.

We ought to stop treating some people very well while treating other people like they are scumbags. We need to realize that we are all in this together, looking for sanity.

Distractions are very pleasant, please don't get me wrong. But why do you need to be distracted? What is so hard that you can't face? Truth that is, a very scary thing indeed.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
That's the problem: we are too sane.

It's time to be the fool: practicallyspiritual.typepad.com...

And then balance.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
IMHO, sanity is acceptance of what is. Everyone casts a shadow. Everyone is somewhat insane. It is only the degree to which our acceptance falters, that we begin to label others as sane or insane.

I do my best not to label others as insane, because I have had periods in my life where my shadow was cast far and wide. I found that it was in part due to the pollution in the air, water, and food. It was my genes interacting with a horrible environment.

Some people are born more genetically susceptible to the pollution which surrounds us everywhere. Some people need our help, through empathy and compassion. The last thing they need is to be labeled insane, crazy, or anything else derogatory.

I am guilty of labeling others whom I feel are not worthy of my time. I too am to blame.

Thanks for making this thread. It puts me in check, and lets me know that as much as I've needed help in the past, many people need it even more right here and now. We must unite as one people, under one cause. The cause is the continuation of our species. This can only come from accepting the mess we've created here on this planet, and acting accordingly.

I have days that I doubt, days that I hope. Today and for tomorrow, I seek only to accept and act in accord with humanity.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Watch out, its a witch, lol.

No adult is anywhere near sane, or even what they think and define as an adult.

Enough said.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I don't think that anyone can say that they're sane. On that note, I happen to believe I sometimes possess a bit less sanity because of this site. After reading some of the doom-and-gloom crap, I see signs of the apocalypse in newspapers and shadows in broad daylight.

That being said, I'm glad I take this place in moderation and with a grain of salt.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
It is impossible in my opinion to be "sane" these days unless one also understands a little about "insanity". Shades of grey 'n all that....black & white.

There is a happy balance which some may call "eccentric" or slightly "wierd".

Absolute sanity must be incredibly boring. I'm glad I'm a bit nutty because a little nut has a lot of flavour.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Ummm...I would like a definition of "sane" that isn't culturally relative.

The jump from scumbags to distractions seems unsane and disconnected, to me. How did you go there? Judging "scum" vs. "non-scum" is distraction?

On what do we cooperate? How do we reconcile conflicting agendas? Who is seen as cooperative or uncooperative is relative to the requirements of each. Those who wish to cooperate and those who do not are viewed as uncooperative by the other.

Distraction is not always about not facing truth but rather allows for experience to happen. Truth destroys the limited sense of self. This small self works to preserve experience rather than allow the personal armageddon, believing the world will end. What lay beyond is the merely the unknown. The few wish to explore that realm. The many believe it is to cease to be rather than a transformation. Should the caterpillar shirk becoming a butterfly?

All Truth and no distractions make EU a dull boy.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Am I the only one that can't make a lick of sense from the above post?!

I reread it several times, and still it just seems to baffle me. It seems as if he read someones post that isn't in this thread.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I am comfortable with my insanity...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Am I the only one that can't make a lick of sense from the above post?!

I reread it several times, and still it just seems to baffle me. It seems as if he read someones post that isn't in this thread.

I'm buying!

Still, it is amazing what can be accomplished without anything mind-altering being even remotely a factor. Was it a result of being unusually right-brained and left-handed?

Who does claim to be a sane man?

What is it? I would argue it is simply an ability to perform functions that are useful and acceptable to others defined by the bounds of cultural norms. A lone man in the wild has none of those standards to answer to thus if he never encountered another and therefore developed guages relative to his own circumstances, would never be judged as insane. Was Tarzan insane before the Americans came?

Thank you for your cooperation.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

why look for something, when you already have it. you sound like everyone has a screw loose. while that may be true for some, the vast majority retains their sanity.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
My view on Sanity

Society deems what is normal and what isn't... So, in this Sanity vs. Insanity is what society thinks is norm/abnorm.

More than 50% people in the world would look at this forum along with conspiracies, etc... as being insane. If that's true, I guess I know what all brought us here in the first place... A forum to join with like minded people.

So am I going to be looking to be like the majority of this world... or do I want to be myself... ? I choose to be myself regardless of what other people think. To hell with everyone else!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

In other words... sanity and insanty are just words. They are not experences. They are basically like judging what lives by what dies. These people have died and so these living people here are limited by what the dead didn't do.

The dead don't do ANYTHING. They are dead, and as such are incapable of enacting change. So why bother measuring life by those standards?

Are you limited by your own death just because others were?

We fear the unknown and what compounds our concrete way of thinking is that we fear the fear of death and change that becomes of it, so we seek shelter from our misunderstanding through even deeper levels of misunderstanding. Whether we create our own false heavens or hells in that process depends on the individual...

but this is the reality of sanity. sanity is not sound. sanity is dead. sanity is an illusion within an illusion within an experience mistaken as an illusion by some, when the very thought of illusion is an illusion itself...

Kill yourself, everybody. It is the only cure for definition of profanity. Metaphorically speaking, anyway.

