It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What If Mechanics And Nutritionists Switched Jobs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
What If Mechanics And Nutritionists Switched Jobs?

“Howdy, welcome to Kelly Brownell Auto Repair. Can I help you?”

“Yeah, something’s not right with my car. It’s sluggish and it’s burning way more gas than it used to. Can you maybe take a look under the hood, or run some kind of test, or–?”

“You say she’s burning too much gas?”

“Definitely. I have to fill up like twice a week now, and I don’t even drive that much anymore.”

“Well, there’s your problem.”

“Huh?”

“You’re putting too much gas in it.”

“Uh … I’m not sure I’m following you here.”

“Well, it’s simple. She’s burning too much gas. So stop putting so much gas in the gas tank. You see?”

“Well, uh … don’t you think maybe something’s wrong with the engine, or the fuel system, or maybe there’s a leak, or–”

“No offense, buddy, but you’re talking to a professional here. I see this all the time. People come in with cars that are sluggish, and every darned one of them is filling up the tank all the time. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to put two and two together. If she’s burning too much gas, stop filling her up all the time. Then she can’t use too much gas. Like I said, it’s simple.”

“Okay. Right.”

“And if she’s still sluggish, you need to get her out on the highway a few times a week and run her at a high speed for an hour or so.”

“Well … that kind of seems like it might just make the car use more gas.”

“No, no, no, you’re missing the whole idea here. Give her less gas, but drive her around a lot more. That’s how you get your mileage up. Less gas, more miles, that means more miles per gallon. You understand the math?”

“Uh …”

“Look, it’s not hard. Lucky for you, the gas stations around here are required by law to show you exactly how many gallons you’re putting in the tank. So let’s say you normally put in fifteen gallons. Just watch that meter real close, and then stop when you’ve put in, say, ten gallons. Then drive her around a lot more. Problem solved.”

“Uh, yeah, sure. Thanks.”

“And if that doesn’t work, come back next week. I’ll be happy to give you the same advice again.”

Unfortunately, this blogger has outlined the sad reality that people with questions about nutrition experience daily. I'm posting this in the Medical Issues & Conspiracies forum because it's this nutritional misinformation that just may be causing the most detrimental diseases, AKA diseases of civilization.

One of the reasons why I wrote this thread is due to the amount of times I've heard the documentary SuperSize Me referenced as a source of evidence that overeating, becoming sedentary and eating fatty foods are completely detrimental to a persons health and that these things, in combination with the consumption of fast foods, are too blame for heart disease, diabetes, obesity, et al.

Supersize me is a very misleading in many ways. One of which is how it blames Spurlock's weight gain and poor lipid profiles on the Fat and excess calories(typically from fat) in McDonald's menu items, and to some extent his lack of physical activity. What Spurlock fails to point out is how many carbohydrates he consumed and how they affected his health. In fact, even the Doctor in the video suggested that his problems were from his overconsumption of fat.

As a result, Tom Naughton, the author of the blog excerpt from above, decided to make his own documentary to expose the truth. It's entitled Fat Head.

Have you seen the news stories about the obesity epidemic? Did you see Super Size Me? Then guess what? … You’ve been fed a load of bologna.

Comedian (and former health writer) Tom Naughton replies to the blame-McDonald’s crowd by losing weight on a fat-laden fast-food diet while demonstrating that nearly everything we’ve been told about obesity and healthy eating is wrong. Along with some delicious parody of Super Size Me, Naughton serves up plenty of no-bologna facts that will stun most viewers, such as: The obesity “epidemic” has been wildly exaggerated by the CDC. People the government classifies as “overweight” have longer lifespans than people classified as “normal weight.” Having low cholesterol is unhealthy. Lowfat diets can lead to depression and type II diabetes. Saturated fat doesn’t cause heart disease — but sugars, starches and processed vegetable oils do.

Here's a few clips from the show.

And a great point that fast food joints don't make us fat:

An outline of Spurlock's faulty math:

No more using a bogus documentary to support your claims guys.

-Dev

[edit on 27-10-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

[edit on 27-10-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Wow, this is pretty good stuff.

Might have to grab a copy of that video.

So that means if I only eat steak wrapped in bacon, I can be totally thin and healthy?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Yeah, pretty much. I posted this thread, however, as a reminder that Spurlock's documentary is very misleading and shouldn't be used as a reference.

That, and I wanted everyone to check out Naughton's video/blog. Good Stuff.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The problem isn't carbohydrates, that would be ridiculous seeing how our body's main source of fuel is carbohydrates. The problem is carbs made from grains, sugarbeets, corn, sugarcane etc.

Furthermore a low fat/low protien is one of the most beneficial diets but only if your main source of calories is sweet fruits.

You can't take advice from anyone now a days when it comes to anything food related, doctors and nutritionist are vastly uninformed or have been taught things that are completely false, the government perpetuates these fallacy's even more and then tv works to reinforce them.

My advice is do your own research and experimentation, thru these methods I've come to the conclusion a fruit based diet is the only way (but don't take my word for it)

Just an fyi for anyone watching this video, within the first 2 minutes it claims that your muscles and organs run off fat. While this may be true it is very inefficient and will only happen if you starve your body of carbohydrates.

Also high insulin spikes are only the result of eating processed carbs, fruits do not cause this problem at all. Its also a myth(somewhat) that carbohydrates turn to fat they actually burn off as heat in a process known as facultative dietary thermogenesis.

the conversion of carbohydrates to fat - a process known as novo lipogenesis is very rare and metabolically costly, using up to 30% of the energy in the carbohydrate. ie, if it were to happen (very unusual), 100 calories of excess carb would become only 70 calories of fat storage.

