It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My battle with cigarettes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by total newbie
reply to post by red_leader

I was just looking at the sites. Smoker's Outlet, Little Brown Smoke Shop, Pipes and Cigars.

I roll my own. I guess I have smoked about 150,000 hand rolled cigarettes. Mostly Tops, Bugler, Kite. Withe the tax increase I am going to have to be clever to avoid paying a bundle.

Two blends from D&R Tobacco remain shags. They are Ryback and Three Sails. Ryback is like Drum and Three sails is like Bali Shag (Red).

Anyway, for this month the credit card is maxed out. But will order some soon. I like hand rolled cigarettes. Take care.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by total newbie]

Hey I also roll my own, or did.. Because I just recently quit. I liked the bugler regular and the gold. Man I can taste it now lol, this really sucks. I'm using the gum and inhaler and I have to agree they are both equally terrible. I quit last week for 4 days, but I caved and smoked somewhat for a couple days. But I've given it another shot, and it's been 2 days now.

This is'nt the first time I've quit, i went cold turkey before and quit for over 3 years, I am kicking myself for ever starting these things again, big mistake. I don't have as much will as I did back then.

anyway good job! Quitting cigs is harder than kicking heroin!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Good luck quiting. I traded in my pack of cigs for a can of cope and while its still nicotine my life has drastically improved. Now I will die from jaw cancer, but damn it, I won't be struggling to breath.

Just do the rest of the smokers a favor and not become an anti smoking nazi. When you are around someone who is smoking don't hold your nose like a princess whos sensibilities are being impeded on or anything obnoxious like that.

By the way, cut out coffee and alcohol. Your quest will be much easier without those things.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Congratulation to those that have beat the monster! I quit as well and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. The money I'm not spending on cigarettes is nice.

I had an 'oh wow' moment a few weeks after I quit. I never really noticed how easy it was it 'smell' out smokers until I wasn't one myself. I can smell them as soon as they walk in the room. I can't believe that I once smelled like that too! Yuck!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Congratz on being able to quit smoking. I wish you and everyone else who quits the best wishes. I'm 39 and will continue to smoke until the day I die and that's fine - I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. Just don't see the point in quitting something I enjoy doing even if it will eventually kill me (we all die sooner or later anyway). I did switch to "natural tobacco", there is a difference. Good luck!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Yeah, its a rough battle. I'm still in the fight.. been smoking for a decade now, and its definitely time to kick the habit. I did pretty well after using the "Easy Way to Quit Smoking". It was a book a coworker gave to me, and I HIGHLY recommend it. After reading that I stopped smoking cold turkey for 6 months. No gimmicks, no fear mongering. It was a fresh approach that I had not ever heard by any other anti-smoking material. It covers the process by which we actually "brainwash" ourselves into thinking that we need cigarettes. The book describes how withdrawal symptoms are grossly blown out of proportion by the tobacco manufacturers to scare people into thinking that they are going to have to go through a lot of stress in order to quit smoking. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, once I understood I had been the victim of my own brainwashing and rationalization, quitting was a breeze. I had cravings, sure, but I didn't get sweats, angry, headaches, or any of the other symptoms that are commonly attributed to quitting.

Unfortunately, I have started the habit up again.. but I'm going to give it another shot. Tired of wasting my money and health on something that doesn't do me a bit of good! Good luck to everyone else struggling out there. (I'll give you a good tip that helped me.. if you're like me and smoke a lot in the car.. driving to and from work, etc.. have something like a pen handy to play with to satisfy that habitual urge to be holding something.. I know sounds kind of silly but it really does help take your mind off of your craving).

