It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Cities: Portlands Underground Bootleggers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The Shanghai Tunnels, also known as the Portland Underground, are a group of passages running underneath Old Town/Chinatown down to the central downtown section of Portland, Oregon.

Legend has it that from the 1850s to the early 1940's they were used to kidnap or "shanghai" unsuspecting laborers and sell them as slaves to waiting ships at the waterfront.

Portland was unique because trap doors known as "deadfalls" were used to drop the unsuspecting victims into the Portland Underground, where they were forcibly held in cells until the ship was ready to set sail.  This continued untill about 1941 and by then about 1500 people have been  
shanghaid.

The tunnels are filled with empty beer bottles, emply cages and dormant cells that used to be crammed with people ready to be sold into slavery.

I watched this a couple days ago and was wondering if anybody else found it to be interesting? Let me know what you think.
www.history.ca... 

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I live near there and never heard about them until 2007. We went on a guided tour of them as part of a Gothic Victorian Haunted Tour of Portland. It is a pretty short tour, basically covering the interconnected basement of two restaurants/pubs in downtown Portland.

It was very much what you would expect from Slave Trade. However, Shanghai'ing 1500 people over 90 years comes out to be about 16-17 people abducted a year.

I'm sure the underground Slave Trade continued since the 1940s, and has grown far more sophisticated since...accounting for far more than 16-17 people being abducted a year.

Still, it's a dark spot on Americana. They say they are haunted, however in the 40 minutes in that dark and dirty cellar, I didn't see anything to indicate such.

new topics

join