It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My battle with cigarettes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
So, I turned 29 at the end of August. Realizing that if I didn't quit smoking now I probably never would, I decided to give it another honest shot. I have been a pack a day(minimum) smoker since I was 16. I smoked 1st thing in the morning, after every meal, everytime I got into my truck, everytime I got out of my truck, everytime I exited a mall, grocery store or movie theater, everytime I had a drink, everytime I won a hand of poker,everytime I lost a hand of poker, sometimes I had a smoke to celebrate the smoke I just had before lol.

I have made 2 previous attempts to quit. Once I tried using nicotine gum, It tastes awful and it didn't satisfy my cravings. The next time I tried with the gum and nicotine inhaler, the gum still sucked and the inhaler was worse.

This time I tried with the nicotine patch it's a 3 step system over the course of 8 weeks. The first phase is 1-21mg patch everyday for 4 weeks, then 14mg patch for 2 weeks and then 7 mg patch for 2 final weeks. I used the Life brand patch because its about 30% cheaper than name brand Nicoderm. I'm not sure if this brand is available in America, but in Canada it is available at Shoppers Drug Mart.

The first 4 days were by far the hardest. While the patch killed the cravings somewhat, the habit was really hard to break. I was very fidgety, agitated, downright bitchy really. I tried to take my mind off of it by watching lots of movies. So those first days were spent trapped in my basement or at the local cineplex. I was frightened to go to any convenience stores cuz I thought I might cave in. Also, I really enjoy smoking it has been a prt of my life for so long that it is hard for me or my friends and family to picture myself without them.

After the 1st 4 days though it became easier, like surprizingly easy. I simply did not crave the cigs anymore, and the habit itself was nearly broken, I felt awesome.

So over the course of the following 7 weeks I was weaned off the smokes by the surrogate, LIfe Brand Nic patches, and I'm very happy to report that I have been off the patch now for several days with no urges to smoke.

I thought I'd post this to inspire other ATSers to quit, also I wanted people who are interested in quitting to know that the patch really works, for me anyways. ANd I really prefer it to the gum or the inhaler.

I realize however tha tmy battle against cigs will likely last the rest of my life, and temptation will often lurk around every corner so I know I will have to be strong.

I do not currently, nor have I ever been employed or compensated by Life brand nic patches.

One strange side effect of the patch is that I had vivid, awful nightmares when I accidentally wore the patch to sleep. So do not wear the patch to sleep ATS.

EDit to add:
I would also like to hear from other ATSers who have quit or tried to quit, what supplements or strategies they used and how successful they were.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by red_leader]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm also a smoker and I understand what your going through. I've tried quitting cold turkey and made it alot farther that way than with any other way. I need to try to quit too because of how much the things are costing these days. Good luck!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by red_leader

I was just looking at the sites. Smoker's Outlet, Little Brown Smoke Shop, Pipes and Cigars.

I roll my own. I guess I have smoked about 150,000 hand rolled cigarettes. Mostly Tops, Bugler, Kite. Withe the tax increase I am going to have to be clever to avoid paying a bundle.

Two blends from D&R Tobacco remain shags. They are Ryback and Three Sails. Ryback is like Drum and Three sails is like Bali Shag (Red).

Anyway, for this month the credit card is maxed out. But will order some soon. I like hand rolled cigarettes. Take care.

[edit on 26-10-2009 by total newbie]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by booggyman111

Have u tried the patch?? I made this thread to encourage smokers to try it. It worked 4 me. I am 2 months cig free. The longest time ever in my adult life.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
control the cig, dont let it control u.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Havent tried the patch. Might have to now tho. Thanks for the info!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I smoked for ten years and walked away a year ago cold turkey. What I did was probably unorthrodox but it worked. I drank a half gallon of Evan and smoked twice the ammount I usually did. The next day my body was so poisoned that I could not shake it off like I did when I was younger. Have not touched the smokes since. I'm 33.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