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Another awesome thread*
tot he creator.
Im a pack a day smoker here msyelf. marlboros aka cowboy killers* 34 now, been smoking since i was 18. Both my parents have died, because fo smokingm both only in thie late 50's* stage 4 lung cancer, when discovered. Ive tried to quit smoking about 3 times, over the pat 12 years...I coudnt becuase ide always meet a woman interested in me, 2 ro 3 months later, who smoked* got me goin again. hardest part for me,w as passing 4 days* For 4 days i looked like i belonged in a hopsitiol, as my body responded to needing that nicotine, and me fighting it, keeping mentaly focused and positive on things like work, music, bettering my life..once i make it over that 4 day mark everything seems to level out. 4 days is only days, but for a smoker like us, its an eternity!
nicotine is supposed to be 5 times more addictive than heroin, so its said. ive lost alot of weght because of cogarrettes, faster metabolism* personally, i think cigarretttes should be outlawed..my fathers mother got lung caner too late 80;s, died, when i was a kid, my good freinds grandmother got emphasima.shed sit on her sofa with an oxygen mask on..smoking was the culprit*
its an addicition, like any drug...the hard part is, getting over that hump, of yuor brain needing that nicotine.l.yes it makes you feel OH SO GOOD, yes it does, im not sure if its hte chemicals in the coggs that make yuo crave more and more to go through a packl a day, the nicotine itself, combination? that tricks yuor brain, or yuor bodys tolerances to need more*
The answer, in my opinion, is to be prepaired mentally to finally do this quit smoking. Without being motivated, you aint gunna make it. make it 4 days, fight it in moderation and dont look back. take it day by day and realize and allow yuor body to repair itself, and stay on that track! no matter what,.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i just hung out with my chainsmoking grandma and smoked myself sick. havent touched one since.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
HMMM well for what its worth..i actually thought about doing this! but i heard and read its very dangerous...
My grandfather, when he was akid, growing up in the 1910's, told me one day he smoked a cigg. His father found out, and got so angry at him, his father made him eat the entire pack of ciggs, till he was throwing up. My gradnfather told me manyt iems, thats what got him to never ever touch another cigg again in his lif. He had a stomach ache for days, a stomach ache that yuode never forget the rest fo yuor life* hey it worked for him! lol

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
thanks , red and thanks , stan , for the u2u's. I just sent you guys this and then realized that I think I can actually post this on the thread. I'm not infringing on any rule by posting just this one section. And everyone needs to read this.

