It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US diplomat 'resigns' over Afghan war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

US diplomat 'resigns' over Afghan war

www.heraldsun.com.au

A STATE Department diplomat disillusioned with US involvement in Afghanistan has become the first US official known to resign in protest over the eight-year war, The Washington Post has reported.

Matthew Hoh, 36, was the senior State Department official in Afghanistan's Zabul province, a hotbed for Taliban militants, until he resigned last month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Why is the USA in Afghanistan? Seriously?

Can someone give me a no BS reason to try and justify the presence there?

At least one person has seen the light and decided to quit because of it, I wish more would follow. However, then they would be replaced by more warpigs, no doubt.

Politicians are the bottom feeders of the food chain... I can't stand them. Still, when they have willing meat-puppet soldiers sign up to shape their foreign policy for them, the cycle of crap will surely continue.

www.heraldsun.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Not the first time Hillary has been betrayed by a man.

Why we're there is a good question. I can't answer that.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

This might be very telling here...

"I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end," added the former Marine Corps captain, according to comments carried by the Post.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

if you look back,the US wanted to build a pipeline from turkministan,form the caspian sea to pakistan.
haliburton and tom brown drilling,back in the late 90's courted the taliban in order to get the rights.
they said "no". this was a mistake.
the reason for the pipeline was that the US did not want the surronding countries to sell the oil to our"enemies".
so when the towers went down,even though they knew the hijackers were saudis,they attacked afghanistan.
this is why we supplied weapons to the taliban to fight the russians.
in case you didn't know it, al qaeda means"the database". this was the list of freedom fighters that charlie wilson supplies weapons to during the russian invasion.
but afghanies aren't buying anybody's bs. this is a continuation of that debacle.

it's all about oil.

but,ahhhhh,obama,ahhhhh is against big oil

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Spectre0o0]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
Why is the USA in Afghanistan? Seriously?

Can someone give me a no BS reason to try and justify the presence there?

That would be oil pipelines for Halliburton and poppy fields for the Cocaine Importing Agency.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Hey Tezz, thanks for this article. S&F.

This short story has so many important facets to it, I don't even know where to begin.

But you know what gets me the most with this? Check this out:

"We took his letter very seriously, because he was a good officer," Holbrooke said in an interview with the daily.

Holbrooke initially convinced Hoh - who had also served in uniform at the Pentagon and as a civilian in Iraq - that by remaining in government, he could more effectively change US policy in Afghanistan.

But the diplomat changed his mind a week later and again tended his resignation.

Staying on "wasn't the right thing to do", he told the Post.

Why did it take this long to see that staying on wasn't the right thing to do? Since when has going to war in Afghanistan been the right thing to do? I will agree that late is better than never, but tell that to the dead. Late is not good enough, especially in their case.

Bin Laden to this day still has not been indicted for the crimes of 9/11, due to lack of evidence. Well yeah, no wonder. Seeing as much of the evidence points in the opposite direction! But someone had to pay for the misdirected American bloodlust after 9/11.

And far be it for the leaders of this country to have any real backbone to actually get some evidence before invading a foreign country. Manufacturing plots, schemes, and evidence is far easier. Deception is what our tax dollar buys now, despite the famous ATS adage that "We don't pay taxes to buy lies." Oh yes you do brother. Yes, you do.

The bottom line here is that good men can only handle their own consciences for so long. They can try to go along, and they can try to be evil, but they eventually fall victim to their own righteousness. Maybe this is such a good man, and there are bound to be more of them.

And the real question I have for the rest of you involved is how much longer you gonna last? As long as the money flows instead of blood? Your blood? Your brother's blood? Where do you draw the line? How close does the violence have to get to your safe little microcosm before you come clean and turn on these bastards?

Well, you're late. Way too late. You suck and you will pay with your souls.

You better believe the WH is trying to exercise damage control on this guy, as the article states, lest the whole enchilada become unraveled by a repentant voice of dissidence. Don't heed his message with the resignation. Oh no. Instead, see if you can buy him off by offering him a bit more pay and a bit more power with the higher rank. Yes, that's you now, American Military Machine. So low that you cannot even let the repenting escape without one last futile attempt to further corrupt and continue pushing your evil agenda. Because that's what it is. PURE EVIL at this point. Greedy bastards!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

From source:

"I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end," added the former Marine Corps captain, according to comments carried by the Post.

It is reasonable to assume that our Marine Corps captain, now Obama advisor, wanted to win in Afghanistan as all Marines want to win. Do you suppose Matthew Hoh thinks that Obama isn't there to win? OMG!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
If Matthew Hoh, thinks his resignation is going to have any effect on the Afghan stalemate, he is sadly mistaken. By now, they are grooming someone to fill his shoes in Zabul Province and business goes on as usual. As Richard Holbrooke mentioned, holding a position in the State Department is far more effective at changing policy than taking a stance on the outside looking in. Personally, I think he should have remained on as long as feasibly possible, and work harder to effect change.

Now, he is just a bystander, and watching through a window as we all are, instead of being on the front line with a position of weight, and an ability to have a positive impact on policy initiatives by the State Department and the Obama Administration. However, if he thought resignation is more effective in jogging the minds of the policy makers and politicians, then more power to him, but I think it is far less effective than what he may have in mind. He just gave up his seat at the table and has now left it vacant for some indoctrinated stooge to fill the vacancy. So, is walking away, and taking a seat on the bench, going to do anything?

I, like many, have no idea where the US is heading with that conflict, and would like some kind path in place with objectives, benchmarks, and directives. However, none of the aforementioned examples have been made, and our forces are in harms way treading water. That upsets me greatly!

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I agree with your assessment. Let's see, how many people here in the US are out of work? Do not worry about Obama and the government, the spin doctors will be out in full force and this resignation will be made to look good. Something like Hoh was not really correct in his assessment over there, he just wanted to get back to his family.

Empire and the War Machine must roll on. Go War. It just makes me sick.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Yep, business as usual, another bites the dust, and they will have no problem filling the vacancy left by Matthew Hoh. Every time I check it appears business is good and the machine in moving at a fever pitch. One man can't stop the show, and slowly but surely, the grand finale will be upon us all. I only shudder at what that will entail for us all, because things are out of control. The world is definitely in the path of the freight train. and I hope it has enough sense to jump out of the way this time as it has in the past. Time will tell, but the prospects aren't looking good.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Jakes51]

new topics

top topics

join