It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'to loosen' grip on internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

US 'to loosen' grip on internet

news.bbc.co.uk

Previous agreements gave the US close oversight of Icann - drawing criticism from other countries.

Earlier this year, the EU called on the US to relinquish its control and Icann to become "universally accountable".

"The US government is the only body to have had formal oversight of Icann's policies and activities since its inception in 1998," it said.

"The Commission believes that Icann should become universally accountable, not just to one government but to the global internet community.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

However, it is unlikely that the new agreement will sever the links between the US government and Icann entirely.

Rod Beckstrom, president and chief of the organisation, said in a letter to Congress last week that it would seek to maintain a "long term, formal relationship with the United States Government.
The body also has a separate agreement with the US - to run the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) - that expires in 2011.

I wanted to add a question mark at the end of this headline, but didn't want to risk distorting the actual story. What I find most frustrating about the MSM is they have created the need for me to constantly read between the lines of their stories. While this looks like a win for continued net neutrality one cannot be too sure.

In the past, separation from the government doesn't equal separation from it's influence. Many questionable organizations exist under the guise of a world authority when they are really under US government control via installed proxies. I don't think I need to mention names.

Is this meant to be more false reassurance while in reality they really tighten the belt? After all the Internet is "the #1 threat to national security".

I look forward to hearing all of your thoughts.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-10-2009 by The Savage Khan]

[edit on 26-10-2009 by The Savage Khan]

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Right, after all less regulation could mean more freedom for the big companies like AT&T and Comcast to scale back their services with capping like they've been wanting to for awhile. IIRC the FCC was pushing through some policy making it harder for them to do just that.

posted on Oct, 26 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Truekn

You remember correctly.

FCC and Comcast duke it out

Google, AT&T and the FCC

Could this be a sign the US government is opting to stay out of it? What is the result of less regulation? IIRC October 2008 taught us that lesson.

new topics

top topics

join