The King is dead. Long Live the King.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dunwichwitch

Well put. They are just words.

While the dead take no action themselves and are unjudging, they haunt us and remind us of ultimate fairness. They are the sanest of all, metaphorealistically speaking.

The King is dead. Long Live the King.

While I immediately thought of Elvis, I think that other King's agents benefit from his posthumous likeness far more than when he was walking the earth.

Can you imagine if the King lived for our sins? That totally lacks the marketing panache.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Maybe that definition works for those who follow cultural norms so closely, but some choose not to. I don't define insanity in that way, but do get your point. I think most people are insane, because after they're informed of what not to do and why, they continue on anyways! They don't accept reality.

If I tell someone what they eat is poison, and why, and they continue to eat this food for no good reason, I will consider them insane. Not in their right mind. Easy enough?!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

If I tell someone what they eat is poison, and why, and they continue to eat this food for no good reason, I will consider them insane. Not in their right mind. Easy enough?!

Yes, very easy. It's how I go about relating to it on a daily basis. It works for many impositions including the rules that constitute the apparently physical. For example, it's what allows me to repair my automobile, make a baked potato and keeps me from casually strolling across a busy freeway.

Rules specify relationships. If I choose to disregard them or maintain lack of awareness, they will be in play if my knowledge and ability does not allow circumvention.

If I never told you I had a magic formula that allowed me to eat these poisons without harm, you would still label me insane. I would still be doing it for no good reason but just because I can. I would just smile inside and think who is insane?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Several days ago I came across this "Not being able to understand certain aspects of reality with your current level of consciousness does not mean you have lost your sanity, and actually if you were able to access this world illusion as it really is outside of what has been popularly known as the matrix then you would indeed be insane. The situation here is is being insane the wrong situation to be or the right situation to be.".

It's interesting enough.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
EU makes a good point. Of course.... there are rules by which this reality bases itself on. We must abide by them until we discover through thorough (i always spell that word wrong...) investigation a way around the rules which govern the seen.

Thus is the goal of Yoga in the East and Hermetics in the West. What's so great about the time period in which we live is that investigation into the unknown has never been so easy because thousands, if not millions, of people in the USA alone, are re discovering what the ancient traditions are about...

It is a time of initiation... and insanity as defined by our society will get WORSE because sanity as defined by Creation is becoming more apparent... and for some, it can be overwhelming and dangerous.

It is tragic to say... but it is indeed the truth. As in the more severe ancient initiations, the mental and spiritual initiation period we are undergoing will claim many aspirant victims in its Vast Abyss.

For those whom have not the patience and the perseverence to withstand the severe wounds inflicted by this period of darkness... do not seek the light. You will go blind, go deaf, and you will get swallowed up in chaos.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"The world is governed more by appearance than realities so that it is fully as necessary to seem to know something as to know it." ~Daniel Webster

[There is only one difference between a madman and me. I am not mad.
Salvador Dali

In a mad world only the mad are sane.
Akira Kurosawa

Insanity is doing the same thing in the same way and expecting a different outcome.
Chinese Proverb

What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy?
Ursula K. LeGuin

Sanity is very rare: every man almost, and every woman, has a dash of madness.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
Friedrich Nietzsche

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the fine line between sanity and madness gotten finer?
George Price
Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid.
Heinrich Heine

We are all born mad. Some remain so.
Samuel Beckett

Oh, that way madness lies; let me shun that.
William Shakespeare

Every madman thinks all other men mad.
Latin Proverb

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
Henrik Tikkanen

When dealing with the insane, the best method is to pretend to be sane.
Hermann Hesse

A neurosis is a secret that you don't know you are keeping.
Kenneth Tynan

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Krishnamurti

I don't really trust a sane person.
Lyle Alzado

I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses.
Richard Bachman

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.
Oscar Levant

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Robin Williams

There is no great genius without some touch of madness.
Seneca

Part of being sane, is being a little bit crazy.
Janet Long

Howard Hughes was able to afford the luxury of madness, like a man who not only thinks he is Napoleon but hires an army to prove it.
Ted Morgan

Dreaming permits each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives.
William Dement

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
John Russell

Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't.
William Shakespeare

What garlic is to salad, insanity is to art.
Augustus Saint-Gaudens

In a mad world, only the mad are sane.
Akiro Kurosawa

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You tell me then, who is worth my time? Who should I start listening to? You say the majority of people are sane. I disagree. I go out in the streets and ask for directions. Everyone gives directions like they really know what they are talking about but then it happens that they really knew nothing and were always making me go to totally wrong places. This is a mundane example, my actual experience that backs up my point of view.

If the vast majority really were sane do you think we would be in this conspiracy website? Do you think there would be a demand for digital locations like this? Sanity in my understanding means balance, harmony and comprehension. I don't see any of these things in the big cities, all I see are extremes, heavy segregation and egotistical ignorance which can lead to unconscious psychological terrorism.

I think everybody is insane because they don't even think of questioning their own sanity. Everyone has been shaped by the big cultural influences that has been dominating the planet. We are just like a delusional herd, manipulated through our instincts.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Geladinhu]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join