It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cross

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If they had guillotined Jesus, stoned him or knifed him would people wear a guillotine, a stone or a knife around their neck as a necklace or put it on the top of a church? The cross is a murder weapon, it is a sign of victory over Christ.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think we over use the term "what if" these days(I know you didnt SAY it, but its the same) Thats just it- he didnt die by any other way than the cross. That was gods plan. God didnt tell people- "You must wear a cross to show your a christian" It was gods plan that Jesus die on the cross. And no, to answer your question I dont think we'd be wearing knives and guillotines and stones as symbols.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
TekNo's correct. It didn't happen in any other way but the crucifiction which was foretold in the old testament. So I guess it's a mute point regarding what we would wear.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

TextThe cross is a murder weapon, it is a sign of victory over Christ.

Well actually the cross is more ancient than christianity and jesus, one of the first crosses was a pagan cross showing the round orb of god's sun on the cross. Some older churches still use this pagan cross. And some speculate that jesus was not cruxify on a cross shape but and x shape. So this make the victory over christ not so true I guess. ( this is all speculation)

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LEO J
it is a sign of victory over Christ.

It is my opinion that Christians view the cross as Christ's victory over death. If he hadn't been killed, he would never have been resurrected.

I don't know what would take the place of the cross if he had been killed by some other method. I seem to remember people wearing replica nails though, especially after Mel Gibson's 'Passion' movie came out.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The symbol of the Cross is 3,000 years older than Jesus is and it was first used by the Ancient Egyptians.

The whole Christian religion is based on Jesus dying on the cross so that is why they wear crosses around their neck- gold, silver, and platinum crosses.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Didn't Romans use other means of crucifictions, rather than just a cross? An 'X' for example. I remember reading that somewhere.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Didn't Romans use other means of crucifictions, rather than just a cross? An 'X' for example. I remember reading that somewhere.

And the stake...

BTW, Jehovah's Witnesses firmly believe Jesus died on a stake and not a cross claiming Christianity was tainted by hardcore roots of paganism...

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
What if he was quartered by a horse or trown in the arena and eaten by lions. What would we do then :@

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

TextDidn't Romans use other means of crucifictions, rather than just a cross? An 'X' for example. I remember reading that somewhere.

Yes they did, but I quite dont remember went they turned into a cross I know I have some info on it but I will have to search for it.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Who knows what people would be wearing now, its all inaccurate anyway. The Romans didn't use "crosses" as defined by the Catholic church, they crucified people on a "Tau" similar to a cross but without the top piece, it was shaped like a "T" .

And as others have illuded the "cross" symbol as well as many others such as the "swastica", "star of david" etc. are thousands of years older than the groups which currently receive credit for them.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
the cross is about Jesus dying for the sins of the world. taking mankinds place for the punishment of its sins.
at jesus's death that was victory over satan because without it there would be no reserection!

guess it depends on how u look at it

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
When I was growing up and went to sunday school, I was told that it wasnt really a cross, but a tree, and that the cross was just used symbolically. *shrug*

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Leo, has a good point.

The cross as a piece of wood means nothing.

Didn't Jesus tell his followers to go to Jerusalem and wait for the promise of the father?

What is that promise?
Where is the comforter that He promised He would send?

Dosn't it say in the bible...(Romans 1)
[20]For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
[21] Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
[22] Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
[23] And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
[24] Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
[25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

What really gets me is that there are people who worship Mary and the apostles as if they are as great or greater than Jesus.
That is foolish thinking!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Jesus died on a cross for the forgivness of our sins.... I beleive the reason that Jesus died on a cross and not Tau is because of the mockary that was nailed above him the sign that read " Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews"

new topics

top topics

join