It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has being on ATS changed your mindset?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hello to you all

I've been here since early 2008 and when I joined I was quite naive at the existence of UFOs and Aliens, believing our world governments had regular contact with them.

However after seeing a lot of sceptics shoot down those theories or disclosure dates are not met I keep sliding towards the 'if they exist, show me proof' mindset however I still believe in the existence of extraterrestrial life life just not in our solar system though I do know who is a charltant and money grabber and whom is telling the truth.

Anyone had this experience?

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I find that this forum, no offense to the people how inhabit it, attracts not only skeptics and legitimate, open minded people but also allowd the far end of the spectrum. People who would rather insult than refute the evidence and people who will believe anything that other people don't.

Myself, I believe in UFOs with 100% certainty, although it is not the result of this forum. I've mostly done my own research using the interwebz and library and I have come to the conclusion that not only are UFOs real, people are being abducted aswell.

Do not let the mentalities or motivations of the people here sway you. Investigate yourself and come to your own conclusions.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Yes it has. Being in Corrections I have poor view of rapists and pedophiles. I thought these people should be put to death so as to not get out again. There was a member that put forth that this might actually be curable with methods we don't have now. Changed my perspective. We'll see.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Yes it has. Being in Corrections I have poor view of rapists and pedophiles. I thought these people should be put to death so as to not get out again. There was a member that put forth that this might actually be curable with methods we don't have now. Changed my perspective. We'll see.

I do admit everyone who has committed an unspeakable crime deserves redemption, however like most cases the proof is in the pudding.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yes, when it comes to the subject of Aliens/UFO's I've learned that the most of the "proof" turns out to be hoaxes and fakes.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by diamount

No it hasn't changed my mindset but maybe I'm not a long enough member on ATS.

I can see what you mean and indeed there's a lot of hoaxes being spread all over the web considering UFO's and / or Aliens.

Of course I would like some disclosure and I want it NOW
The reality is that it still can take a while for governments stick together in going public about some issues they kept hidden and even lied about for so long.

One of the main problems is economics and technical industry, both have much to lose when disclosure will come. It's all about (global) Power.

The more hoaxes I read about and see, the more I ask myself WHY people do that. Maybe because some are bored, like to pull some legs here or there or maybe just to disinform for a purpose.

The more I read about ALL kinds of info on ATS, the more I try to put things together, connecting the dots so to say

The longer it takes to disclose important info to the public, the more CONVINCED I become that somewhere there must be some truth in stories about UFO´s - aliens.

We (humanity) haven´t been told shxt because others decide(ded) for us not to tell. We have been treated like little childeren and fooled by people in high positions. Officials that should work for and decide for the BENEFIT of humanity.

IF my mindset even will change in the future, it guess I will harden in my believe of UFO´s and possible alien life.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Not really, my underlying mindset stays the same. Going to ATS to me is about adding to the pool of knowledge rather than about finding proof.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It has only confirmed what I already know, and that is there are people out there that will believe in anything, facts be damned. Never mind logic, reason and common sense. Those are the most dangerous people I know. Shame there are so many of them, but this subject does tend to attract that type.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Echoing IgnoreTheFacts. The motto is blatantly ignored.

As for me, I lurked here for a long time before I actually joined and started posting, and I was a believer before I saw what it actually took to be one. This place turned me 180.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
"Has being on ATS changed your mindset?"

YES!

I, Now have conclusive proof of bombs at WTC 1,2 and 7, on September 11 2001.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have learned that most of what is posted here is subjective and that to post in haste is to step into a minefield. To believe in haste without reading both sides of the debate is doing me a disservice never mind the UFO community and being a part of ATS has in a strange way, opened my eyes.

I find it puzzling that before I registered I was much more gullible but intelligent debate from both sides of the spectrum have helped me to keep an open mind. I have also been forced to raise the bar and expect foul play but always this expectation is balanced with the hope of one day I will see the truth exposed and irrefutable.

I believe that If irrefutable evidence about UFO’s breaks - and I expect it will, the news will break on ATS first!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Not really it hasn't changed me much.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Initially, this forum helped open my eyes to a range of possibilities. There are people on this forum dead set on both side of any given issue. I've learned over time if someone is dead set on their opinion they are discredited immediately as not open minded. Even people with facts, they have obtained from "official" sources draw suspicion in my mind. I'm not here for facts. I am here for the truth. I can get facts from official sources.

