It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colossal 'sea monster' unearthed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Colossal 'sea monster' unearthed

news.bbc.co.uk

The fossilised skull of a colossal "sea monster" has been unearthed along the UK's Jurassic Coast.

The ferocious predator, which is called a pliosaur, terrorised the oceans 150 million years ago.

The skull is 2.4m long, and experts say it could belong to one of the largest pliosaurs ever found: measuring up to 16m in length.

The fossil, which was found by a local collector, has been purchased by Dorset County Council.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
What a beast!

I'm glad in a way that these guys aren't getting about in our waters anymore, the great white shark is bad enough!

The fossil comprises a lower jaw and upper skull.

And based on their length of 2.4m (7.9ft), it is estimated that the creature would have measured between 10 and 16m (33-52ft) from tip to tail, and would have weighed in at a hefty 7-12 tonnes.

Humans would be a nice mouthful for one of these guys.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27/10/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Wow...nice find Chad

Can't imagine what a run in with one of these guys would be like but i guess you wouldn't have to suffer for very long....

Look at those teeth!!!

Peace

Ps: is this by any change an earlier model of a dolphin because in a weird way it looks cute...

[edit on 27/10/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I don't believe dolphins have descended from these guys, being mammals, but holy crap if it were it would be a dolphin from hell!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Spectacular find, thanks for sharing
The first thing i've noticed is some vague resembleance with crocodiles (especially the area of the mouth) but it's just some thought.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

A crocodolphin it is then.....

Peace

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
You know I tried a google search for crocodolphin thinking someone out there has thought this up before but it seems to not be the case!

We need a crocodolphin in a movie!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
An amazing find and great ATS material.

What this illustrates to me, is exactly how much we have to discover yet in this world we live in.

We are just beginning to scratch the surface in understanding all that went before our little "wink in time".

Creatures like this ruled the earth for millions and millions of years, unfettered and unchallenged by any forces other than the forces of nature we are all subject too.

Yet as powerful as they were, as prevalent and long lived; they apparently died in the proverbial "Cosmic blink of an eye"...

Really brings home how tenuous life is on this planet.

Semper

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

It is amazing that these creatures once walked the earth, it would be an awesome sight to see.

What's more amazing to me is crocodiles outliving the dinosaurs and still being a force of nature even today.

A true survivor.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
"Compared to this, T-REX would be a kitten"... LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
You know I tried a google search for crocodolphin thinking someone out there has thought this up before but it seems to not be the case!

Please don't give deranged genetic engineers any ideas.. they're already going crazy with combinations!

lol

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Have you seen Orca?

www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by internos

A crocodolphin it is then.....
Any relation to the crocoSTIMPY?
Sorry, had a Ren&Stimpy flashback.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

no, it evolved into labradors

[edit on 27-10-2009 by reject]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I hear the UK government is already taking steps to outlaw it as a deadly weapon.

First the stab proof knife, and next, bite proof teeth

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Simply astounding! It boggles the mind that we're still finding species we never knew existed on this planet, even with 12 billion (?) people on this Earth. One can only imagine what's fossilized below the ocean floors.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
star and flag for the find. I have nothing to add other then that is one bad azzed predator. That is 100 christmas toys for the peleontologists.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Lets not forget the cockroach
I bet that thing has survived since the beginning, whenever that was..lol

Great find Chad! I sure wouldnt want to be in the water with one of these things swimming around, I worry enough about jellyfish and sharks already!

S&F

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
that is a pretty awesome find -- I like to think that just under the ocean where we cannot get to things like this might still exist

Why are we so obsessed with space anyway?

We should figure out whats on our planet first.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Well here is one you can still sink your teeth into.
englishrussia.com...
Appears to be real?

new topics

top topics

join