It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controversial study suggests vast magma pool under Washington state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
A controversial new study suggests that thier is a huge magma pool underneath of Washington state. They state that the magma pool supplys magma to three active volcanos Mount St. Helens , Mount Rainier and Mount Adams. They said that a super-volcano has been ruled out because of lack of surface evidence like what we see at Yellowstone. FYI- The study is very controversial and some scientists dispute the claim, but you can read the article and take it for what it's worth. I found it interesting myself.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Bcs8484]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Maybe they can tap into the geothermal energy! Or have some other use for it, but let's see if it's true first.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
So after finding this story last night I was doing some more research apparently some scientist do believe that thier is a super-volcano underneath of Washington. It last went off 3.7 million years ago and left ash across the mid-west. It is a smaller super-volcano but still deadly.

news.nationalgeographic.com... des.html

www.newscientist.com... g20227124.700-supervolcano-may-be-brewing-beneath-mount-st-helens.html

blog.oregonlive.com... s_is_mount_st_h.html

astrology.yahoo.com... es-and-the-danger-they-present-530755/

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Hello dudes,
I am a student of volcanic geology and have a crisp natural understanding of geology. My idea is that the whole cascade system is all interconnected by their plumbing. There may be several volcanoes that draw from the same magma source and the same thing with the other cascade volcanoes. It is unlikely that every volcano from Lassen and Shasta to Mt. Raineer share the same magma reservoir because of the differing nature of these volcanoes and the composition of their eruption material.

Crater Lake itself is quite massive and alone can produce supervolcanic euptions on the order of erupting 12 cubic miles (50cubic km) of rhyolite.
While leaving behind a six mile wide caldera. This one is in Washington.

Have you ever read any library books on the cascade volcanoes, well I have, and much of the information had eruptions occuring in the 1800s where there was activity coming from five or more volcanoes during a short ammount of time. Apperently they like to wake up in symphony. The only exception was the hyperactive Mt Saint Helens who erupts much more often than any other cascade volcano.

This would suggest the existence of connective plumbing between these mountains and that they are feeding from the same magma chamber.
I would say that it would be very fun if all of the Cascade volcanoes were to wake up for me to study, lol. I can't wait until I am a volcanologist and can study active volcanoes.
Later on dudes that is my ten cents.

Angel One

new topics

top topics

join