It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lord Stern : Give Up Meat to save the Earth!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Al Gore is not alone.
Save the Earth!

Lord Stern: Giving us direction
Stay away from my steakhouse!

[edit on 26-10-2009 by Eurisko2012]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Ahh so lord sterns agenda is now crystal clear,he wants to take away all my meat and turn me into a vegetable! Not on my watch Mr!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Propaganda. There is PLENTY of land and resources for everyone who wants to eat meat. America exports billions of dollars worth of food every year anyways. Now animal cruelty related to cows, pigs, and chickens is an entirely different issue as is sustainable agricultural practices.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Hmm..... I wonder what Lord Stern's lifetime Carbon footprint is compared to the average British subject?

Maybe he should do us all a favor and he should "distribute" his wealth to his fellow citizens.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.... that one hurt my side.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
UN figures suggest that meat production is responsible for about 18 per cent of global carbon emissions, including the destruction of forest land for cattle ranching and the production of animal feeds such as soy.

On average, a British person eats 50g of protein derived from meat each day — the equivalent of a chicken breast or a lamb chop. This is a relatively low level for a wealthy country but between 25 per cent and 50 per cent higher than the amount recommended by the World Health Organisation.

This has got to stop!! Who are these idiots?? Meat is concentrated vegetables!!
These people & their lies MUST be stopped!!
Stern? Stern? Any relation to Howard? Might explain him being a little off.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Hmm..... I wonder what Lord Stern's lifetime Carbon footprint is compared to the average British subject?

Maybe he should do us all a favor and he should "distribute" his wealth to his fellow citizens.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH.... that one hurt my side.

Did you read Lord Stern admits he is not a vegetarian?
Sound familiar?
Do as i say. Not as i do.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
uuummmm...........Let me think on this one.

Yeah, ok, I am ready to answer now.

Ah, NO.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
There are a whole bunch of reasons why it would be a good idea for people to reduce the amount of meat they eat, or eliminate it altogether. Excessive meat consumption is bad for your health and bad for the environment. Never mind global warming, I'm talking about polluting the ground water and air, decimating forests, cramming animals together so that diseases flourish, and so on. Cholesterol, obesity, you get my drift.

We could improve our quality of life and our earth, by cutting down on the meat. You really don't need a huge slab of meat every day. A little bit of meat in a dish is just fine. You get your protein, without clogging your arteries.

Why do you think we've got problems with swine flu and avian flu, SARS, and so on? Farm factories where animals are crowded together in unsanitary conditions, causing any illness to sicken thousands of these animals, and then pass on to us.

We simply don't need to eat as much meat as most of us (in the US, anyway) do.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I think the planet Earth is following its own geological clock.
All of the people on Earth are just along for the ride.
All of us giving up meat would change nothing at all.

Lord Stern can just dream on..................................

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
For a number of reasons including:

- Local pollution
- Methane emissions (although engineering could turn this into an advantage for energy production)
- Inefficient use of land and earth resources (water, crops for animal food which could have been used for human-grade food, etc) compared to plantations of meat substitutes.
- Health benefits
- etc.

I agree that a reduction (not elimination) of the personal amount of meat intake should be encouraged. But not enforced.

[edit on 2009-10-27 by Shirakawa]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

The Obama version would probably be go ahead and eat meat but
you will have to pay a $750 fine every year.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
There are a whole bunch of reasons why it would be a good idea for people to reduce the amount of meat they eat, or eliminate it altogether.

You do realize that without our anscestors eating meat when they climbed out of trees that we wouldn't be here now, right? The addition of meat to our diet enabled out brains to grow to the size it has, grains alone would not have done that.

Also the cultivation of rice in long ago times resulted in a marked increase in methane due to farming in rice paddies. I just read a report on those findings a little while ago.

The main problem is we are too smart now and can sustain far too many humans on this planet. And the number is growing....got a solution for that?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
dbl post sry

[edit on 27-10-2009 by pavil]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Factory farming is something we should be worried about i agree .I love my meat so i'll sacrifice a little health to get some pleasures in life. Meat farming ie grown will take off within the next 20 years i imagine.Couple that with vertical vegetable/fruit growing and i think our food production will easily meet the amount we need without environmental impact to think about. Eating meat is getting more expensive for me these days as i have completely stopped fast foods etc . All the meat i buy is good quality and i know where it came from,plus what conditions it was raised in. Like i said,factory style farming is a menace and not something people should support.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Isn't protein essential for mental reasoning?
I heard that some cults intentionally deny members protein
in order to control them.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613

Why do you think we've got problems with swine flu and avian flu, SARS, and so on? Farm factories where animals are crowded together in unsanitary conditions, causing any illness to sicken thousands of these animals, and then pass on to us.

We simply don't need to eat as much meat as most of us (in the US, anyway) do.

Um Avian Flu :- as soon as swine became big, the powers that be told us that Avian flu was not a major issue as it struggle to gestate in colder climbs.

Sars :- Another flash in the pan, seemed nasty but when was the last time anyone mentioned sars ????

Swine flu :- Here in the UK most cases of swine fle are not even confirmed, you ring the help line say yes to maybe 4-5 of the symptoms and hey presto you get a number to call for tamiflu, but the figure goes down as a swine flu case. So alot of the so called swine flu cases might be nothing more than a heavy cold or seasonal flu.

Yes farming animals so close together is a bad thing but lets face it, it is driven by profit and greed, so as long as the rich people see good returns on their investments the world governments will not want to see an end to it.

With a bit of research the last mentioned case I found of SARS was 30th April 2004.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by colec156]

[edit on 27-10-2009 by colec156]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So, I'm curious.
Why are people so against giving up meat anyway?
I've stopped for four months now and i've never felt better!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

I know the uk phone up scheme regarding swine flu was absolutely ridiculous,basically give the operators with no medical background a checklist and if you meet them you get tamiflu which is far more expensive than drugs that do the same,only cuts down the time of your recovery and has many side effects. I would hate to see how many misdiagnosis were made. Probably never will though.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by colec156

I know the uk phone up scheme regarding swine flu was absolutely ridiculous,basically give the operators with no medical background a checklist and if you meet them you get tamiflu which is far more expensive than drugs that do the same,only cuts down the time of your recovery and has many side effects. I would hate to see how many misdiagnosis were made. Probably never will though.

The truth on numbers will never be known, I think when the UK govt give out their numbers on swine flu, the numbers given act as a tool of propaganda, to make you worry, panic and even maybe take up the swine flu vaccine with out knowing the full story on it.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
So, I'm curious.
Why are people so against giving up meat anyway?
I've stopped for four months now and i've never felt better!

I stopped eating meat for a while, I felt no difference at all.
I'm not against people giving up meat, it is their choice.
I don't want to give meat up as I enjoy it as part of my diet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join