One more point, in the last video he claims no one forces anyone to eat fast food.

This is true to an extent but when you factor in that fast food is now the cheapest food source available, usually a great deal cheaper then fruits and vegetables, why are people gonna pick healthy food over something they know taste good, is fast and cheap?

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Rawhemp]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp
Furthermore a low fat/low protien is one of the most beneficial diets but only if your main source of calories is sweet fruits.

Come on now, you're just repeating stuff you've heard without actually doing any research. please provide me with any study showing a LOW FAT diet that is beneficial. I can provide a study that confirms that they are NOT beneficial if you'd like.

You can't take advice from anyone now a days when it comes to anything food related, doctors and nutritionist are vastly uninformed or have been taught things that are completely false, the government perpetuates these fallacy's even more and then tv works to reinforce them.

Can't disagree with that.

vice is do your own research and experimentation, thru these methods I've come to the conclusion a fruit based diet is the only way (but don't take my word for it)

A fruit based diet is low in essential fats and low in essential proteins. Not to mention the fact that a fruit based diet would be high in fructose....which would no doubt raise triglycerides and could lead to diabetes and/or gout, et al.

fyi for anyone watching this video, within the first 2 minutes it claims that your muscles and organs run off fat. While this may be true it is very inefficient and will only happen if you starve your body of carbohydrates.

Fat burning is much more efficient. In fact, the heart prefers KETONES as fuel, which are a byproduct of burning fat for energy.

[quoteso a myth(somewhat) that carbohydrates turn to fat they actually burn off as heat in a process known as facultative dietary thermogenesis.

You're saying that carbohydrates are not stored as stearic acid in adipocytes?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

A fruit based diet is low in essential fats and low in essential proteins. Not to mention the fact that a fruit based diet would be high in fructose....which would no doubt raise triglycerides and could lead to diabetes and/or gout, et al.

Fruits contain all essential amino acids and essential fats. its easily confirmed by going to nutritiondata.com.. Fruits don't cause insulin spikes in the blood and have never ever caused a case of diabetes or gout, nice fear mongering tho.

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvdFat burning is much more efficient. In fact, the heart prefers KETONES as fuel, which are a byproduct of burning fat for energy.

If your gonna make a claim like this atleast back it up with prove? Our body prefers carbohydrates for fuel, whether you want to admit it or not its a fact. Your brain needs glycogen to run...

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvdYou're saying that carbohydrates are not stored as stearic acid in adipocytes?

yes that's what I'm saying.. Are you saying they do? lets see the prove!

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Rawhemp]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Look both of you have some valid points but you have to remember most people are not going to follow a proper eating plan and not going to exercise on a regular basis. It is already apparent based on the knowledge you two have you are both probably fit already and most likely will stay fit but the average person is not. Neither of you mentioned portion control once and really that is one of the most important things when discussing nutrition. If you consume 900 calories at one meal your going to get fat storage, it can be from mostly fruit as well as vegetables or any other food type. Advocating a mostly fruit diet can be harmful to a laymen as they will not eat other types of food and most fruits, consumed in large amounts does have to much fructose which is not good.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp

Fruits contain all essential amino acids and essential fats. its easily confirmed by going to nutritiondata.com.. Fruits don't cause insulin spikes in the blood and have never ever caused a case of diabetes or gout, nice fear mongering tho.

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvdFat burning is much more efficient. In fact, the heart prefers KETONES as fuel, which are a byproduct of burning fat for energy.

If your gonna make a claim like this atleast back it up with prove? Our body prefers carbohydrates for fuel, whether you want to admit it or not its a fact. Your brain needs glycogen to run...

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvdYou're saying that carbohydrates are not stored as stearic acid in adipocytes?

yes that's what I'm saying.. Are you saying they do? lets see the prove!

You have made a few claims here as well, first and provided no linky so why are you asking for proof of anything as it seems up to now it's mostly opinion based information.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968

You have made a few claims here as well, first and provided no linky so why are you asking for proof of anything as it seems up to now it's mostly opinion based information.

because my claims are easily confirmed by one quick google serach, not so for DevolutionEvolvd's. Here you go,

www.articlesbase.com...

www.drmcdougall.com...

www.nursingcenter.com...

A. According to the Government, a diet should consist of mainly 50-65% Carbohydrates, 20-30% Fats, 10-15% Proteins.

Seems pretty low fat to me... Its actually too high in fat, 10% is even better

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think we've gone at this plenty of times and it seems quite clear that our respected views are firmly grounded. Why don't we formally debate this?

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Why don't we formally debate this?

I would but i'm terrible at debating, i rather just present the facts and let the readers come to a conclusion.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Are you posting studies with the hopes that I either don't understand them or don't read them?

www.nursingcenter.com... 36

That "study" is merely a review, I'm assuming a Meta-Analysis, of sports nutrition research. It is irrelevant to our discussion and, besides that, the abstract provides no details as to how these studies were constructed/conducted.

www.articlesbase.com...

I seriously can't believe you actually posted that article as "prove," much less a credible source.

www.drmcdougall.com...

I see now. You're plagiarizing McDougall's own article when arguing with me. And you're telling me I need proof?

What you've done is the exact opposite of researching. You have a preconceived notion, you search google for support and you post it as proof positive, regardless of their credibility or relevance.

You're asking for proof from me but when I say that "Insulin drives the storage of carbohydrates into fat cells," I don't provide it because it's Basic Biochemistry, not because it's easily searchable on Google.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

You're not presenting facts, my friend. I wish you were because it would make this much more interesting.

-Dev

top topics

join