Niacin’s action on the lungs of a smoker or ex-smoker is very exciting. I believe that
Niacin, if used in the right manner has the power to clear the lungs of tar and toxins
in a very short amount of time. This leads to their fast healing and repair. Another
benefit is on the heart as Niacin also cleans out blocked arteries which have been
caused by smoking.
What is known about Niacin?
• Nicotinic Acid (Niacin) is the mirror image molecule of Nicotine. For
this reason it gets rid of cravings for cigarettes easily. Just by taking it once
or twice a day cravings can be eased significantly. Now think about it for a
minute. By using nicotine patches or gum you continue your body’s addiction
to nicotine. This means your withdrawal process is longer and so you have
more time to relapse. It is easier to quit smoking for 1 month than for 2
because you only have to stay strong for 1 month. After 2 months you
become weak again and have a smoke… So if you use nicotine patches you
need to stay strong for many, many months. Yes it may be easier to resist
smoking at the start but after a few months you are still addicted to nicotine
and you must stay strong to resist smoking for a few more months. Niacin is
the antidote!! Instead of taking nicotine you give your body Niacin. When
someone gets bitten by a snake, they take the antidote (which always has
some relationship with the poison) and they are saved. The same is true with
Niacin. It is strongly related to Nicotine as it is the mirror image on a
molecular level and it has the opposite action on the body in many ways. Just
taking Niacin every 3 - 4 hours will destroy cravings. Instantly quitting
becomes easy!!!
• Niacin is known to be one of the most powerful Cholesterol treating
drugs in the world. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is a type of Cholesterol.
When LDL accumulates inside the arteries it can oxidize which causes
inflammation and triggers some changes that lead to immune cells and blood
clotting proteins entering the arteries where they turn into a sticky substance
called plaque. Build ups of plaque block the arteries and lead to blood clots
and heart attack.
Smoking has been found to increase the oxidation of LDL. Niacin can and
dose decrease LDL Cholesterol and at the same time increases your “good
cholesterol” high-density lipoprotein (HDL). Nicotine increases bad cholesterol
and lowers good cholesterol while Niacin does the opposite. Here we see
clearly that Niacin does the opposite to nicotine. Due to all the years of
smoking your blood vessels have become clogged with plaque. As soon as
you start taking niacin your arteries and blood vessels will start being cleared
out.
• Niacin opens blood vessels wider. In fact this increase can be quite large,
between 2 and 3 times their normal width for small blood vessels. The effect
of this is a huge increase in blood flow which is most beneficial to very small
blood vessels called capillaries. Some capillaries such as those near the skin
or those around the lungs are so small that blood cells can only go through
one at a time. In fact the smallest capillaries are often blocked completely
and blood cells cannot fit through. As Niacin expands the capillaries and blood
vessels the flow of blood is increased dramatically and can cause a flushing of
the skin which is caused by the increase in blood flow. As the blood flows
through previously clogged arteries the waste products and toxins present are
released into the bloodstream and therefore processed out of the body. Here
again we see clearly the opposite effect to nicotine. Smoking reduces
circulation and restricts blood vessels while niacin increases blood flow and
expands blood vessels. That’s exactly what you need to begin clearing your
lungs of tar and toxins…
• Cardiovascular problems such as triglyceride levels, strokes and heart
attacks are all significantly reduced with niacin. This has been studied in
clinical trials and was found to be substantiated numerous times. Nicotine
does the opposite! Nicotine increases triglyceride levels and the chance of
strokes and heart attacks.
• A shortage of niacin may cause symptoms such as canker sores,
depression, diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, halitosis, headaches, indigestion,
insomnia, limb pains, loss of appetite, low blood sugar, muscular weakness,
skin eruptions, and inflammation. In fact all of these symptoms from lack of
niacin can also be caused by overdoses of Nicotine.
The above statements can all be verified and I do not think anyone in the medical or
scientific industry would deny their truth. If anyone does disagree please let me
know. The purpose here was to show some general points that seem to be agreed
upon and widely known.
I am sure you can see from the above the possible benefits from taking niacin. The
truth is that by simply taking Niacin your cravings for nicotine will be reduced
significantly which makes quitting smoking EASY. Another effect is that the Niacin
increases blood flow and actually flushes out toxins. It can often be felt very tangibly
and you may actually feel like you have been smoking due to the Niacin Flush. This
also makes it much easier to quit because you feel like you have been smoking when
you haven’t which reduces cravings. Your lungs may also feel quite sick as a result of
the toxins being flushed out which will reduce your desire to smoke!!!
Niacin truly is the Antidote!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Everybody has their different hangups with smoking addiction and triggers. Here are some notes I made that helped me to quit:

First, and in retrospect this became much more important than I had anticipated, I made an irrefutable ultimatum.

Quit smoking or quit breathing.

See, theres no backing out of that one because either way I'm all done with smoking!

Second I made a list of all the reasons to quit. I had a LOT of reasons, and I referenced them often whenever a wave of "come on man, just light one up and relax".

Third I made an affirmation: "I'm not a smoker" Thats it. Simple. And whenever I was freaking out in my head about want want want a cigarette, I would say "wait a minute, I'm not a smoker, why do I want a cigarette?". I used this a lot the first couple of days.

Fourth I didn't quit cold turkey. The physical ramifications of a complete withdrawal from an steady supply of nicotine are excruciatingly painful, and not necessary to quit smoking in my opinion. I simply, and very diligently, backed off of how much smoke I inhaled. First I cut back on the amount of cigarettes per days, from 5 on monday, 3 on tuesday. Then I backed off on how much of a cigarette I smoked, wednesday I milked 2 cigarettes by only taking one or two puffs every 2 to 3 hours. Thursday I only had one and I only hit it a few times because I wasn't really craving any more, it was more mental by this point.

Friday no smoke, and so far just one piece of nicorette gum to get me through the day.

