It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30 Dumb Inventions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Just for fun and a laugh... Life Magazine posts an article called 30 Dumb Inventions.

A curved barrel machine gun?

How about a cirgarette holder that holds a whole pack?!

A rainy day cigarette holder!

How about a window cage for for your baby to hang out the window. No problem in a high rise!

Life Magazine 30 Dumb Inventions

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

The late Michael Jackson could have used a window cage when he dangled his baby - everyone would have cheered!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
LOL - Exactly what I thought when I saw that... but didn't have the nerve to say it!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I wouldn't call some of them dumb.

The motorized surf board could be seen as the predecesor to jet skis.

The curved barrel machine gun is a predecesor to technology that is being tested now on the battle field.

Most of them are pretty stupid, but some were good ideas, they just lacked the proper technology.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Some of them were pretty dumb like the "baby cage". But the motorized surfboard is actually really cool and similar to other water toys in common use today.

How about the "illuminated tire" that is brilliant and I'm surprized that I haven't seen these on a lowrider or custom car of some kind.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I actually became quite frustrated when i saw "Honegar" on there! It is actually honey and apple cider vinegar which can be used to cure many ailments.
Again, media ridicule of any non pharmaceutical treatment.

and the flying platform?? yeah. you know you smiled

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Why does it not surprise me that L. Ron Hubbard invented a "Hubbard Electrometer" to determine that tomatoes "feel pain" and "scream when sliced."

Here I thought the founder of Scientology was just a crappy Sci-fi writer, I didn't realize he was also a crackpot inventor as well!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
this is currently the best thread on ats

the best in weeks if not months

i mean tomatoes screaming

the rainy day cigarette holder

the motorized surfboard

how did the illuminated tire not catch on?

seems like the cigarette pack holder was made by darwin

who wouldnt want sea shoes?

in a culture of youtube, ipod, iphones and the bluetooth how didnt the tv glasses catch on? im sure apples working on it now

the cigarette holder built for 2 isnt a bad idea, might help get couples to quit, or at least cut back

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I'll give them half as stupid, then call them stupid for not recognizing precursor technologies when they see them:

miniature tv led to your cellphone video screen

eye-tv to headsup displays

turkey roaster is ubiquituous now at every buffet

phone answering robot meet your great-great-grandson Asimo

What's dumb about a portable suana?

others have been pointed out as valid precursors already.

Another dumb list. Slightly amusing, but dumb.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
im surprised illuminated tires didnt become a hit

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I watched a documentary that had some info on the curve-barreled machinegun.

It actually worked extremely well.

It was invented by the Nazi's to correct the design flaw of a particular tank. The tank had no defense against Russian soldiers crawling onto it and lighting it aflame, as I recall. The Nazi's would poke the gun out of slots on the side of the vehicle, aim using a barrel-mounted mirror device, and blast the heck out of their would-be assailants.

Because of the curvature of the barrel, the bullets would actually shatter and fragment on their way out and it produced a shredding shotgun effect.

There were many unhappy Russian soldiers as a result. LOL

Deffinitely an odd invention, but in no way a dumb one. :]

~G

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
One of the dumbest inventions is giving stupid people, control of mind control technologies. No one can understand anothers thoughts, period.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hey, thank you for posting this, extremely funny.
Some of them aren`t so dumb, I agree with previous posters.
I mean the Cigarette Pack Holder would make some useful paraphernalia.
But my absolute favourite is the description of the Shower Hood-
"For the woman who likes to put makeup on her dirty face"
lol
cheers

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
There should be another category that goes right up close to dumb inventions but transgresses the boundaries and puts it's other foot in the kick ass cool category!! - It shall now be called the "Dumb on paper - but paper sucks, where's my hammer?" Category...

I feel the JetLev should feature strongly here

I can see thousands of British troops crossing the English channel and invading France!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Pffft!! Venetian blind sunglasses...

Man, you see teenagers around here wearing those sort of things..

Somehow they've become de rigeur amongst the kids that were never around in the 80's but yet worship it like a cult..

Still as silly as ever!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
the 20 cigarette holder where you can smoke a whole pack all in one puff had me laughing hard for about half an hour. the dog restrainer had me laughing til tears came out. S+F, made my morning

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Cool thread.
How about this one,a kids "toy" called the swing wing:

www.liveleak.com...

Designed to keep chiropractors in jobs maybe?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this!

Now, I wish I had dual fixed motorized surfboards.... Perhaps a rope to hold on with for those of us over 200 lbs.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
the 20 cigarette holder where you can smoke a whole pack all in one puff had me laughing hard for about half an hour. the dog restrainer had me laughing til tears came out. S+F, made my morning

I loved the cigarette holder for two!
They look like they're really getting into it!

Maan, I'm still giggling over that picture...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
People really loved their cigarettes back then didn't they? It felt like every other invention was for smoking!!

However the smallest TV, and TV glasses are obviously the backbone for the technology we have today in our phones!! Come on MSM!! These are not dumb, if you think they are dumb and we should all follow suit then I should throw away my BlackBerry and iPhone, oh yeah and my travel DVD player.

But I am keeping my phone answering robot!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join