It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you feel about slavery now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...
I put this in Politics because they don't appear to be supporting / fixing the problem like they should. Almost as if they had an investment in keeping it going.

A month ago a thread wanted to know how you felt about slavery and people treated it like a thing of the past. It is an ongoing problem throughout the world but no media is covering people who want to do anything about it. CNN just gave it a couple of paragraphs.

(CNN) -- Law enforcement officials arrested more than 500 people, and took custody of 48 juveniles in a coordinated 29-city weekend sweep aimed at combating child prostitution, the FBI announced Monday.

Task forces made up largely of state and local police officers arrested and booked what authorities said were 464 adult prostitutes, 55 pimps and 55 customers on state charges. While most faced local charges, a senior FBI official said he expected there were would be some federal charges as well.

The FBI Monday said 19 searches were conducted, netting a total of $438,000 in cash, plus illegal drugs, cars and computers.

The four dozen juveniles were recovered in the third phase of Operation Cross Country, an initiative that seeks to help child prostitutes and crack down on people who control them and patronize them.

In the previous coordinated operations, authorities recovered 21 alleged child prostitutes last June and 47 in October.

In 2003 the FBI, Department of Justice prosecutors, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children launched what was called the Innocence Lost National Initiative to address what had become a growing problem of children forced into prostitution. Many were young runaways.

Officials say the 32 Innocence Lost task forces formed nationwide have now recovered about 670 children in the six years, and seized more than $3 million in cash.

The most recent operation involved law enforcement agencies in several states including California, Alaska, Michigan, Georgia, Colorado, Oregon, Alabama, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Illinois, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Minnesota and Arizona.

This is America and just the tiny tip of the iceberg. This is rampant in European countries, especially (or more open in the former eastern bloc countries).

For those upset about slavery done in the past:
Let's hear you get upset about slavery done in today's world.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Doctor G

Everybody in the West is a slave. Actualyl most people in the world are slaves.

There is no greater slavery, than those who falsely believe they are free my friend.

It's a horrible thing, but the people of this world have no real interest in stopping the sex trade or feeding the poor or anything positive for that matter.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'll go with it seems like most but you can't say all since I care and want to bring back the penalty "drawn & quartered"

"Finally the condemned was beheaded and his body cut into quarters, one arm or leg to a quarter. How exactly the quartering was to be accomplished wasn't always specified, but on at least some occasions horses were hitched to each of the victim's limbs and spurred in four directions. An assistant with a sword or cleaver was sometimes assigned to make a starter cut and ease the strain on the animals. The remains were often put on display as a warning to others."

But skip the beheading.

You got a lot of the rest right.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Whether you want it or not we are all slaves to something, right now I'm a slave to this thread because your question has compelled me to answer.

I know that in 35 mins a program I like to watch will be starting so then I will give my will over to that master, come tomorrow morning I will have a new master called "work".

Slavery a few hundred years back was brutal and wrong, but I ask you this, if then they had the technology we have now wouldn't slavery be then like it is today. We still have to do chores (work) just to keep ourselves going, except nowadays you don't get whipped for making a mistake.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The history of slavery is grossly mis-taught, at least in the US! The students only learn about the African Slave trade, and quick snippets of the Underground Railroad, and then they learn a lot of false information about the Civil War resulting from it!

In reality, there were many, many types of slaves from Chinese to Irish, and nobody ever fought a war to save them, instead institutions were born to make sure they stayed enslaved even after the wars!!

637 underage prostitutes is sad, but in the grand scheme of things, I find it hard to be empathetic when hundreds or thousands of law enforcement officers were mobilized to do multiple year investigations and spend millions in research and travel to bust a couple of dozen horny johns that may or may not have known the girls were underage!

637 people make up .00021 % of the population, most were probably drug addicts or delinquents before being exploited by pimps, and most will probably return to their life, or wind up in prison anyway, BUT in the name of HEADLINES, and PC, and FEEL GOOD law enforcement, we spend millions of dollars, and countless man hours to make a miniscule impact on this controversial area???

Don't get me wrong, once in a great while, a real tragedy occurs, and it is a terribly sad thing.

I just feel that the US focuses its attention on sex crimes and drugs, because they make good TV, and re-election platforms. They could put that effort and money into solving real problems!

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie_UK

I don't understand your attitude towards this r u seriously comparing your situation to that of a child prostitute/sex slave?????????

[edit on 26-10-2009 by red_leader]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Correct,we are all a slave to something. Slavery still exists though in the traditional sense,it has not been abolished worldwide...but imo being a slave and getting a good dinner and nights sleep is better than what alot of *free* people have to go through day in day out. We should abolish the WTO and IMF...it won't remedy the situation overnight but i can bet my left pinky it will help tremendously.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by red_leader

I don't understand your attitude towards this r u seriously comparing your situation to that of a child prostitute/sex slave?????????

some peoples, even here on ATS have no empathy- just like two posters before You.
The slavery is present in so-called Modern World even more than ever-bigger population. Sure we live in the western countrie in kind of a bubble, but even here we have the forced prostitution-not only the underaged persons but even more massive forced prostitution of the illegal emigrants- the girls who often give a lot of money to be smuggled to the apparent western paradise to work in the retaurants or whatever...being without any papers make them more easy to manipulate...
Whats going on in the african, mostly muslim countries is even worse the same in many places in Asia, South America etc.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ZenOnKwalsky

Forced prostitution is rampant in eastern europe...i don't think it's as simple as saying it doesn't happen in the west.Although many people could argue eastern europe is not the west,still it inside europes domain and happening on a huge scale. Alot of these girls reach the uk and for the most part nothing is done about them...just a squiggly line in the corner of the states eye if you will.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by red_leader

Yes, they are. Drives me snakey.