The mental part is rough. There are smoking triggers everywhere, and I still find myself planning things around smoke breaks, but this is where I run through those first 3 steps again and void out the triggers. Waves of depression and anxiety come over me and at first I was trying to ignore this part, but later on I discovered that it's better to stop everything and focus directly on how I feel and determine why I feel that way. Then come up with an answer of why that got triggered and why it's just an illusion because a. I'm not a smoker, and b. I'm not a smoker. Get the f$%& over it, I tell myself.

The only one that still gets me is the sadness. This one hits me like a ton of bricks every time and it's hard to deal with because I'm missing something and I don't really have a replacement. I'm trying not to find a replacement either because I really don't need one. I have plenty to do so I'm just trying to stay busy more and NOT get into sucking on candy, or chewing on sticks to make up for my loss.

I do go out on smoke breaks and just walk around outside. It seems to help me focus, always has. But I don't see any reason to smoke out there anymore.

So I kinda put my self into a catch 22 with my quitting smoking. It's a challenge, but it's also kind of like a game... one that I can keep playing for as long as I want because I can breathe!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I quit smoking this past May. I had been a smoker since the age of 17. I am now 33. I had a cardiac arrest in May due to an arithmea. Bam! I dropped dead. Was brought back by CPR and the Paddles. While I was in the hospital I said no more smoking for me. That was it. Cold Turkey. I feel sooo much better now. I love being a non smoker. I can't stand the smell of cigarettes anymore. I am so embarrassed by the way I used to smell. I was smoking a pack and a half to two packs a day. I always had a cigarette in my mouth when I was outside. But thank God I am free of it now. It was so easy to quit. I guess dying scared me out of the habit.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
thanks OP and all for a nice thread, it encouraged me to try and stop too, i just went digging around and found free pdf of Alan's Karr 'Easy way to stop smoking' book, mentioned earlier in this thread

lets read and see how it goes..

nerukom.googlepages.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
To the OP -

I gave a certain something up around 9 weeks ago, Im not gonna say what though

For me it was cold turkey and I believe this to be the only way, forget the gimmicks, the things that are supposedly there to aid in the giving up process. Although some may help I guess..

It all come's down to will power and a big change of habit, there is one habit I cannot kick due to the fact I enjoy it so much, yes its the fags! I roll my own, for one its cheaper and also minus the chemicals.

I have smoked since I was eleven a fact which repulses me ( Im 5.2 in height, Im sure I stunted my growth ) and even though I say I enjoy smoking I dont enjoy the smell on my hair, clothes and so on...

Smoking is my only vice ( apart from the occasional drink ) and could well end up being my last for the reason's I mention above! I will kick it! One day....

Strength to give up,
Strength to give in,

Strength to let go,
Strength from WITHIN....

A little poem I made up when I was struggling with certain area's of my life which made me think about strength's and weaknesses.

Take up something new, something you wouldn't normally do, find some new distractions...

I hope you do it, all the best

Edit to say - Sorry If I killed your thread, it seem's whenever I post, the thread just dies.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Beauty_HairyBeast]

[edit on 27-10-2009 by Beauty_HairyBeast]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
Thanks for the info , op. As an amateur student of natural/holistic remedies I have come across a lot of information about , well everything really. I've spent tens of thousands of hours reading about herbs. I tell you this because what I have learned could save your life. Do a google search on Niacin. There are two kinds. The most common is non-flush Niacin. You don't want that. You want the regular kind. It is called Niacin and it has a flushing effect on the body. Literally, like when someone is embarassed or turned on or even sunburn there is a red tone to the skin if you are a lighter skinned person. This herb repairs lung damage, mate. It reverses what you have done to them within a four to six month period. U2u me if you would like more info about how to use it. I got the info from a book and it is illegal I think to post the author's Niacin remedy. Ask me about the dosage and the milligrams if you are interested. Niacin is a very potent herb and you can get sick if you take too much of it.
Also the Native Americans used to smoke something called Mullein. They used to smoke it mixed in with their tobacco. It has healing affects on the pulmonary system through increasing blood flow through the capillaries and it does something to those little hairs on your lungs so they don't get coated in tar. Tobacco was not as deadly when mixed with Mullein. I theorize that the Native Americans were less affected by the harmful effects of tobacco because of the mullein. Mullein can be taken in capsule form. The most potent form is made by the company Nature's Sunshine Products. (I do not work for NSP or make any money whatsoever from their company) And mullein will repare your lungs just the way Niacin will but it's safer. It will just take longer. The reason I've studied so much about it is because I am also a smoker. And when I am able to there is also something else I enjoy smoking. Which is why I know the little bit that I do about this stuff. To limit the damage that I'm doing. Hope that helps you, bro. And good job with quitting. Admirable.