'Scuse my ignorance, but what is Evan?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Good luck in your efforts!
I am recently 50 and have smoked since age 13.
My parents both smoked for many years and are now free of it for the last 10 years.
None of my siblings smoke.
Changed Doctors 4-5 years ago and was immediately lectured re: smoking. On subsequent visits, the Doctor never mentioned it. When I asked why, he said that he read my chart and realized I'm only smoking 5 or less cigarettes a day, to which I added I sometimes go days without touching them. Anyway, short story is he said I don't smoke enough to warrant the nagging.
Moral: Quitting, like everything else in my life, is something I'll do when I'm good and damn ready.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The patch and this silly thing.....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

But did it work whaa?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
being a heavy smoker I've found it hard to quit by any means, gum taste bad, tried the patches but since wearing them all night and also smoking cigarettes at the same time of wearing didn't really help other than getting even more intoxicated by overuse.
I have heard results can be had from proper hypnotism sessions in stopping all cravings and ending cigarette addiction.
Also tried using meditation/hypnotic stop smoking tapes but did not work for me but know has worked for others.
I guess I will be still looking for that last puff with even one foot firmly placed in the grave.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the info , op. As an amateur student of natural/holistic remedies I have come across a lot of information about , well everything really. I've spent tens of thousands of hours reading about herbs. I tell you this because what I have learned could save your life. Do a google search on Niacin. There are two kinds. The most common is non-flush Niacin. You don't want that. You want the regular kind. It is called Niacin and it has a flushing effect on the body. Literally, like when someone is embarassed or turned on or even sunburn there is a red tone to the skin if you are a lighter skinned person. This herb repairs lung damage, mate. It reverses what you have done to them within a four to six month period. U2u me if you would like more info about how to use it. I got the info from a book and it is illegal I think to post the author's Niacin remedy. Ask me about the dosage and the milligrams if you are interested. Niacin is a very potent herb and you can get sick if you take too much of it.
Also the Native Americans used to smoke something called Mullein. They used to smoke it mixed in with their tobacco. It has healing affects on the pulmonary system through increasing blood flow through the capillaries and it does something to those little hairs on your lungs so they don't get coated in tar. Tobacco was not as deadly when mixed with Mullein. I theorize that the Native Americans were less affected by the harmful effects of tobacco because of the mullein. Mullein can be taken in capsule form. The most potent form is made by the company Nature's Sunshine Products. (I do not work for NSP or make any money whatsoever from their company) And mullein will repare your lungs just the way Niacin will but it's safer. It will just take longer. The reason I've studied so much about it is because I am also a smoker. And when I am able to there is also something else I enjoy smoking. Which is why I know the little bit that I do about this stuff. To limit the damage that I'm doing. Hope that helps you, bro. And good job with quitting. Admirable.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

5 years smoke free. I also supplemented the video with a few visits to a licensed hypnotherapists. It was the video that stimulated my interest in hypnotism. I have also used selfhypnotism to lose weight.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I deleted this post cuz it was a stupid question

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
good luck to all trying to quit

i've been 3 years smoke free myself. did it cold turkey too. once i got past the shakes and anxiety attacks, it got easy.

food tastes better, i smell nicer, overall feel better, definitely worth it.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Keep going! love hearing about folks getting off the cigs....and i don't want to bring negativity to such a positive thread...but seven weeks is not alot(mentally) you are off nicotine physically obviously...but the mental addiction can creep up when you least expect it for quite some months after you stop. From what i can tell though you have a positive attitude and i doubt it will so kudos.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by iamnot

Yes I also like that. I feel that I smell nice when I go to stores or bars or anywhere in public really.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Hi solomons, r u a smoker, did you quit? I also agree 2 months is not that long and my resolve will be tested on a daily basis.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Right on Red Leader!! Grats, I'm also a smoker and have tried to quit a couple of times, but never tried the patch. I think I might give it a try
Just not looking forward to the first 4 days.

Really good job man, I know how hard it is to quit.

[edit on 10/26/2009 by JohnnyR]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join