It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about the disappearing honeybees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

A MOVIE called Vanishing of the Bees opened in cinemas across the UK earlier this month. It's a feature-length documentary about the "mysterious collapse" of the honeybee population across the planet - a phenomenon that has recently attracted a great deal of attention and hand-wringing.

The idea that bees are disappearing for reasons unknown has embedded itself in the public consciousness. It is also a great story that taps into the anxieties of our age. But is it true? We think not, at least not yet.

First, the basics. Pollination by bees and other animals - flies, butterflies, birds and bats - is necessary for the production of fruits and seeds in many wild and cultivated plants. More than 80 per cent of the planet's 250,000 species of flowering plants are pollinated by animals.

Agriculture is a large-scale beneficiary of these pollination services, so claims that pollinators are in decline have triggered alarm that our food supply could be in jeopardy, that we may be on the verge of a global "pollination crisis".

NewScientist Full Article Here

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review This Link

[edit on Tue Oct 27 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Rather than just posting selected excerpts from an article, it's generally considered useful to provide your personal thoughts.

Maybe you can provide your thoughts on why you didn't quote this from the article:

Overall, we must conclude that claims of a global crisis in agricultural pollination are untrue.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
This mystery is still a concern of whole world... due to this the agri sector gona suffer a huge loss... but the most affected sector will be honey companies and product related to it. I think the disappearing of bees are giving us a signal to great disaster to come.... as they have a great sense of nature changes.... or it might be due to aliens,,,,
:

Hope this will be solved ...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

My ideology is more or less relative to the economy and the effect that the loss of honey may have. It is like the domino effect, lack of honey bee population equals lack of plant pollination.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

Sure, the loss of honey bees would be bad for crops that depend on them for pollination (not all do), but there is no indication that honeybees are disappearing.

Interesting though, the article suggests that the increase in production of "luxury foods", many of which depend on bees, may be too fast for the pollinators to keep up.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No you are right, there is not currently a shortage or depopulation of honey bees. However, we are looking at the fact that in the future, there very well might be a shortage, which would be horrific for the economy and is underestimated by some.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Rather than just posting selected excerpts from an article, it's generally considered useful to provide your personal thoughts.

Maybe you can provide your thoughts on why you didn't quote this from the article:

Overall, we must conclude that claims of a global crisis in agricultural pollination are untrue.

ummm maybe because that quote is an ...*gasp* ..opinion! ??

and about as relevant as the OP's observations and opinion.. as this is his thread not theirs...

-

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well, a year or so backwards in time, posted a thread about this issue. It was due my personal observation that bees in my region seemed to have disappeared. It was so back then, perhaps it was summer before last one. But last summer, the little pollinators were back on business. Maybe they were suffering from some disease, or maybe they resided on other areas, I don't know. Yet on last summer, they came back.

-v

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I remember hearing that there was a lot of empty hives. Now they are back?

My thought was they were taken to the seed/animal banks for the comming of the possible Apocalypse.

top topics

join