Never knew that about Niacin ...I only knew it was good for helping pass drug tests possibly....( I'm not encouraging drug use ).....

Many foods contain Niacin naturally....peanut butter I believe has a good amount but I had no clue it helped repair lung damage..

I don't smoke cigs...

I did like 6-8 years ago in highschool ..I was just a social smoker but would buy my own packs...then one day I was just like I don't want to smoke....and i didn't have one for 2.3 years.....

Since then I'll have one occasionally out with friends at the bar.....but after having one I usually regret it....I can't stand the way my fingers smell afterwords...

Anyways good luck to all that are trying to conquer the addiction.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as my mom smokes and has since she was 16.....not a lot anymore...maybe 3 a day.....but still any info I can give her is welcome.....

Thanks for posting this thread and hopefully it will inspire others to quit....

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I recently quit smokin after 20 years. I did about 12 month on nicotine gum.
Once my wife stopped 3 month ago I finally knocked the gum on the head.
Hardest thing I have ever done. I really did love a smoke. Respect to anyone who manages to quit, it really is hard. If anyone needs needs any support just ask. Just typin this makes me want to spark one up, I wont though, I could not go through the pain again.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Beauty_HairyBeast

beauty , you gave up the wrong one
! the other one actually has alkalizing properties for the human body. since you are trying to quit cigarettes I would suggest reading the parts on this thread about niacin. and the reason for that is because the second part which is posted describes how quickly cravings are reduced when taking flushing Niacin. I went back on it today after re-reading the info and my cravings for cigarettes have already diminished. The ones I have smoked today taste like ass which is a great thing because I've always loved the taste of tobacco.. This niacin is going to get me off of these damn things. I'll make a thread about it once I'm done so more people will know about it. It should do it for anyone. Niacin is the atomic oppositte of nicotine. It is destroying my cravings and making the cigarettes taste awful. It could very well help you to end this last of your vices.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

Hi, that is some very interesting info you have posted! I had a quick look on the web but I dont like the sound of some of the side effects of niacin as my immune system has been very weak for the last couple of years - I couldnt risk it.
However the other one, muellin? ( is that the correct spelling? ) may be a more viable option for me and I will look into it further.

Thanks very much and good luck with giving up.

[edit on 28-10-2009 by Beauty_HairyBeast]

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Personally I Love me fags used to be able to light up a fag on a bus down the pub in the cafe anywhere infact .Now though its illegal Now we have the fag police handing out fines and closing down businesses.its really unbelievable.I went shopping the other day and this lady from the fag police with a little table and a pile of leaflets had the gall to ask me if I wonted help quitting. No thanks I said I enjoy smoking!
Having said this I really wish those who wont to give it up the best of luck

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Beauty_HairyBeast

I'm glad it was helpful info for you. The niacin does have very powerful side effects. I agree that the mullein would be better for you from what you've written. It is safe and gentle.

posted on Nov, 1 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
10 years smoke free this past July 26th.

Quit for 2 years the first time, cold turkey, but a traumatic experience put me back on them. Smoked for a few more years, tried various ways to quit, patches, gum, cold turkey again, then when my son was conceived, decided it was time, and got a prescription of Zyban. Don't know if they make it anymore, but there's probably something out there with the same active ingredient.

The drug put a major blanket over the cravings, which was the hurdle I couldn't get past on my own. The zyban made it so easy it felt like cheating. It did give my anxiety for a couple days though, that was weird. I now feel very sorry for people who suffer with chronic anxiety, that must SUCK!

10 years later, no problemo. I'll help myself to a second hand smoke on occasion though.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join