It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broken Britain? 6 Horrific Stories, One Paper's Homepage. What has Happened to Youths?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Scotlandshope

I think a lot of people on JSA would agree with you.. learning some skills rather than humiliating yourself by jumping through hoops in some Unemployment office. I did that some years ago during the last recession, it would have been nice to have had an productive alternative. It drove me nuts not having anything to do..

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Yeah there is only so many jobs you can apply for and at the present rate that new positions are coming up I'm done applying for things by wednesday :S
Its one of the main problems in our society just now , too many idle hands signing on.

I'm not berating the benefits system its doing the best it can but I just can't understand why you have to wait 6 months to go on to New Deal and have the options that entails available to you.

There is plenty of folk that are happy claiming their giro and doing nothing towards gaining employment. There needs to be more things available for those that are looking for a job though.

The people that aren't really looking for work are generally the people that are causing problems in this country (a sweeping remark I know but hey its my opinion) .

Jesus I'm almost sounding like a Tory!

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You want to know what killed Britian? The youth...pah no, thats only the result af older generations.

Not everyone of course, the majority of older people are fine, but the minority follow the papers ideas of the youth, then show an complete and utter lack of respect to the youth who no longer see any point.

I was at a restraunt with a friend the other week, we ordered our meals and were then offered a side dish which we accepted, only we no longer had our menu to see the price. The table next to us had finished with theirs though, so my friend got up to ask if he could borrow it quickly to check the price; the man instead grabbed the menu, held it close and said 'No, I'm not finished' and as soon as my friend walked away he put the menu down again. This was a man with a family, who was laughing throughout his meal, not a horrible man...yet he had no respect for the young person who politely asked to borrow a menu.

I don't like that if I walk past someone on the street at night they will stare at me to make sure I'm not about to mug them...and that if I am with a friend they might even cross the road to aovid us.

I don't like that when I walk in shops security guard will follow me around to make sure I don't steal things.

I don't like, that sections of older generations have no respect for me simply because of my age, and I can understand people who act out because of it...no I don't mean stabbing...but the loud music at night, the getting drunk all to often. They don't care if they annoy the adults because chances are the adult has no respect for them and expects it anyway.

Just to argue the other side anyway...

But the exact same crimes are committed by adults as well, they just arn't grouped together and reported, because then the journalists would be dumping themselves in with the 'trouble group'. And the exact same crimes are committed across the globe; thing is Britian is such a media heavy country it gets blown utterly out of proportion...

I was at a Green Day concert last night, I had a camera in my pocket and a £50 new greenday jacket across my chair behind me, aswell as a £10 book sitting on top of it. I was so captivated by the show I didn't even realise the whole row and moves about 3 seats closer to the stage, I wasn't even by my things any more, about 50 different people could've stolen it without ever being noticed, I was surrounded by youths who left those goods right where they were in plain sight. But thats not a good seller for the papers.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I used to live in the UK, and I can tell you things used to be different. By no means perfect, but people had more respect. I am not sure what the cause is of recent changes in the collective sense of decency.

The UK is by no means alone. I have noticed a general decline in friendliness, awareness, helpfulness and altruism in many European countries in the last 8 to 10 years that is frightening.

I hope this is not the beginning of something worse.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Oh right, plays right into the Governments hands, if they decide to send those kids overseas to another illegal war!!!!

National Service should be the last resort of any Government. Can you imagine trying to force a teenager to leave thier parents homes? There would be outcry after outcry if this did happen.

posted on Oct, 28 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

I think it was meant more along the lines of a national service that was non military.. personally getting a more community driven service, like fixing up the broken down estates, helping out in the community while given the chance to learn new skills, share the skills you have or enhance what you've got could be quite good and a positive impact on our society, rather than sitting at home learning nothing and twiddling ya thumbs which can be very isolating, depressing and very negative (well it was for me)

My last stint on the dole during the recession of the early 90's was so depressing with all the rejection letters that in the end I volunteered with a charity out of sheer desperation, since the DSS couldn't give a toss if my skills were getting so rusty and my confidence so smashed, anyway it helped me.

Now I sould like an advert for the DSS ;-) seriously I feel for the young (my own kids included) who are not being given a chance and not learning anything good in the process.

[edit on 28/10/09 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Oh right, plays right into the Governments hands, if they decide to send those kids overseas to another illegal war!!!!

National Service should be the last resort of any Government. Can you imagine trying to force a teenager to leave thier parents homes? There would be outcry after outcry if this did happen.

Did you actually read my post?
Where did I mention sending teenagers overseas to fight on the front line!
You did however make a good point , not with what you have said but rather in the sensationalist outburst of NIMBY fury that typifies the reactions of many in the U.K.

Thank you to thoughtsful at least somebody got the point I was making

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Bring back the gallows, the stocks, the cat o' nine tails for these verminous offenders

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
At a green day concert, your'e stuff was safe for one reason; No chavs.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

And if you read my post, I was referring to what would happen if National service was introduced, I was in no way criticizing you over your comment, I was just given you an example of what would happen if National service was introduced.

I am just pointing out what would happen, if those whom decide, they do not want to do national service, are they going to be branded?

You see where I am comming from?

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Laurauk]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join