According to official sources:

There are no aliens.

UFO's are primarily peoples imagination or natural phenomena.

Government shoots straight with the people and have no ulterior motivations.

NASA knows everything about the known solar system unless they say they haven't discovered it yet.

There is a terrorist around every corner and everyone needs to be monitored to be protected.

There are no conspiracies, everything is on the up and up.

Colleges really teach people the truth about everything and help people to critically think, using the facts of other college educated people.

The above are all facts and ideas have been developed around those facts. More facts are designed to support the original fact. Until we live in a system that is nearly a design of our own imagination, supported by facts that these are how the world is or has to be. We never question the foundation of the structure that created the system of facts. So, this site, has opened my eyes that well intentioned people are duped by their own arrogance and blind search for truth using system supported facts.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy

Not really, my underlying mindset stays the same. Going to ATS to me is about adding to the pool of knowledge rather than about finding proof.

I STRONGLY agree with this statement

It is interesting how the word 'skeptic' is used on ATS. It is almost a sin to be a skeptic - its like calling someone racist, or something - very amusing.

One thing I would like to see more of, not just on ATS - is skepticism. Just stop believing stuff - all kinds of stuff - ask questions, and question without bias.

There is an area where I have been illuminated by ATS - it is peoples steadfast ability to hold onto a single view, and refuse to accept alternative thought. On any other site I would take it in my stride, but this is supposed to be a site devoted to questions and critical thinking.

When I see the number of people who 'have all the answers for everything' and know the 'truth' or 'believe' - well, that is fairly mind expanding.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

Being skeptic means you ask questions and don't believe something immediately. What I see on these boards from "skeptics" mostly is harsh abusive criticism of an idea or thought. That isn't being skeptic, it's being an A-Hole.

It's really unfortunate that real skeptics, think when the word "skeptic" is tossed out it applies to them. I think there are two types of skeptics. Respectful questioning skeptics that still are searching for truth no matter where it lays, and skeptics that are out to belittle an idea because hard core proof is not presented therefore the discussion is moot in that skeptics mind.

I enjoy this site for the conversation in hashing out ideas and possibilities. It is distracting for someone to poo-poo an idea out of the blue with a simple one or two line response.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This site has not changed my mind yet when it comes to UFOs or aliens. What I mean by that is that I am still skeptical that extraterrestrial beings visit or visited Earth or that they have contacts with the major governments of the world. Seeing how governments fail at keeping secrets one would assume that some sort of conclusive evidence would have slipped from their hands a long time ago. In addition, if aliens visit us so often as some people here claim then it makes me wonder why their existence is so hidden to BILLIONS of people around the world; they could quite easily make themselves visible to everyone around the world with no problems if this was true.

However, this does not mean that I don't believe extraterrestrials exist out there. I am pretty positive they are out there somewhere, probably asking the same things we ask ourselves. (A belief backed up by no concrete evidence or objective facts, you might say this is the only belief based on faith and intuition that I have, as well as the belief in infinite dimension theory).

However, despite this fact, I do believe ATS has changed my form of thinking. I now question everything I learn at university, and try to separate truth from BS by using other sources such as the internet, books with different points of views, and of course what the intelligent individuals at ATS find and have to say about an issue. I would say I also improved my debating skills greatly on this site, for if I do not show any way to back up my points then I will look like an idiot

Anyway, I'm still waiting until the day ATS comes up with conclusive, undeniable evidence of extraterrestrial life so I can change my mind about aliens not visiting us. I am pretty sure the info would come here 2-3 days before the mass media picks it up and distorts it, like it usually happens with any news

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who has contributed, keep the answers coming!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I WAS paranoid when i found the place, Im paranoid now, and Ill be paranoid for years to come... so no it hasnt changed me, just validated my paranoia

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Has being on ATS changed your mindset?

Since being here at ATS...

It has opened my mind to some subjects and topics. It has also reaffirmed some things I already believed. Finally it has exposed some subjects and topics for what they are, Bogus.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
yeah... now I'm more skeptical than before...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join