I actually know many people who've "dropped out" of the "system." They do just fine. If they "opt" back in, they tend to do better.

That's not slavery. You plant more seeds in better soil, and water it you get a bigger crop more often. You plant fewer seeds and only barely pay attention, if they are the right seeds and you don't really care about just barely scraping by season to season, that works.

Comparing this to slavery is retarded.

If these poor souls who are "enslaved" want to opt out, then opt out. Stop complaining that you won't do as well by yourself. That's the way it works. You combine your work, everyone gets to enjoy the benefits of bigger things. You don't want the bigger things, then do your own thing.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You attitude is so disgusting that it doesn't just border on evil.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by ZenOnKwalsky

Forced prostitution is rampant in eastern europe...i don't think it's as simple as saying it doesn't happen in the west.Although many people could argue eastern europe is not the west,still it inside europes domain and happening on a huge scale. Alot of these girls reach the uk and for the most part nothing is done about them...just a squiggly line in the corner of the states eye if you will.

Well its not my problem what "many people " think about geografical/geopolitical classification of my part of the world, because in Poland we know who we are...apart of some remains of the red system people I consider my folks are the true descendants of the Western Culture...
I dont know about the UK in the countries like France, Italy, Holand and of course Germany forced prostitution seem to be rampant as well. Ad to it a lot of so-called "artists/entertainment workers" - the girls who get a kind of lame work permit entitling them to "dance" in so called "cabarets", "bars" etc... they pay is very often ridiculous, so having the families/ children left in they countries they are forced by the pure economy to do the prostitution, paying anyway part of they meager money to the establishments owners. Kind of hipocrysy of their part, and the countrys lawmakers first of all...

[edit on 26-10-2009 by ZenOnKwalsky]

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Slavery was a shameful piece of our nation's past.

But that's where it belongs - in the past. Who the hell cares what people think about slavery nowadays? Who keeps asking this question, Al Sharpton?

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Slavery was a shameful piece of our nation's past.

But that's where it belongs - in the past. Who the hell cares what people think about slavery nowadays? Who keeps asking this question, Al Sharpton?

There is slavery in the modern world, even in your own country. People turn a blind eye. Others claim that it is a cultural phenomena and cannot be judged by Western "standards." I guess they think it is mean and unfair.

Some things are not in the past.

The slavery of the the USA and the UK empire of the past where bad.

It is far from the only slavery to be concerned abuot.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

So let's clarify the question - what slavery are we talking about? Slavery with regard to the inhumane buying and selling of Africans on the market? Slavery with regard to prostitutes that still happens today? Slavery in general? It's a broad question.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
reply to post by Aeons

So let's clarify the question - what slavery are we talking about? Slavery with regard to the inhumane buying and selling of Africans on the market? Slavery with regard to prostitutes that still happens today? Slavery in general? It's a broad question.

I think its clear in the OP- Slavery in general, with some focus on the modern days sex slavery.
Sorry but the slavery, just like the holocaust cannot be monopolised by one etnic group...

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Doctor G

Everybody in the West is a slave. Actualyl most people in the world are slaves.

There is no greater slavery, than those who falsely believe they are free my friend.

It's a horrible thing, but the people of this world have no real interest in stopping the sex trade or feeding the poor or anything positive for that matter.

~Keeper

that is the biggest crock of sloganistic (just invented a word for you) bullSH*T I have ever read on the computer screen.

Life is sweet man --- freedom is real you just have to pay for it . . . . could be ALOT worse -- I can still smoke and drink and have a great freaking time whenever I want. You can do ALOT with this "fake freedom"

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

There is more to slavery today than forced prostitution.

Slave labour is still used today around the world. Including the use of asian slave labour by the US government for construction in Iraq.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

There are different types and degrees of slavery. What could be more horrific than the capture of children by Lords Resistance Army in N Uganda for use as soldiers and to be 'child brides'? These kids are made to kill or be killed. Sometimes it's one of their own as a 'test'.
Of course we don't interfere too much. Just like we don't in Zimbabwe. Africa is far too 'sensitive' an area and besides, where's the profit or political advantage?
Then there are the sweat shops in developing countries where people, including children (some as young as 5), make carpets and clothing for export for a pittance. Sometimes they are actually 'sold' by their own desperate parents. Some western buyers try to secure ethical sources but with varying success and despite child labour being theoretically illegal in that country.
The fact that most people don't like such practices is a given. But out of sight out of mind eh? And it's also a tad more complex that first appears.

[edit on 27-10-2009 by unicorn1]

new topics

top topics

join