It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safety of modern cars in case of submersion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I've only thought of this recently after going through the worst flood we had!!

I specifically want to point out the power windows.

On old cars with crank-operated windows, in case of submersion, you simply need to crank the window down, then escape through the window, rather quickly... You can't count on opening doors because it will take huge amounts of force due to unequal pressure...

Now with power windows, upon submersion, they quit working, you have to wait for the water to FULLY flood the interior of the car before you can finally open the door...

This is actually what you will read in 'car safety books' and they did a very good job of making the reader feel it's very safe. But have they actually tried it? Didn't they realize that the situation of the car with power windows is a LOT worse than car with crank-operated windows??

Didn't they think that while you're **waiting** for the interior to fully flood, the car is also sinking at the same time, going deeper and deeper... Giving you less and less precious time to save yourself and your passengers and making survival awfully harder? And even worse, the door may not always open..

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Waiting for the car to fill with water to equalize the pressure is most definitely the wrong thing to do.

You need to get out as fast as you can.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Always keep calm in any emergency situation.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Always keep calm in any emergency situation.

Me being the adventurous type, easy for me to do. But to some of my loved ones who only know about their daily routine and all the pleasant things about life. I have a very difficult time sharing that attitude.

One of the reasons I studied engineering is for pursuit of safety, sadly, it only became hobby at best.

It's important that you can keep calm... But if you can enhance a product to help make it easier, why not? There's a reason why our cars have airbags, ABS, etc, but isn't enough.. Large commercial aircraft are the worst but that is reserved for another thread I might make soon.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Large commercial aircraft are the worst but that is reserved for another thread I might make soon.

I'd like to see that....interesting thread idea, this one too.

I was about to post the "Mythbusters" episode, but someone beat me.

One thing they showed, besides trying to remain calm, was having something to bust out the window.

A fire extinguisher is always good to have on hand, for other emergencies...AND it could be used to break a window, perhaps?

Even in deep water, though...take deep breath, wait 'til door will open, then breathe out as you surface...like you learn in SCUBA.

Now, for a funny....

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
www.lifehammer.com... Is probably not a bad investment really, you have a method of breaking the windows, and also the ability to cut through the seatbelt in the event that the release is mangled and unable to function properly.

As for using a fire extinguisher its probably not going to work as its a rather rounded object, if you already have water over the windows completely you need a pointed implement in order to break the glass as bashing it with the extinguisher is basically just going to waste energy and air, both of which are precious commodities when in a survival situation like a submerged vehicle.

new topics

top topics

join